Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

29 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

You are on the ball! I would actually say it is a flare based on the explosiveness of the event but you are spot on, a nice full halo CME from this C1 eruption! Posted about it on our socials.

By the way, i agree with the flare thing. I did not see the C1.4 Flare before because it came from a spotless region! The Eruption just included lots of Filament material.

42 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Always so hard to say but it isn't so fast. I'd say Kp5 with a bit of luck.

It's interacting with an expected HSS! I remember that sometimes that weakened the CME structure/Impact but maybe this time it will enhance it? I dont really know. :) Im waiting for Noaas forecast

I also forgot one question, oops. 

Some here said its not that fast/dense looking but noaa enlil shows density at 100? @Marcel de Bont is that to be trusted?

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

By the way, i agree with the flare thing. I did not see the C1.4 Flare before because it came from a spotless region! The Eruption just included lots of Filament material.

It's interacting with an expected HSS! I remember that sometimes that weakened the CME structure/Impact but maybe this time it will enhance it? I dont really know. :) Im waiting for Noaas forecast

I also forgot one question, oops. 

Some here said its not that fast/dense looking but noaa enlil shows density at 100? @Marcel de Bont is that to be trusted?

What is BepiColombo?

I still wonder about the Noaa WSA-Enlil 100 Density spike. I dont know how precise and/or reliable the model is with that though.

A G2 watch was issued :) This is way better than the expected Kp5!

G2 Geomagnetic Storm Watch for 14 Apr

Edited by MinYoongi

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Orneno said:

Looking at AIA 304, the filament was big and could have launched a decent CME, I’m eager to see the coronagraph!

Check out this gorgeous capture of the filament in the process of exploding:

BC3A5613-BF2D-470E-A7E4-CB8C958B764A.jpeg

Early indications of this CME do show that the CME is along the Earth-Sun line and traveling about 350 km/s or so, which would likely put impact around late July 19th or even July 20th timeframe. The CME may become wider with time as some plasma seems to be deflected due west.

source : https://twitter.com/spacewxwatch

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Early indications of this CME do show that the CME is along the Earth-Sun line and traveling about 350 km/s or so, which would likely put impact around late July 19th or even July 20th timeframe. The CME may become wider with time as some plasma seems to be deflected due west.

source : https://twitter.com/spacewxwatch

Awww that’s sad, 350 km/s is literally nothing 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Likely a Filament eruption

I know, but its not a prominence because its not fully on the limb. so thats why i said maybe we get a cme from it :D ! 

update: it seems to snap south! But it still looks awesome. Eyecandy.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:50 PM, Cat Perkinton said:

Marcel

That literally got me for a sec, before i realized im not the only one with this name here

3 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

That literally got me for a sec, before i realized im not the only one with this name here

Oh, well i dont know what i just did but that should not happen... 

Ahh i was inactive for tooo long in here 😶

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2022 at 6:51 PM, Philalethes Bythos said:

Was it this Solar tornado from earlier?

Solar-tornado.png

This was clearly visible in H-alpha last Sunday (28th). I was giving my new filter first light, finally. I was wondering about that feature.  Last Sunday, it extended farther out from the sun and had more of a cone shape.  It also had a “companion” at about 8 o’clock. It was still visible on GONG H-alpha yesterday, but it’s not there today. 

It was definitely very cool looking! And it lasted at least several days. 

WnA

😉

On 8/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, Solar_Marcel said:

Oh, well i dont know what i just did but that should not happen... 

Ahh i was inactive for tooo long in here 😶

Totally confused over here - I dont even remember typing your name or what the context was.....