2024/03/23 Event CME

I'm ready for it too if it happens.

IMG_20240324_193239_760.thumb.jpg.68e9580073d219af07709edc1f2a5787.jpg

I'm not as well verses with all the technical terms and graph. I understand that the current Bz isn't great. How likely is it to see the northern lights with the current numbers, once it gets dark? What exactly are we waiting for for it to increase the chances of seeing northern lights tonight?

5 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

Bz should be moderately to strongly positive for the next 18-24 hours or more. Super short geomagnetic storm!

So, what is this based on?  Aside from the fact that it appears we’ve entered the flux rope and that it’s currently positive.  Is there data from stereo or some other satellite supporting the persistence?  I know that flux ropes have more “stable” magnetic orientations, but they do change throughout, sometimes shifting from north to south or visa-versa.  I’m not necessarily disagreeing that this is the case, but I’ve also come to learn that most predicts here are usually pretty speculative.  Mostly I’m curious if you know of some information beyond the usually rtsw that might be useful to look at.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NEAurora said:

So, what is this based on?  Aside from the fact that it appears we’ve entered the flux rope and that it’s currently positive.  Is there data from stereo or some other satellite supporting the persistence?  I know that flux ropes have more “stable” magnetic orientations, but they do change throughout, sometimes shifting from north to south or visa-versa.  I’m not necessarily disagreeing that this is the case, but I’ve also come to learn that most predicts here are usually pretty speculative.  Mostly I’m curious if you know of some information beyond the usually rtsw that might be useful to look at.

This is a good point. This is based on the fact that we are seeing similar data to Solar Orbiter, and the flux rope is starting out the same way. The only periods of this flux rope where any -Bz might be possible are towards the front and back end as it rotates east to west. Considering Bz is starting out fairly positive -- not a good sign.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

This is a good point. This is based on the fact that we are seeing similar data to Solar Orbiter, and the flux rope is starting out the same way. The only periods of this flux rope where any -Bz might be possible are towards the front and back end as it rotates east to west. Considering Bz is starting out fairly positive -- not a good sign.

How are you able to tell the flux rope orientation based off the data? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jamie McBean said:

How are you able to tell the flux rope orientation based off the data? 

By examination of the By and Bz components. By started out dominantly positive, therefore in an east position. With time, the By component is now weakening and the Bz component is becoming dominantly positive. That's how you know its orientation

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

By examination of the By and Bz components. By started out dominantly positive, therefore in an east position. With time, the By component is now weakening and the Bz component is becoming dominantly positive. That's how you know its orientation

I really try to understand it. But probably I don't. Can you tell me how do you know the time of 18 to 24 hours in positive direction? Is it not possible that Bz will drop in the next hours again? Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

I see thanks

30 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

I really try to understand it. But probably I don't. Can you tell me how do you know the time of 18 to 24 hours in positive direction? Is it not possible that Bz will drop in the next hours again? Thanks in advance. 

Such prediction is only possible in flux ropes in which the orientation is known. Since this one is east-north-west, we know it won’t rotate to a *stable* southward position. Solar Orbiter has also been a huge help

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

Der CME wurde von einem anderen Satelliten, Solar Orbiter beobachtet da er zufällig fast genau zwischen Sonne und Erde grade Positioniert ist. Somit konnte man ziemlich genau vorhersagen, was für eine "signatur" (OstNordWest) das "Fluxrope" hat. Also was für eine Ausrichtung. Diese Art des Forecastings ist noch sehr unerprobt und neu, und da Solar Orbiter selten in dieser guten Position ist, ist es nicht möglich das immer durchzuführen. :) Es ist quasi ein bisschen wie Stereo-A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a real bummer, the grunt of the storm hit during daylight in my location. FMI aurora index was blowing up over 3000. Saw 1200 max during november storm that caused auroras all over Finland. Super fast arrival for a CME!

I did manage to capture a strange phenomena: extremely bright, small and transitory (almost comet-looking), white coloured aurora against the bright glow of twilight. Any idea what this kind of phenomena is? Will add media later.

7 minutes ago, Tino Lehtonen said:

What a real bummer, the grunt of the storm hit during daylight in my location. FMI aurora index was blowing up over 3000. Saw 1200 max during november storm that caused auroras all over Finland. Super fast arrival for a CME!

I did manage to capture a strange phenomena: extremely bright, small and transitory (almost comet-looking), white coloured aurora against the bright glow of twilight. Any idea what this kind of phenomena is? Will add media later.

uhm, show us ?:)

36 minutes ago, Herr Salz said:

uhm, show us ?:)

I don't have access to a card reader now so I'll only show these poor quality monitor app screenshots for now. To my eye it seemed like the phenomena was part of the clouds and vanished as they passed the point where the light was. Is it possoble that something came all the way through to lower atmosphere?

Screenshot_20240325_005012_MonitorControl.thumb.jpg.72f7d228059c416bd2fa125827a44568.jpgScreenshot_20240325_005014_MonitorControl.thumb.jpg.21de4ebccebf365de5c9b08a01749984.jpg