2024/03/23 Event CME

Just now, SamDieGurke said:

I hope Europe will get to see something from this too. Although its gonna be cloudy like everywhere anyways :(

Yep, same in the Czech Republic. I'm hoping for some nice storming, and if luck will be on our side, perhaps a tiny hole in the cloud cover!

If it is in the cme, but a question ace and dscovr, is it in the same position or is it in different positions? Why do they both show two different speeds, dscorv shows a speed of 610 kilometers per second and ace 750

2 minutes ago, SamDieGurke said:

I hope Europe will get to see something from this too. Although its gonna be cloudy like everywhere anyways :(

I think hoping is pointless at this point lol

3 minutes ago, MatejGrek said:

Yep, same in the Czech Republic. I'm hoping for some nice storming, and if luck will be on our side, perhaps a tiny hole in the cloud cover!

NO,CLOUDS CLOUDS AND ONLY CLOUDS. Do you see the radar? It's completely busted for us. Having thunderstorm today here is more likely than seeing aurora lol. And here thunderstorms are rare.

Edited by Peter Sedlák

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

true. Currently facing north. is the BT relatively "small" with 18 NT?

With the CH IMF at the time, that seems reasonable. The sheath may change a lot though, and I'd agree with @Philalethes, the flux rope should arrive in 4-5 hours if we go off of the Solar Orbiter.

1 minute ago, Isatsuki San said:

If it is in the cme, but a question ace and dscovr, is it in the same position or is it in different positions? Why do they both show two different speeds, dscorv shows a speed of 610 kilometers per second and ace 750

DSCOVR has a bad faraday cup, for the solar wind measurements. The MAG data is fine.

3 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

Dscovr is prone to malfunctions when cme's hit. Ace is more reliable with that

Just now, arjemma said:

The CME passed Solar Orbiter with a mostly positive Bz field. So if we get the same I don't think we will get a G4 or G5.

yeah thats the question. Have you seen their thread on Twitter? I dont know if we follow each other on there, i retweeted it.

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Woo, -18nT Bz

yeah i think they mentioned the sheath packed a negative BZ!

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

yeah thats the question. Have you seen their thread on Twitter? I dont know if we follow each other on there, i retweeted it.

yeah i think they mentioned the sheath packed a negative BZ!

I saw their posts but I haven't checked the threads, maybe I should do that haha. I have followed the data here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/space-and-atmospheric-physics/research/missions-and-projects/space-missions/solar-orbiter/updates/

Yea the sheat should give chaotic data with spikes up and down before entering the core. We might be able to reach G4 under a short period of time... maybe.

Edited by arjemma