Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

20 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The ejecta is still there is GOES 304 imagery.

A difference first image from SOHO C3. Waiting for the imagery gap to fill to see if it actually is related.

image.thumb.jpeg.49897a77f63b9ceac2c85836a9ccab06.jpeg

is it a full halo? 

3 hours ago, tniickck said:

is it a full halo? 

The image actually looks to be a mix of a megaton of CMEs launching around the Sun. This CME does have an Earth directed component in C2 imagery, but I can't really give any more detail at this point.

I can see some of it in the C3 imagery, but I don't think the CME is noteworthy. Maybe beside the solar imagery. That's cool

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

Odd such a big looking eruption looks so pathetic on the coronagraphs

Yeah. I was expecting more. Still though, I'm wondering if the CME that's hitting us now and faster solar wind speed will give the CME from yesterday a bit more oomph.

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

i see there was a halo 3 CME just an hour before the solar radiation grew up

It may have been the far side events. Adding on to it, a pretty eruptive event occurred a bit over an hour ago.

You can open new topics to ask question as well or go into one that better fits the subject (And in the right sub-forum)

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a more appropriate thread for filaments @cgrant26, since it doesn't appear to be directly related to 3380; but that filament sure does look very interesting. It has that classic sigmoidal ("serpentine") shape that's typically associated with magnetic instabilities, could be promising. Interestingly it seems to be clearly visible in almost every single wavelength of imagery.

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

El filamento ciertamente lanzó un CME en el extremo más lento de la escala, supongo razonablemente que no es menos de 60 horas de tiempo de viaje.

I'm starting to get scared, a cme has arrived..., don't tell me it's m 4?Electron Proton y Alpha Monitor (EPAM)

2 hours ago, Isatsuki San said:

I'm starting to get scared, a cme has arrived..., don't tell me it's m 4?Electron Proton y Alpha Monitor (EPAM)

The initial rise in protons and electrons clearly coincide with the limb eruption from 3376, so that seems like that M4 indeed; it was probably stronger than M4 too, we'll probably get data from SolO indicating the real strength of the flare as seen from the far side.

But then the filament eruption happened at around 21:00-22:00, which is likely why you see the higher-energy protons rise again from that point on, and a weak but noticeable rise in the higher-energy electrons too (and the lower-energy ones following after).

Looking at LASCO now, there seems to be a faint but full halo from the filament eruption, so some kind of hit would be reasonable to expect, although it's hard to estimate how fast it is and just how well it might hit.

Edited by Philalethes
correction and clarification

It’s looking like the slow filament CME may be even slower than thought. Not even a gradual rise in protons yet at neither STEREO nor L-1. I’d expect impact may be delayed up to 24 hours later to late on Aug 1- early Aug 2. 

There was also a sneaky, quiet dimming event just east of the center disk on July 29, which may have lifted off yet another slow solar storm, this one under the radar of NOAA/NASA. It may extend enhancements into Aug 3. 

1 hour ago, Landon Moeller said:

A brand new asymmetrical partial halo CME is seen leaving the sun mainly to the south and east very early on Aug 1 UTC day. Likely due in part to the long DSF in the center disk late Jul 31 UTC day. Let’s see if models pick this one up 

I definitely see the faint halo, and also the filament that seems to release around 07-31T19:00Z. Sounds plausible to me that they're connected, good catch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...