Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

Looking at the Sun today, we see a big Filament in the South. What do you guys think about it?

I know very little about Filaments.

Why and how do they destabilize?

It looks well earth directed to me.

Edited by Sam Warfel
This thread is now retired
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Very nice looking filament but it looks stable for now. 😀

Does it? It looks a little bit different from yesterday looking at SDO. (I'll try to attach 2 screenshots)

Also saw on Youtube (take it with a grain of salt) that it apparently started to destabilize.

Hence my Questions about them :D With all those Sunspot Regions i kinda forgot about them completely.

Sadly cant attach pictures from yesterday but it looks more "diffuse" now. Like a thread thinning.

Screenshot_20220406-145202_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I watched SDO 193 now (only watched 304 first) and it does seem a little less stable than I first thought. Should indeed keep an eye on it.

Is it dangerous? I think i watched too much Youtube again 🥺

3 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

You need to block your access to YouTube 🙃😉

But then I miss all the funny gaming Videos.. 🥸 

I know what youre trying to say. They just talked about "massive CME" blah blah yada yada.. The last week has already flared up (pun intended) my anxiety and now i'm working on calming it down

31 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Ah YouTube, as my friend calls it, FearTube

I will start calling it that from now on! Thats hilarious.

Yeah it's a plague really.. I found out im most scared about things I dont really understand yet, learning helps alot. Sometimes I believe they dont even mean to scare people, i just interpret ordinary stuff as threatening due to conditioning by feartube. Im still watching the Filament but i'm not sure what to watch out for.

Do they always eject? Do they stabilize again? So many questions 😅 i dont even know WHAT exactly they are.

Just now, Marcel de Bont said:

Ah i shouldve looked for this myself. 🤯 thats actually a really good description! I didnt knew they can last weeks 😳 Are they common occurences? I only knew about prominences because thats where the filaments seem to be the most visible for me. 😅

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Is it dangerous? I think i watched too much Youtube again 🥺

Minyoongi, might be worth you checking back over the answers you have received from Marcel & the crew for each time you have worried if something is dangerous or anything to be concerned about...  pattern emerging.... it's ok - it's all ok ... step away from youtube ....it's a confirmation bias anxiety bucket if you are a worrier xxx

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

The last week has already flared up (pun intended) my anxiety and now i'm working on calming it down

7 minutes ago, Cat Perkinton said:

Minyoongi, might be worth you checking back over the answers you have received from Marcel & the crew for each time you have worried if something is dangerous or anything to be concerned about...  pattern emerging.... it's ok - it's all ok ... step away from youtube ....it's a confirmation bias anxiety bucket if you are a worrier xxx

@MinYoongi I wanted to say that I've been there myself too. I found the way out of this anxiety trap wasn't to ignore it, rather the opposite, it was to accept the anxiety and then look more closely.

Obviously the first thing to look for is whether or not the channel or person presenting the information is a trustworthy source. Are there holes in their reasoning or unexplained jumps in logic? Are they backing up important statements? Does what they're saying match up with known, trustworthy sources like NASA, NOAA, etc., or just with what everyone else is saying in general? Are they saying things in unnescessarily complicated language without attempt to explain? Do they seem to keep making dramatic predictions which then fail to actually have any noticable impact (often they'll move onto the next prediction before anyone realises that the previous one didn't pan out)? Is there weirdly dramatic music in the video (That's an instant tell)? Also.... how certain are they claiming to be? That last one's important, because we as a race still have an aweful lot of learning to do about this stuff, so anyone claiming to have all the answers is almost certainly full of s###.

The second thing I found helpful to look at is what these doomsday-sayers are actually predicting - essentially it's just bascially power-cuts, the internet goes down and a lot of electronics gets broken. That doesn't really sound like an apocalypse to me. That's like the worst case scenario if the youtube hype-feeders just happen to actually be right (I doubt they are, I'd put a lot of money on that). Even a Carrington event wouldn't actually do that in any irreparable way. We probably would be looking at power-cuts while engineers fixed any burnt out transformers or blown supercapacitors. Maybe some electronic equiment would take damage if not properly fused, or just possibly even damaged despite proper fusing, possibly some data irrecoverably lost if not backed up. Quite probably some satellites would be damged. Astronaughts in space might take a nasty dose of radiation.

OK, none of these are things are good things to happen, but does this really sound like something likely to end society as we know it or even change it hugely? Sure, it would be a real pity if the James Webb telescope got knocked out after all the effort taken to get it up there, but we'd get over it.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

@HalfFeralHuman

I had to really take a Moment to appreciate your message.

I really want to thank you - it helps me alot. Unlike you, I'm really bad with words. But have my thank, this greatly helps me push back my anxiety further.

in regards to the first part, theyre not all doomsday youtubers. I mostly distanced myself from them.

it just triggers my anxiety massively to hear about the big filament, its possible eruption etc. the sentence "Massive CME" just triggered something in me.

When you first posted about this some days ago, it started scaring me. and ever since i've tried to get rid of my anxiety but it's so hard..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

I had to really take a Moment to appreciate your message.

I really want to thank you - it helps me alot. Unlike you, I'm really bad with words. But have my thank, this greatly helps me push back my anxiety further.

in regards to the first part, theyre not all doomsday youtubers. I mostly distanced myself from them.

it just triggers my anxiety massively to hear about the big filament, its possible eruption etc. the sentence "Massive CME" just triggered something in me.

When you first posted about this some days ago, it started scaring me. and ever since i've tried to get rid of my anxiety but it's so hard..

You're welcome.

Hey, for 'massive CME', perhaps substitute 'the sun farted loudly'. Well... what do you do? Well I guess I'd probably feel a little irritated, turn over and go back to sleep hoping the smell's gone by morning!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

c841bfd73e8cfde3358d51c8876bff6c.pngI think the south filament erupted but im not sure? looking at H-Alpha

https://gyazo.com/33557340275425d3c24359d219772794 

Heres a video i made

update: Lasco shows a cme

Looking at AIA 304, I don’t see the south filament erupting, nor any other one. 
I think the western CME may have been farside, I see no apparent source on the earth side, flare or filament. 

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Looking at AIA 304, I don’t see the south filament erupting, nor any other one. 
I think the western CME may have been farside, I see no apparent source on the earth side, flare or filament. 

Look at the Video i posted it clearly erupts? And the time fits the CME Too?

Just now, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Might have been AR2975 

Look at the video and timestamps.