CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

2024/03/23 Event CME

Just now, MinYoongi said:

it does make alot of sense, thank you. Its always easier to understand complexer stuff with examples like this :) 

I thought the positive BZ would "end" the G4.

Good morning :) 

Tnx Min! 

5 minutes ago, AlbertoGirardi said:

Quick question: I live at 46N latitude, in Italy, there are no clouds and I have a clear northern horizon until the mountains (less than 5 degrees from true horizon). Will I be able to see something? I have seen pictures of auroras from the September 2023 storm, but I don't understand why we could see them because we were not under the colored part of the aurora oval chart. 

Also, is there any chance of spotting them with the naked I or should I only with a camera? I am an amateur astronomer btw.

the chart is only a model :) just try your luck and watch twitter or aurora spotting apps,groups

5 minuten geleden, AlbertoGirardi zei:

Quick question: I live at 46N latitude, in Italy, there are no clouds and I have a clear northern horizon until the mountains (less than 5 degrees from true horizon). Will I be able to see something? I have seen pictures of auroras from the September 2023 storm, but I don't understand why we could see them because we were not under the colored part of the aurora oval chart. 

Also, is there any chance of spotting them with the naked I or should I only with a camera? I am an amateur astronomer btw.

This is really hard to say but I am leaning towards no at the moment with the current conditions. You'd need a camera on a tripod and use long exposures from your location and you might see some red colors in that case which is very high up in the atmosphere, like 200km and up. You won't see any green from your location.

The chart is only a computer model and indicates the possibility in % to see aurora straight up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

We are taking a slightly more direct hit than the Solar Orbiter as well.

Yeah, I think so too. The rope was ENW when it hit SolO, so the positive B_R (Bx) indicated that the rope passed by SolO on the opposite side of us; however, at this speed we're probably seeing a deflection angle of 15-20° at 1 au, and most of that deflection happens well after 0.4 au. Checks out with the field strength so far too, but I guess we'll find out in more detail quite soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, I think so too. The rope was ENW when it hit SolO, so the positive B_R (Bx) indicated that the rope passed by SolO on the opposite side of us; however, at this speed we're probably seeing a deflection angle of 15-20° at 1 au, and most of that deflection happens well after 0.4 au. Checks out with the field strength so far too, but I guess we'll find out in more detail quite soon.

what do you expect from the flux rope? Still ENW?

Currently in a very remote cabin all the way up in north Sweden with family who's never seen Northern lights before. The sky's completely clear, I'm really hoping for this. The darkness can't come soon enough... 🤞

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

what do you expect from the flux rope? Still ENW?

Judging by how the sheath seems to have corresponded fairly well to the SolO data so far, I'm afraid that's the most likely prognosis; but I certainly hope I'm mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

the sky is currently cloudless in my region. The last time I saw aurore at kp -7 was in November

Lucky you! Hopefully you be lucky to see it again

It is getting dark here fast and I got clear hole in the sky. I hope those clouds from Germany wont arrive fast, so it can get dark enough for pictures at least. Also the setup must get better, Bz already went south which is good. Solar wind speed also have risen a bit, but IMF went to 15 nT...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Sedlák said:

It is getting dark here fast and I got clear hole in the sky. I hope those clouds from Germany wont arrive fast, so it can get dark enough for pictures at least. Also the setup must get better, Bz already went south which is good. Solar wind speed also have risen a bit, but IMF went to 15 nT...

i will do my best to hold onto the clouds here in germany so you have a clear sky!! :) :D 

• Thanks 1