Region 3576

Jesterface23

1 minute ago, chronical said:

STEREO seems to be late for some reason, its stuck at 15 UTC

We aren't receiving data from SA right now. It came back at 2:00Z this morning, so I'd expect it to come back around the same time again.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I gotta say, i wonder where the flare came from though? Any ideas? 

It showed signs of instability for a little bit now. It looks like this little area of negative polarity was centered around it

Screenshot_20240210-164826~4.png

Edited by Parabolic
Used wrong jargon

Nice!  Almost an X.  More to come later I suspect!  About time.  Picked up spots and surface area today regrowth for a change.  Bravo. Keep it up 3576 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Kudos to performance

5 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

res50_pBDI_0009.jpg

Okay okay... bit of a northward eruption but lets see LASCO when its available... not as bad as I thought.

:) nice that you update us all. thanks.

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

Now to wait a few hours for either SOHO's or STEREO A's coronagraph imagery heh

yeeopp waiting game

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

:) nice that you update us all. thanks.

yeeopp waiting game

I wouldn't say it's a near miss for our planet just yet (I'm only disagreeing with the person on Twitter). 3576 is the most centered-disked region we've had in a while to give us a nice flare. I am pretty confident we'll get a fair portion of a solar storm. I'm more worried that the solar storms from the filaments will impede this solar storm 😅

• Like 1

Here I've drawn in some things to consider:

cme.png

The red square is some coronal loops that appear to remain relatively static throughout the imagery and obstruct the observed dimming, but it looks like the dimming extends in that direction too, leading to a temporary little coronal hole (the dimming) corresponding roughly to the yellow circle. I've roughly drawn in the center of it with green and a green line connecting it to the origin, giving perhaps some idea of the angle.

Actual numerical estimates based on this rough sketch are likely to be wrong, but if we consider only the northwards component and a basic assumption of how far up that hole is we can estimate the angle in the northwards direction; we could say the dimming we're seeing is a hole at around ~0.5 Solar radii above the photosphere (this will probably be the biggest source of error, I don't really even know if it's close to correct, I couldn't find any good data on it right now), and observe that the northwards movement as we see it in two dimensions is also ~0.5 Solar radii, which would imply a ~45° angle northwards.

This would of course be wildly different depending on high up you assume that final dimming to occur, if you were to assume it's just ~0.25 Solar radii instead then the angle would be just ~26° (i.e. 64° northwards), and vice versa if you assume ~1 Solar radius of height instead. Hence why I wouldn't use this for an estimate without a better idea of that height, but it should at least give some visual representation of what's going on.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Drax Spacex said:

Did this flare create a coronal hole?  Or maybe just "coronal restructuring."

https://ibb.co/VqRs0vz

In a thread long ago I did find some papers, including some comments by Scott, which said that there wasn't really any practical difference between the temporary dimming following ejections and the more permanent coronal holes; thus why such dimming is also often referred to as a transient coronal hole.

Dug up the post, it's this one.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

In a thread long ago I did find some papers, including some comments by Scott, which said that there wasn't really any practical difference between the temporary dimming following ejections and the more permanent coronal holes; thus why such dimming is also often referred to as a transient coronal hole.

Dug up the post, it's this one.

An interesting quote from that post:  "This makes the possibility of fast solar wind streams following immediately behind CME associated with the coronal dimming real."

• Like 2

Just now, Drax Spacex said:

An interesting quote from that post:  "This makes the possibility of fast solar wind streams following immediately behind CME associated with the coronal dimming real."

That's an intriguing possibility.
Can anyone remember seeing something like this?  Might be time to dig into the archives...

5 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

That's an intriguing possibility.
Can anyone remember seeing something like this?  Might be time to dig into the archives...

I believe Dr.Tamitha Skov explains this in one of her mini courses. Also, if you go back and watch AR3575 you can see it 'eat' the CH it formed next to. It started sometime early 02/03. I thought that was very interesting and never seen it before 🙂