Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

It looks to be Earth-directed with an offset halo in SOHO's imagery, but I guess it will be up to how fast the CME is. By the looks of that STEREO C2 image the flux rope might be a miss, but the viewing angle isn't level with SOHO (not exactly sure what it is currently).

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It looks to be Earth-directed with an offset halo in SOHO's imagery, but I guess it will be up to how fast the CME is. By the looks of that STEREO C2 image the flux rope might be a miss, but the viewing angle isn't level with SOHO (not exactly sure what it is currently).

Oh so it might be above the plane that Earth is on.

6 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

Oh so it might be above the plane that Earth is on.

Yeah, and the bright area is the Flux rope. Then there is a duller shock that will be harder to see in STEREO's C2 low-res imagery, might be visible in differenced imagery if what you posted isn't already it.

• Like 1

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

Yeah, and the bright area is the Flux rope. Then there is a duller shock that will be harder to see in STEREO's C2 low-res imagery, might be visible in differenced imagery if what you posted isn't already it.

I posted the difference image there. LASCO should be more revealing of shock waves

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

We finally have LASCO C2 difference imagery and it looks like a partial halo for the majority of the area south of the equator: https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=hdGN5

NASA ENLIL also now models glancing blow by early Friday morning (the 7th): https://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/iSWACygnetStreamer?timestamp=2038-01-23+00%3A44%3A00&window=-1&cygnetId=261

Edited by Landon Moeller

4 hours ago, Landon Moeller said:

We finally have LASCO C2 difference imagery and it looks like a partial halo for the majority of the area south of the equator: https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=hdGN5

My favorite is running Base Difference. I don't think this is on the online version, but I max the contrast and flip the color table.

• Cool 1

17 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Something you can watch the last hours of images play back as a video, like the SDO page on SWL

Unfortunately I believe GOES SUVI only offers the 3hr loops of most recent images, and then that data is gone from view. No other movies offered. 

841B0391-1C93-4B8E-A030-6E6980BEA1A5.jpeg.55268936a7518ce9934af3b693bbfa66.jpegA9B8581B-F1F8-4033-9214-2565AC8BADD9.jpeg.90077368bee9d61ae6bcf903ba73ab4d.jpeg

Lots of filaments on the sun today. I've got H-alpha on my telescope, still learning how to use it, but there is plenty of stuff in the sun to check out!

I hope all y'all are having a nice day, and check out dem filaments! 
That short dark one is near 3112 and looks kinda short but intense to me!

WnA

pictures are from gong / these are closest to the wavelength I'm using. Next step -camera! It's a beautiful day, conditions are deteriorating a little because of the heat.,.. 

Last pic.  I thought H-alpha would be cool, but the oh a is much better than I can hope for.

Plenty of filaments here...

363FC7EE-C1C6-422C-A2A6-886B8AADF4F5.thumb.jpeg.f68c4ce342923e854eebd8105c88f93f.jpegenjoy! I am 😉

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

3 hours ago, Orneno said:

Something you can watch the last hours of images play back as a video, like the SDO page on SWL

Hi Orneno,

Almost all the images on SUVI are available on SDO -> sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov

SDO doesn’t have the image for 294A, but it does have all the others, along with a couple that aren’t on SUVI

You can also find archived data from GEOS 16/17 (SUVI) here:

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/satellite/goes-r.html

The SDO website also has archived data…

Hope this helps!

WnA

• Thanks 1

SUVI and SDO images are from different satellites.  SUVI is from GOES-16, GOES-17, and GOES-18 satellites (I'm not sure which is the primary source for images).  SDO is from the aged SDO satellite (launched in 2010).

SUVI images have a larger field of view, good for viewing prominences and filament eruptions that extend well beyond the perimeter of the solar disk.

The SDO image archive and web user interface for image or movie generation is very good.  SUVI, not so much!

4 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

SUVI and SDO images are from different satellites.  SUVI is from GOES-16, GOES-17, and GOES-18 satellites (I'm not sure which is the primary source for images).  SDO is from the aged SDO satellite (launched in 2010).

SUVI images have a larger field of view, good for viewing prominences and filament eruptions that extend well beyond the perimeter of the solar disk.

The SDO image archive and web user interface for image or movie generation is very good.  SUVI, not so much!

The primary sources for the SUVI images are GEOS 16 & 17.  You can find additional details on SWPC. I believe GEOS 16 is actually the primary and GEOS 17 is secondary/backup. But, you can check on SWPC yourself.

SDO - Solar Dynamics Observatory, I don't think it's quite "ancient" yet, even at 12 years old!  

SOHO was launched in 1995 - as a two year mission, currently extended to mid 2023. And that's where LASCO C2 &C3 images come from (I believe).

SDOs images are archived every day as part of the helioviewer project:

There is a new tool available to view/visualize images of the sun - going back 15 years.  I just started playing with it - it looks pretty cool so far (read useful).  It allows you to access millions of images, create movies, colorized images, etc. 

Worth a look... 

https://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/2010_12_14/

All y'all have a good day!

WnA

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy All Y’all!

It appears there was a large filament eruption producing a small CME on the NE limb. I saw a couple of different numbers for size, but in H-alpha, I could see a prominence of plasma coming out of the sun, extending at least 250,000 km from the sun - at least that’s what was visible to me. The were a couple of very bright and beautiful “filament pieces”.  If ya look on Gong, you can see the ends, but not most of it because it extends beyond the files of view!

Cheers!

WnA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xavier Stanton said:

I'm not sure how to post pictures yet, but it looks like a filament erupted near the western limb up north at around 16:20 UTC today

Yes - visible on SDO 304 and now also on Stereo Ahead COR2 and LASCO c2 and c3.  It did produce a CME.  As you say mostly north and west, but it might be wide enough for a glancing blow at Earth.  No forecast update yet on SWPC that includes this event.