2024/03/23 Event CME

Just now, Landon Moeller said:

In that case, the only thing that could drive us to G3 is the shock

Ah that's true, there could still be a bit of -Bz in the sheath I suppose

Personally, I have a fair bit of confidence in Christian's ENW prediction, although it is certainly an emerging science.

18 minutes ago, arjemma said:

I can't figure out what graph is the Bz one though, is it the last one? What does Br stand for? I haven't noticed that before. @Philalethes do you know?

It's RTN coordinates, where B_R is in the radial direction, same as Bx, but the two other directions are slightly different from By and Bz due to being aligned with the Solar spin axis; B_N is the normal direction, i.e. parallel to the spin axis, and B_T is the tangential direction, i.e. perpendicular to the spin axis. So roughly speaking B_T corresponds to By (but with positive and negative reversed) and B_N corresponds to Bz (not reversed). The last one is the total magnitude, i.e. the exact same as Bt.

Converting from RTN to GSM isn't trivial due to how the GSM coordinate system fluctuates intradaily as the geomagnetic poles precede around the geographic poles, but in some of the posts by ASWO (Austrian Space Weather Office) on X they've converted between them. That being said, they're typically close enough that it's a decent approximation, although it should be noted that it's around this time of year that the difference would be the largest (determined by the P-angle, which also determines the maximum contribution of the R-M effect to geomagnetic activity).

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

Ah that's true, there could still be a bit of -Bz in the sheath I suppose

Personally, I have a fair bit of confidence in Christian's ENW prediction, although it is certainly an emerging science.

The data from Solar Orbiter appears to suggest confirmation of an ENW configuration.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

It's RTN coordinates, where B_R is in the radial direction, same as Bx, but the two other directions are slightly different from By and Bz due to being aligned with the Solar spin axis; B_N is the normal direction, i.e. parallel to the spin axis, and B_T is the tangential direction, i.e. perpendicular to the spin axis. So roughly speaking B_T corresponds to By (but with positive and negative reversed) and B_N corresponds to Bz (not reversed). The last one is the total magnitude, i.e. the exact same as Bt.

Converting from RTN to GSM isn't trivial due to how the GSM coordinate system fluctuates intradaily as the geomagnetic poles precedes around the geographic poles, but in some of the posts by ASWO (Austrian Space Weather Office) on X they've converted between them. That being said, they're typically close enough that it's a decent approximation, although it should be noted that it's around this time of year that the difference would be the largest (determined by the P-angle, which also determines the maximum contribution of the R-M effect to geomagnetic activity).

Thank you so much @Philalethes and @Jesterface23!
I have totally missed this information so I learnt a bunch of new things now and I love that. ❤️❤️

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

One thing to note is the Solar orbiter is already around 6 degrees ahead of us. So what we see from there could be a bit more different than the last CME it was able to be compared to.

True, and I assume the CME will also expand a bit and maybe rotate a bit. I can't wait until it arrives at DSCOVR and ACE. I do hope DSCOVR stays active though so we can see the true density of the solar wind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

The data from Solar Orbiter appears to suggest confirmation of an ENW configuration.

Yep, that's what it looks like; I wondered why the B_T was so consistently large at first, but now it's clearly moving diagonally. If I'm visualizing the rope somewhat correctly I also think the B_R direction means that SolO essentially passed through the rope on the left ("east") side of its core.

Edited by Philalethes
clarity
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I just noticed the tweet from Solar Orbiter Mag. The satellite is 9 degrees off of the Earth-Sun line instead of 6 degrees. So we are in line for a slightly more direct impact from the CME as well.

I used NASA JPL Horizons ephemeris to get the more precise elongation. For the last time it shown 3.3 degrees and today we have 9.2 degrees. It might be a bit even more off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

What's up with the G2 right now? 

Coronal hole

Expecting the CME to arrive within the next 11 to 23 hours, if the IMF can stay elevated, we should be set for one pretty big IMF shock.

After the night ended in Europe, I woke up checking CME predictions on NASA Scoreboard and a few new predictions appeared. Worth noting one is almost as early as mine from SolO timings, suggesting a CME impact on DSCOVR as early as in 90-120 minutes.

image.thumb.png.d7a3867371497f9de777fd6e5ee5c006.png

Edited by libmar96
  • Cool 1

One clarification worth mentioning. The CME hasn't arrived to DSCOVR yet (as of 7:47 UT). If we actually compare distances between moments from previous page (of the recent filament, not yesterday's CME), we'll find out that average speed between Sun-SolO was slower than between SolO-DSCOVR. So something is a bit off. If Sol-O and DSCOVR were both exactly in the center of line, the CME would impact Earth 102 minutes later (8:41 UT), keeping calculated 1323 km/s average speed. But we know it slows down with distance. This gives additional 30-60 minutes for that time, because the front of CME is not a smooth arc and DSCOVR will observe it earlier, so we can apply minus 20 to it.

Edited by libmar96
  • Like 1

I just tried calculating an arrival time roughly based on Solar Orbiters data and it fell just before my official L1 arrival time prediction, a little bit past noon.

ACE is still glitchy, but there should be a EPAMp steeper gradual rise prior to the CME arrival. If we are lucky, maybe we will get a 6 hour heads up. Now to get off and get some sleep in before whenever it arrives.

• Like 2

I must interject to mention the detection of a fast galactic transient, a source of X-rays that do not originate from our sun, by our slew of detectors over the past couple of weeks.

We have regularly been seeing activity in our atmosphere and at our detectors, both ground-based and in various L-points, of "transient" flares that are reaching Earth. 

This is only notable for the sake of academics; it may not pertain to the "discussion in the room" but it also might, due to the recent and raw nature of the data and discovery of this incoming energy.

https://gcn.nasa.gov/circulars

2 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

I just tried calculating an arrival time roughly based on Solar Orbiters data and it fell just before my official L1 arrival time prediction, a little bit past noon.

ACE is still glitchy, but there should be a EPAMp steeper gradual rise prior to the CME arrival. If we are lucky, maybe we will get a 6 hour heads up. Now to get off and get some sleep in before whenever it arrives.

Looks like something is definitely going on. The glitchy signal is now gone and now there is a steep rise in low-energy protons is starting. Need to wait some hours, but won't rule out that the CME is near.

Electron, Proton, and Alpha Monitor (EPAM)