AR3615

Wolf star
Go to solution Solved by Davbit,

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

3590 gave us a G4 storm. It just took it an extra month and a new number lol

Yeah they decide to shoot out earth directed CME's when the regions looks unimpressive instead.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

22185565ec89255688754ecf1a986d23.png

It looks okay, the umbras are relatively close. when did this delta form/intensify?

I think it's been growing consistently for about 10-12 hours now. It started a little after 06:00:00UTC

Despite this region keeps popping M flares, it's true potential was (or still is) much higher. Overall a disappointment for me. Not one X flare from this region (The one with 3614 doesn't count). Let's hope this region is not the highlight of cycle 25.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Just checked the unsigned flux for this region again, and now it's surpassed the 1e+23 Mx threshold where eruptive flares tend to be very unlikely (the post @Parabolic made about it a little while ago with the article is here); that's higher than even 3590 ever got.

Perhaps limb of disappointment can prove us wrong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Just checked the unsigned flux for this region again, and now it's surpassed the 1e+23 Mx threshold where eruptive flares tend to be very unlikely (the post @Parabolic made about it a little while ago with the article is here); that's higher than even 3590 ever got.

Tnx for reposting that @Philalethes

28 minutes ago, mozy said:

Perhaps limb of disappointment can prove us wrong.

There's definitely always a chance. Even in the flares investigated in that paper there are some outliers, like what looks to be an eruptive M4 flare that occurred at around this flux; but it sure looks less likely. I'll definitely be watching the flux of large regions in the future to see how well that statistical relationship really holds, although it's hard to say what happens to it once the regions rotate out of view.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Philalethes said:

There's definitely always a chance. Even in the flares investigated in that paper there are some outliers, like what looks to be an eruptive M4 flare that occurred at around this flux; but it sure looks less likely. I'll definitely be watching the flux of large regions in the future to see how well that statistical relationship really holds, although it's hard to say what happens to it once the regions rotate out of view.

So it's possible for flares to break free from magnetic caging?

10 minutes ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

So it's possible for flares to break free from magnetic caging?

Well, I suspect there is a dynamic at play there between the eruptive forces and the confining forces, but I think that dynamic is probably quite complex. Considering e.g. the aforementioned M4 flare, there were plenty of flares in the study which were stronger, but ended up being confined, despite occurring at roughly the same flux. It might be because the flux itself doesn't necessarily tell you everything about how much confinement there actually is, and that two regions with the same flux can have different levels of confinement due to the details of the region structures, but it's clearly a principle which seems to hold in the general case.

So it's hard to say whether that M4 flare broke free from its cage, or whether there wasn't actually that strong of a cage there in that particular case, but if I were to guess I would say that a sufficiently powerful flare can indeed break the confinement by virtue of simply outmatching the confining force with more eruptive force; I would also say that the data in that paper does show evidence for that, with eruptive flares at the moderate fluxes tending to be significantly stronger on average, but since stronger flares tend to be more eruptive in general you might need to do some more in-depth statistical analysis to find out if that really is the case or not.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mozy said:

Loops rising, prelude to an eruption?

Hard to say exactly what's going on; in 284 Å it seems like some loops broke off a bit earlier already, but in 304 Å it looks like it started with an eruption a couple of hours ago that rained straight back down, and that maybe these rising loops are just the aftermath of that. Not sure.

But I do agree, it does look like something's breaking or about to break off in 171 and 284 Å, so could definitely be some eruption going on or about to happen.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Hard to say exactly what's going on; in 284 Å it seems like some loops broke off a bit earlier already, but in 304 Å it looks like it started with an eruption a couple of hours ago that rained straight back down, and that maybe these rising loops are just the aftermath of that. Not sure.

But I do agree, it does look like something's breaking or about to break off in 171 and 284 Å, so could definitely be some eruption going on or about to happen.

Do you mean this one?

2024-03-28_14-35-07.gif?ex=6617e851&is=6

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mozy said:

Loops rising, prelude to an eruption?

Definitely looks like it's about to. Loops that initially started rising mostly connected passed the west limb but reconnected to itself and began rising higher. They are also more sporadic than the surrounding loops. The base of the loops are also brightening.