Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

Here ya go,

Very nice visualization; looks like that's the eruption they were talking about, but do you think it's also the source of the halo on LASCO? Looks like I'm spotting the one you just posted a bit later, after the halo was already visible, but it could definitely all still be part of the same farside event.

6 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Very nice visualization; looks like that's the eruption they were talking about, but do you think it's also the source of the halo on LASCO? Looks like I'm spotting the one you just posted a bit later, after the halo was already visible, but it could definitely all still be part of the same farside event.

The leading shock in the coronagraph imagery is more on the western side, so the source is somewhere over there. There seemed to be a decent shock across the southern hemisphere, so I wouldn't be surprised if a sunspot region may have been in play too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The leading shock in the coronagraph imagery is more on the western side, so the source is somewhere over there.

Yeah, I noticed it was headed a bit more that way, I just figured there's always a possibility of eruptions not being launched directly outwards. But it seems sensible for it all to be part of that farside event, especially considering how there doesn't seem to be that much activity around the filament I highlighted. Always worth checking more thoroughly when there's a decent halo.

Reviewing the corrections that were made to me, Definitively, an eruption is observed in the southern hemisphere, but I analyzed the event in the JHelioviwer telescope, the GONG 6562 observatory, and a very explosive region is observed, generating cme , Analyze the area of the white box with the Gong.  https://gong2.nso.edu/products/scaleView/view.php?configFile=configs/hAlphaColor.cfg&productIndex=0

AR 3288.jpg

Edited by Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco

• 2 weeks later...

Current filament release seems to be in progress across the northern earth facing disk. visible in the SUVI.   Doesn’t appear associated with the flaring on the limb.  Thought I’d bring it to your attention.

Edited by NEAurora
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, NEAurora said:

Current filament release seems to be in progress across the northern earth facing disk. visible in the SUVI.   Doesn’t appear associated with the flaring on the limb.  Thought I’d bring it to your attention.

Looks like a sizeable eruption, but seems like most of it fell back down; maybe we'll see something on LASCO.

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Looks like a sizeable eruption, but seems like most of it fell back down; maybe we'll see something on LASCO.

Yeah, it’s still kind of going too, but it doesn’t look too, too eruptive.  A slow motion release or collection of releases.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

This looks pretty interesting; seems like they might be connected:

imageedit-2-8738214822.gif

Field lines stretching high up above the corona in both places, wouldn't surprise me if they share the same flux:

fieldlines.png

This one seems to be more of a coincidence with the west-southwest fairly active sunspot region.

Sunspot regions can shoot out a ton of stuff at random and filaments can be in a stage where it is rising prior to launch.

Certainly events can trigger other events. The problem is how far one event is from another and time it would take for one event to trigger another given the distance of the magnetic field loops.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

This one seems to be more of a coincidence with the west-southwest fairly active sunspot region.

Sunspot regions can shoot out a ton of stuff at random and filaments can be in a stage where it is rising prior to launch.

Certainly events can trigger other events. The problem is how far one event is from another and time it would take for one event to trigger another given the distance of the magnetic field loops.

Oh yeah, can definitely be a coincidence, and it probably is too; it's just interesting in this case how there are field lines extending so far out in both locations, like those connecting the poles during minima (and here on Earth). Especially around the northeastern part where it looks somewhat like a temporary pole in the field's steady progress towards flipping, judging by the cluster of long field lines there.

The distance poses a problem for sure, as I'm still assuming that helioseismic waves cannot travel anywhere close to that fast at all (and wouldn't exactly be a good candidate in this case either due to the locations). Could be some impulse of induced current perhaps, as we know there's electrically conductive plasma all around; even extending several Solar radii out an electrical signal could travel between the two in just 1 minute or less by my brief estimate, if we assume propagation at c. It's certainly speculative, but doesn't strike me as too far-fetched, given that there is at least some literature on how electric currents can be induced in coronal loops as eruptions occur.

But again: absolutely agree that coincidence is also certainly more than plausible, and should indeed be considered the primary suspect. If nothing else it's some mildly interesting filamentary activity.

Edited by Philalethes

2 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Oh yeah, can definitely be a coincidence, and it probably is too; it's just interesting in this case how there are field lines extending so far out in both locations, like those connecting the poles during minima (and here on Earth). Especially around the northeastern part where it looks somewhat like a temporary pole in the field's steady progress towards flipping, judging by the cluster of long field lines there.

The distance poses a problem for sure, as I'm still assuming that helioseismic waves cannot travel anywhere close to that fast at all (and wouldn't exactly be a good candidate in this case either due to the locations). Could be some impulse of induced current perhaps, as we know there's electrically conductive plasma all around; even extending several Solar radii out an electrical signal could travel between the two in just 1 minute or less by my brief estimate, if we assume propagation at c. It's certainly speculative, but doesn't strike me as too far-fetched, given that there is at least some literature on how electric currents can be induced in coronal loops as eruptions occur.

But again: absolutely agree that coincidence is also certainly more than plausible, and should indeed be considered the primary suspect. If nothing else it's some mildly interesting filamentary activity.

There also seems to be a reaction at the same time from the very small spot located at the bottom right hand corner of the box you drew in the northern hemisphere, and you can see loops from that region in your second post. Given the proximity I guess that is more likely a coupling with the high latitude northern spot.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

There also seems to be a reaction at the same time from the very small spot located at the bottom right hand corner of the box you drew in the northern hemisphere, and you can see loops from that region in your second post. Given the proximity I guess that is more likely a coupling with the high latitude northern spot.

Yeah, I do see the movement there, and that's definitely a possibility too. It doesn't match up that well given the general field as seen from the field lines though, but that's of course nothing conclusive; the proximity alone makes that more probable by itself anyway I would guess. It could also simply be interacting with something right beyond the limb we're not seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a look at the imagery of that filament eruption I noticed GOES' SUVI 304 imagery is off from SOHO's C2 imagery by only 7-8 second, then another filament almost mirrored it shortly after. Nicely in sync

We do happen to have a filament almost facing us as well slightly to our east. Something to watch if it starts rising.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Checking the STEREO imagery for signs of the recent CME I noticed a rather aesthetic eruption:

stereocme.gif

It's also visible on LASCO. Looking at the 304 Å SDO imagery I think it might be related to the filament that releases from thereabouts around 06:00-07:00:

304.gif

Also seems to be a fair amount of filamentary activity in general currently, although it's not that easy to see in the above compressed low-quality gif (original can be found here, as I'm certain a lot of people already know).

Edited by Philalethes
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

• 4 weeks later...