AR 13296

Philalethes

4 minutes ago, Calder said:

This is one of those times where I wish we had new coronagraphs at L1. The wait is unbearable lol. It’ll be really nice to have frequent data once they send them up in a year or two.

Heh, my wish is for STEREO A can stay put. Just that slight distance away from Earth is incredibly useful along with coronagraphs at L1.

6 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Heh, my wish is for STEREO A can stay put. Just that slight distance away from Earth is incredibly useful along with coronagraphs at L1.

Yeah its getting closer and getting uselesser :( 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

Here's our nice full halo,

image.thumb.jpeg.1a247aa47ee30110895dbf0c2ef58b1e.jpeg

" It would appear that the bulk of plasma is heading to the northwest, however a halo is still visible meaning that there should be an Earth directed component. If so, an impact to our geomagnetic field may be possible by May 10th. More updates to follow regarding this event." 

From solarham

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Calder said:

The proton flux is rising from this flare.

Could also be from the nearing/arriving CME 

35 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

The ultimate example of why every little bit of activity doesn't need commentary.

I'll try to elaborate: Patience is a virtue. That's all I've got at the moment.

It’s nice to speculate and follow things in real time though. I get what your point is but it’s fun :) 

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Could also be from the nearing/arriving CME 

You might be mistaken or maybe I wasn’t clear. Rising (high energy) proton flux indicates a strong eruption on the sun. GOES Proton Flux is measuring high energy particles, while EPAM is measuring low energy particles. A rise in protons on the EPAM could indicate a CME nearing but I’m pretty sure a rise in GOES proton flux is not indicative of a CME nearing. It’s still rising.

3A619B3C-FAC9-47EE-8BD7-A3085CAA23F2.jpeg.200e4985bfb91d43d05d4f02ed0fe3f2.jpeg

Edited by Calder
Added more clarity

16 minutes ago, Calder said:

You might be mistaken or maybe I wasn’t clear. Rising flux indicates a strong eruption on the sun. Goes Proton Flux is measuring high energy particles, while EPAM is measuring low energy particles. A rise in protons on the EPAM could indicate a CME nearing but I’m pretty sure a rise in the flux is not indicative of a CME nearing. It’s still rising.

There is a gradient of the structuring of mass which trails behind protons, which eventful or not should still be considered as a sort of "heading" for more dense ejecta. Considering the eruptive events in the past few days, it is perfectly viable to take pot-shots at what is going on through these admittedly rudimentary physics. I will agree and add that the data on EPAM isn't an indicator for nearness by any means, but rather that any eruptive event in questions will have directed high-energy protons and therefore some order of magnitude of mass thereafter, depending of course on interfering phenomenon like N Bz.

I will further add that any increase to the X-Ray Flux only occurs on the Earth-facing side of the sun, and not on far-side events. This is important because any halo CMEs associated with a rise on this graph are markers of certainty, that geomagnetic disturbances are coming.

As always, this is nothing to worry about. Aurora at best, your microwave not heating your burrito all the way through at worst.

Edited by Christopher S.

6 hours ago, Calder said:

You might be mistaken or maybe I wasn’t clear. Rising (high energy) proton flux indicates a strong eruption on the sun. GOES Proton Flux is measuring high energy particles, while EPAM is measuring low energy particles. A rise in protons on the EPAM could indicate a CME nearing but I’m pretty sure a rise in GOES proton flux is not indicative of a CME nearing. It’s still rising.

I’m not mistaking it. I know it’s most likely from this recent flare, but *sometimes* cmes carry protons with them 😅

8 hours ago, Paulo Scaldaferri said:

Cactus updated… only 20 degrees??

That algorithm really struggles sometimes; but now it's showing a type IV 282° halo, first I've seen there in a while. Relatively low median velocity though, which seems congruent with observations too.

• Like 1