2024/03/23 Event CME

2 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

The halo CME just impacted Solar Orbiter a few hours ago with a shock strength of 120 nT. It is 9.5° west of the Sun-earth line at a distance of 0.39 AU from the sun

what does that mean? for earth? 

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

what does that mean? for earth? 

Following the timing, likely arrival near midnight on the 25th UTC. Following the inverse square law, probably a max B strength of 25-40 nT at Earth

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Landon Moeller said:

Following the timing, likely arrival near midnight on the 25th UTC. Following the inverse square law, probably a max B strength of 25-40 nT at Earth

Thank you. Im too stupid to calculate the Inverse square Law.

50 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

El halo CME acaba de impactar contra Solar Orbiter hace unas horas con una fuerza de choque de 120 nT . Está a 9,5° al oeste de la línea Sol-Tierra a una distancia de 0,39 AU del sol.

wait.... does that mean it will arrive soon?...

55 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

El halo CME acaba de impactar contra Solar Orbiter hace unas horas con una fuerza de choque de 120 nT . Está a 9,5° al oeste de la línea Sol-Tierra a una distancia de 0,39 AU del sol.

Wait, does that mean it will arrive much sooner than expected? Or is it still until March 25?

10 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

Wait, does that mean it will arrive much sooner than expected? Or is it still until March 25?

i think still march 25.

Just saw the SolO updates myself, that's quite fast indeed. Here's the plot they posted:

GJXy-APh-Xg-AE0mje.png

At a glance the flux rope doesn't seem like the best for geomagnetic activity, but at those strengths the sheath itself could potentially yield some. I also wonder how the B_T (roughly equivalent to By) is so consistently high, can't readily visualize how the flux rope is hitting to make that happen.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

I'm seeing late 24th to early 25th

This is going to be interesting with the CIR stream also being present.

1 hour ago, Landon Moeller said:

The halo CME just impacted Solar Orbiter a few hours ago with a shock strength of 120 nT. It is 9.5° west of the Sun-earth line at a distance of 0.39 AU from the sun

That looks quite extreme. Please verify my calculations below (and just in case, my timings as well). The recent predictions using Solar Orbiter were interestingly accurate, so I used the same thing to predict.

The recent filament was noted to be erupted on 17th March 2024 around 02:00 UT. I used heloviewer.org images and I noted the movement of filament at 02:05 UT, so I'm keeping this date and time of eruption. Solar Orbiter detected a significant increase of IMF on 18th March 2024 at 16:57 UT. It is 38 hours and 52 minutes after the eruption (2332 mins). A similar increase was observed by DSCOVR on 21st March 2024 at 02:22 UT. It is 96 hours and 17 minutes after the eruption (5777 mins), almost exactly 4 days. The Solar Orbiter was at distance of 0.39 AU from the Sun. I'll try proportions there - dividing 2332 and 5777 gives a result of 0.4037, approximately the value of distance. 

The current distance of SolO is 0.38 AU. Approximately the same. At the same CME speed, it would reach maybe 30-60 minutes earlier I guess - not a significant value. That means I can try to divide the travel duration from Sun to Solar Orbiter of current CME and it would output a moment of reaching Earth. The peak of X-flare was on 23th March 2024 01:33 UT. The SolO detected CME on 23th March 2024 13:30 UT with flux rope on 15:10 UT later same day.

This means it took only 11h 57m for the CME to reach Solar Orbiter at 0.39 AU? Dividing by 0.4037, I get the travel time of CME of 1776 minutes. 1 day, 5 hours and 36 minutes after X-class peak is tomorrow at 7:09 UT. For the flux rope, 11:17 UT (both 24th March).

Am I wrong somewhere? That CME reached Solar Orbiter way too fast! That's G4 stuff coming tomorrow if you can confirm/verify this. That's way earlier than expected!

Edited by libmar96
  • Like 1

you didn't take into account that the sun slows down the ejection as it travels to Earth

12 minutes ago, libmar96 said:

That looks quite extreme. Please verify my calculations below (and just in case, my timings as well). The recent predictions using Solar Orbiter were interestingly accurate, so I used the same thing to predict.

