AR3615

Wolf star
Go to solution Solved by Davbit,

8 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

This is a... special... reply... Anyone can use any profile picture he or she wants as long as it is in good taste and follows our community guidelines. Which his image complies with. As he stated himself, it is a picture from his Facebook profile. Commenting on it is... I'd say a tad weird and off topic, especially when you are bringing food in the discussion? If you really want to discuss food habits or whatever, just take it to PM's directly next time and let's keep this topic about one of the most exciting sunspot region in years.

You didn't had to change your picture @Sotiris Konstantis if you didn't feel like it. It wasn't inappropriate at all.

I think @Christopher Shriver account is hacked because there were strange posts like this one: 

1 minute ago, Marcel de Bont said:

This is a... special... reply... Anyone can use any profile picture he or she wants as long as it is in good taste and follows our community guidelines. Which his image complies with. As he stated himself, it is a picture from his Facebook profile. Commenting on it is... I'd say a tad weird and off topic, especially when you are bringing food in the discussion? If you really want to discuss food habits or whatever, just take it to PM's directly next time and let's keep this topic about one of the most exciting sunspot region in years.

You didn't had to change your picture @Sotiris Konstantis if you didn't feel like it. It wasn't inappropriate at all.

Thanks for the reply. It's okay! I thought of changing the photo many times, but I never thought it was that 'important' to anyone. After all I only post on extremely active times like this, and before this region I only had a dozen posts although I've been following this site since 2017! Also, since we're off topic anyway, I wanted to tell you that as a website developer, it's truly one of the best sites I have seen ever. The quality, features, scale etc are top level  example of what I try to do when coding my sites and I have taken great example of it over the years. Anyway. I won't reply again since we're off topic. Everything fine with the photo. Let's focus on the region.

• Like 3

There is a striking similarity between the Christopher Shriver posts and another individual who left about nine months ago after an altercation with @MinYoongi Possibly the same individual in this case @Marcel de Bontthat individual left after saying “ this forum sucks” paraphrasing here. Just another possibility. He signed as @Christopher S.

Edited by hamateur 1953
Remote possibility
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

There is a striking similarity between the Christopher Shriver posts and another individual who left about nine months ago after an altercation with @MinYoongi Possibly the same individual in this case @Marcel de Bontthat individual left after saying “ this forum sucks” paraphrasing here. Just another possibility. He signed as @Christopher S.

As a matter of fact, that is an impressive recall you possess. You are entirely correct, and the whole schtick with the bare-chested profile picture is not some campaign of outrage, but just a jest, in all reality. I feel somewhat vindicated, but entirely mistaken in my past rash assessment of the culture that has prevailed over time, here.

Note the mixture of elderly and "gen z" as it were - but understand the distraction that prevails by putting the human form foremost in your identity on a supposedly science-engaged platform. Personally, yeah, don't mind. But in context of random visitors here, it reflects oddly upon the culture which seems to rise and police itself into conformity; I will accept the official statement given by Marcel wholeheartedly. It is without flaw.

29 minutes ago, Sotiris Konstantis said:

Thanks for the reply. It's okay! I thought of changing the photo many times, but I never thought it was that 'important' to anyone. After all I only post on extremely active times like this, and before this region I only had a dozen posts although I've been following this site since 2017! Also, since we're off topic anyway, I wanted to tell you that as a website developer, it's truly one of the best sites I have seen ever. The quality, features, scale etc are top level  example of what I try to do when coding my sites and I have taken great example of it over the years. Anyway. I won't reply again since we're off topic. Everything fine with the photo. Let's focus on the region.

I hope you understand that the randomness and absurdum was not to provoke anything but introspective on what appears here, and how it may be potentially distracting.

2 minutes ago, Sotiris Konstantis said:

Wow. Never seen all-red in the probability chart. Crazy stats.

image.png.3c0b06cd4f749411534595f5b3135c59.png

Funfact: Yesterday the Noaa Swpc ducked up and gave AR3614 a 25% X-Flare chance :D 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Funfact: Yesterday the Noaa Swpc ducked up and gave AR3614 a 25% X-Flare chance :D 

The maximum I've seen too was 25% and I can't remember a time when they gave 25% and we didn't have an X flare. They are usually very conservative so 45% today is crazy!

Can agree with you all - my first time seeing all flare probabilities red with X-class chance 45%! The region seems to still be very active and can also agree with @hamateur 1953 - in my opinion best region in this solar cycle so far. My question - after this period of no significant flares from this region, is it still possible that it puts out some X-class event? 

1 minute ago, MeteoLatvia said:

Can agree with you all - my first time seeing all flare probabilities red with X-class chance 45%! The region seems to still be very active and can also agree with @hamateur 1953 - in my opinion best region in this solar cycle so far. My question - after this period of no significant flares from this region, is it still possible that it puts out some X-class event? 

yes of course. as long as complexity is there theres a chance.

• Like 1

It's been fun following along with the development of this spot even though I've had too much other stuff going on to post about it myself. When I do get to check in, I just love refreshing the SWL sunspot page and seeing this:

LetMeClearMyThroat.JPG

And of course thank all of you guys who have kept the updates coming quite nicely.

Edited by cgrant26
  • Like 1

So far it's been a pretty disappointing day in terms of activity in the region. I want to think that it waits until tomorrow so as not to downplay the geomagnetic storm

6 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

So far it's been a pretty disappointing day in terms of activity in the region. I want to think that it waits until tomorrow so as not to downplay the geomagnetic storm

I'm start to worry that this region by tommorow would be out of the so called "Earth-strike zone" and already too far West?

The bright thing that can be seen on LASCO at the moment is on the farside, right? Since there was no major solar flare or anything else in the last few hours.

I apologize that I do not have available a picture to accompany this question. When observing the magnetic properties of 14 and 15, I noticed that the two spots positive and negative regions are mostly positioned on opposite sides and that the regions have  filaments(?) connecting positive of one spot to negative of the other, forming a bit of a filament(?) rectangle between the two spots. My question is this; does the fact that these two spots have linked up this way create more stability within the spots and reduce flare potential? 

1 hour ago, MeteoLatvia said:

I'm start to worry that this region by tommorow would be out of the so called "Earth-strike zone" and already too far West?

Definitely not too far west yet 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Misaka said:

The bright thing that can be seen on LASCO at the moment is on the farside, right? Since there was no major solar flare or anything else in the last few hours.

@Jesterface23 Usually knows. ill take a look at suvi and sdo 

sdo is not loading properly for me -..- 

0da226d6faf720b632a94e73a84b7ff4.png

@Misaka i caught the end of it on Suvi. It looks like a filament eruption :) 

https://gyazo.com/2185db8b349b2f3058538067d290d8ee here is a video

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

@Jesterface23 Usually knows. ill take a look at suvi and sdo 

sdo is not loading properly for me -..- 

0da226d6faf720b632a94e73a84b7ff4.png

@Misaka i caught the end of it on Suvi. It looks like a filament eruption :) 

https://gyazo.com/2185db8b349b2f3058538067d290d8ee here is a video

Yeah, looks more impressive on C2/C3 than SDO but definitely a South pole-ish filament release and seemed to be slightly far sided. Either way, nothing to do with 3615 which has been nearly constantly flaring all day today but all lower M and C class flares. It certainly says something about this region when words like "boring" are used to describe this:  😄

3615_clusters.JPG

• Haha 1