Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

Hello,

I would like to know whether a  filament eruption can provoke the same geomagmetic effets as a big CME induced by a X10 or higher flare ?

Do filaments need a nearby flare to erupt or simply from intrinsic instability?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Manu said:

Hello,

I would like to know whether a  filament eruption can provoke the same geomagmetic effets as a big CME induced by a X10 or higher flare ?

Very rarely a filament eruption can produce a strong CME, but it’s rarer than for a very strong flare to do so. And we don’t know of any filament eruptions that can produce a CME as strong as, say, a Carrington CME. So, basically, sometimes but rarely, and not the suuuper strong end. 

27 minutes ago, Manu said:

Do filaments need a nearby flare to erupt or simply from intrinsic instability?

They usually explode from intrinsic instability. Sometimes they are trapped by the sun’s gravity and fall back into it without producing a CME, but sometimes they do escape and form a CME. A nearby flare helps launch them, but they often (maybe usually) explode or collapse by themselves. 

• Thanks 1

4 uren geleden, Manu zei:

No, filaments just don't have the escape speed comparable to events caused by very powerful solar flares. I do not think I have ever seen Kp8 or higher caused by a filament.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

No, filaments just don't have the escape speed comparable to events caused by very powerful solar flares. I do not think I have ever seen Kp8 or higher caused by a filament.

I feel like I remember someone telling me about one G4(KP8) caused by a filament, but I might have dreamed it... or maybe it was the only one in history.  I do think it was a really long time ago, pre-2000 maybe.
But in the vast majority, I feel like G1 is normal for filaments, G2 is a good one, and G3 is the realistic maximum.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Orneno said:

I feel like I remember someone telling me about one G4(KP8) caused by a filament, but I might have dreamed it... or maybe it was the only one in history.  I do think it was a really long time ago, pre-2000 maybe.
But in the vast majority, I feel like G1 is normal for filaments, G2 is a good one, and G3 is the realistic maximum.

The big one in the mid on the south is going off now, what´s about this?

BR

Thanks guys for the very informative answers !

@Jen Seits what do you mean by 'going off'? Edit : I mean how do we see that?

Apparently this one on August 31st, 2012 triggered a G2 storm (from location S06E20). It was not exactly centered but still launched a halo CME

Edited by Manu
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Manu said:

Thanks guys for the very informative answers !

@Jen Seits what do you mean by 'going off'? Edit : I mean how do we see that?

Apparently this one on August 31st, 2012 triggered a G2 storm (from location S06E20). It was not exactly centered but still launched a halo CME

It's still a work in progress. But it will be great.

BR

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

latest_4096_0193.jpg

The filament in the SE portion of the disk has been dancing a lot more over the last few hours. Looks like it may erupt soon and result in a CME. Hopefully not too south for earth but it probably will be 

Looks like something is indeed happening to it right now.

A filament in the Sun’s southern hemisphere just rapidly lifted off the sun in the last hour, and despite it being so far south, it may very well have an Earth-directed component! Awaiting coronagraph! 

Just now, mozy said:

Another one just lifted, perhaps CME headed our way

Looks real promising on SUVI

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

A filament in the Sun’s southern hemisphere just rapidly lifted off the sun in the last hour, and despite it being so far south, it may very well have an Earth-directed component! Awaiting coronagraph! 

Looks real promising on SUVI

I agree.  This filament looks to me like it was flung to the north, making it more Earth-directed.  CMEs don't always launch in precisely a radial direction normal to the Sun's surface.

• Like 2

Just now, Drax Spacex said:

I agree.  This filament looks to me like it was flung to the north, making it more Earth-directed.  CMEs don't always launch in precisely a radial direction normal to the Sun's surface.

Absolutely. As we have seen with 3110, a lot of its CMEs have been directed north off of the surface. Back to the filament, this one looks a lot more likely to be earth directed than the filament eruption late on Oct 2.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Landon Moeller said:

Absolutely. As we have seen with 3110, a lot of its CMEs have been directed north off of the surface. Back to the filament, this one looks a lot more likely to be earth directed than the filament eruption late on Oct 2.

Nice, do you have imagery for me? :D on mobile and cant look at sdo movies sadly cuz their page isnt optimated for mobiles. Was it a narrow eruption / Glancing blow or full hit?

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Nice, do you have imagery for me? :D on mobile and cant look at sdo movies sadly cuz their page isnt optimated for mobiles. Was it a narrow eruption / Glancing blow or full hit?

It was a horizontal filament which seemed to lift off with a northward component, but STEREO imagery is not very promising. Doesn’t even look like a glancing blow 20221004_153854_d7c2A.jpg

• Sad 2