The recent filament was noted to be erupted on 17th March 2024 around 02:00 UT. I used heloviewer.org images and I noted the movement of filament at 02:05 UT, so I'm keeping this date and time of eruption. Solar Orbiter detected a significant increase of IMF on 18th March 2024 at 16:57 UT. It is 38 hours and 52 minutes after the eruption (2332 mins). A similar increase was observed by DSCOVR on 21st March 2024 at 02:22 UT. It is 96 hours and 17 minutes after the eruption (5777 mins), almost exactly 4 days. The Solar Orbiter was at distance of 0.39 AU from the Sun. I'll try proportions there - dividing 2332 and 5777 gives a result of 0.4037, approximately the value of distance. 

The current distance of SolO is 0.38 AU. Approximately the same. At the same CME speed, it would reach maybe 30-60 minutes earlier I guess - not a significant value. That means I can try to divide the travel duration from Sun to Solar Orbiter of current CME and it would output a moment of reaching Earth. The peak of X-flare was on 23th March 2024 01:33 UT. The SolO detected CME on 23th March 2024 13:30 UT with flux rope on 15:10 UT later same day.

This means it took only 11h 57m for the CME to reach Solar Orbiter at 0.39 AU? Dividing by 0.4037, I get the travel time of CME of 1776 minutes. 1 day, 5 hours and 36 minutes after X-class peak is tomorrow at 7:09 UT. For the flux rope, 11:17 UT (both 24th March).

Am I wrong somewhere? That CME reached Solar Orbiter way too fast! That's G4 stuff coming tomorrow if you can confirm/verify this. That's way earlier than expected!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tniickck said:

you didn't take into account that the sun slows down the ejection as it travels to Earth

I would need this to be clarified. It certainly slows down, but we have certain moments of detections of SolO and DSCOVR. These actually contain slows down by definition. If it would slow down faster, DSCOVR would simply detect much later. So I'm using proportions of timings, not proportions of distances.

Another thing is, if CME and a filament slow down differently. This is what I don't know. But I think it doesn't matter. More if we have a coronal hole or something, actually it's in our favor now.

Edited by libmar96

35 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Just saw the SolO updates myself, that's quite fast indeed. Here's the plot they posted:

GJXy-APh-Xg-AE0mje.png

At a glance the flux rope doesn't seem like the best for geomagnetic activity, but at those strengths the sheath itself could potentially yield some. I also wonder how the B_T (roughly equivalent to By) is so consistently high, can't readily visualize how the flux rope is hitting to make that happen.

Some of the experts from ASWO have estimated, based on its source location, that it would be ENW flux rope. So far, the initial portion of the flux rope is verified. It is likely to rotate north yet, but won’t know until we see it in the SolO data

16 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

NOAA has just issued a G3 (KP = 7) Watch for the 25th:

WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G3 Predicted

Highest Storm Level Predicted by Day:
Mar 24:  G2 (Moderate)   
Mar 25:  G3 (Strong)

Makes sense. Do you think G4 is probable like libmar said? i think the models look pretty accurate i dont think it reached sol-o too early?

Finally the sun gives us some actions. 

It will be interesting how the solar wind data will evolve the coming couple of days since we have several things going on. I would estimate a hit late tomorrow UTC or early monday (march 25).

I just love that the Solar Orbiter happens to be positioned almost in line with earth during an event like this. Very exciting indeed.

There is somewhat live data from Solar Orbiter here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/space-and-atmospheric-physics/research/missions-and-projects/space-missions/solar-orbiter/updates/
I can't figure out what graph is the Bz one though, is it the last one? What does Br stand for? I haven't noticed that before. @Philalethes do you know?

5 minutes ago, arjemma said:

I can't figure out what graph is the Bz one though, is it the last one? What does Br stand for? I haven't noticed that before.

The Earth-Sun/Satellite-Sun line is Bx and Br. The difference is By and Bz, and Bt and Bn are rotated on that Bx/Br axis differently.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The Earth-Sun/Satellite-Sun line is Bx and Br. The difference is By and Bz, and Bt and Bn are rotated on that Bx/Br axis differently.

Aah that makes sense, thank you!