Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

11 hours ago, cheebee said:

is that northeast filament about to go?

Other than a far-side filament snap just beyond the Eastern limb a little while ago, I'm not seeing anything that looks very noteworthy. Are you maybe referring to the filament on the Western side near the limb? (East and West are reversed when looking at the sun) If so, that filament that's almost to the limb does look a little juicy.

https://earthsky.org/sun/east-and-west-on-the-sun-reversed/

Edited by cgrant26
Added link

if you mean this one, i was about to say its gone all wobbly ( ive been getting excited about it all day i know im a bit mad )

then yes mate, it just went off WHOO HOOOO!!

ooooh i get all excited

little whoosh.jpg

so thats the western limb?

i was hoping those spots either side might dislodge it, i thank God and im so excited, i cant help it

i might be a little premature but yeh, its looking good

17 hours ago, cgrant26 said:

Finally, something full halo. Super slow and pretty unimpressive looking in C2 and C3 so far though.

15 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

So far I'd estimate a travel time of 2.5-3.5 days for the CME. A mildly bright full halo, but we will need the solar wind velocities to be low to see the arrival.

Someone claiming this could be KP4-8. I dont see how this could be Kp8 when its so slow? heres a screenshot from the CME scoreboard 5f5115c13adf76ac8fc2e33c9ccaad70.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tniickck said:

hoping for kp8 (even if it is nearly impossible) , ofc, it is quite dark at night in Moscow now

KP8 would have to have some huge ass flare and a 100% earth-directed CME that is huge. (I'm not sure if this is 100% right. i haven't been studying this stuff in months) Who knows, it may happen 👀

9 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

KP8 would have to have some huge ass flare and a 100% earth-directed CME that is huge. (I'm not sure if this is 100% right. i haven't been studying this stuff in months) Who knows, it may happen 👀

You would think this would be true, however there have been KP8s in the past that have been driven by events on the sun that are not even flares and are hardly even noticeable. We had one this year! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

We have had two KP8 events this year, One on March 24th 2023 and another one on April 23 2023.

Yep. That one in March was pretty wild. I've sen the wispy, slow moving aurora curtains many times before but that was the first time seeing what looked like rippling shock waves reverberating through them.

Edited by cgrant26
  • Like 1