IlikeAuroras

5 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

If you wanna know who is currently contributing the most try to look at goes 16 suvi (noaa swpc website) 94angstroms.

Very helpful, thank you. Looks to me now like the main contribution is from 3116 having a sort of mini-flare (and I guess the effects of 3110 are rapidly waning as it rounds the limb). 

17 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Yes, I'm primarily thinking of the intensitygrams. Seems like the streaks now dividing the previously intact umbrae are quite bright, ranging from the same intensity as the lightest of the surrounding penumbrae to almost matching the surface elsewhere. Again, I might be wrong, perhaps they should be even brighter.

If this circled area began as a single umbra I would say that a light bridge has now formed, causing the umbra to separate. I can't recall how the spots first appeared. 

N.

Memo_20221006_153557_01-1.jpg

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Newbie said:

I considered this spot belonging to AR13115 ...... apologies it is unrelated to AR 13112. I believe this may be an example of a light bridge.  From memory this had a single umbra yesterday. 

PB did you happen to notice this spot?

I agree that it looks like it, but I couldn't say whether it had a single umbra or not; I did not notice it at all, my eyes have mostly been on 3112 lately, and a bit on 3110.

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

If this circled area began as a single umbra I would say that a light bridge has now formed, causing the umbra to separate. I can't recall how the spots first appeared. 

N.

Memo_20221006_153557_01-1.jpg

Yes, I'm pretty sure that it did and that it's a light bridge. I believe the same is the case for the small spot to the top left of the big one. As for the big one itself, I suppose that's more unclear, it could be that it's just penumbra dividing two smaller spots. There is however a thin wisp of light inside it now that might be the beginnings of one.

I've now set up an automated script to download the magnetograms and save parts of them if they're new (whatever part I think is going to be interesting over the next few days). I only yesterday realized JSOC stores the historical HMI data, but their videos seem to use only the 1024x1024 ones, which makes for very poor resolution when it comes to looking for changes like that in individual spots. The plan is to make a similar timelapse video for the aforementioned area I find most interesting at any given time, but with the highest resolution (4096x4096). Perhaps this is available elsewhere, (and I could always just download the 4096x4096 from JSOC as well, maybe I'll do so later), but I don't know where if that's the case.

That probably won't be very telling for the light bridges, but eventually I'll probably make a similar one for the intensitygram as well.

23 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

A light bridge heralds decay?

That's what the literature seems to indicate; and it seems like spots tend to start weakening when they show up from what I've seen personally too. There's probably more to it, though.

24 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Im just asking myself where..? I see MAYBE one.

Agreed, the big one from before is the only clear example I can see too. Perhaps they're operating with a much broader definition, and just looking at how the spots are situated within the larger polarities without any requirement of penumbra at all; I really can't tell.

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

The leading spot section is still magnetically complex with multiple magnetic deltas."

Im just asking myself where..? I see MAYBE one. 

I think that might be redundant now Min. Last time I looked.

1 hour ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

I agree that it looks like it, but I couldn't say whether it had a single umbra or not; I did not notice it at all, my eyes have mostly been on 3112 lately, and a bit on 3110.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that it did and that it's a light bridge. I believe the same is the case for the small spot to the top left of the big one. As for the big one itself, I suppose that's more unclear, it could be that it's just penumbra dividing two smaller spots. There is however a thin wisp of light inside it now that might be the beginnings of one.

I've now set up an automated script to download the magnetograms and save parts of them if they're new (whatever part I think is going to be interesting over the next few days). I only yesterday realized JSOC stores the historical HMI data, but their videos seem to use only the 1024x1024 ones, which makes for very poor resolution when it comes to looking for changes like that in individual spots. The plan is to make a similar timelapse video for the aforementioned area I find most interesting at any given time, but with the highest resolution (4096x4096). Perhaps this is available elsewhere, (and I could always just download the 4096x4096 from JSOC as well, maybe I'll do so later), but I don't know where if that's the case.

That probably won't be very telling for the light bridges, but eventually I'll probably make a similar one for the intensitygram as well.

During solar minimum there are few sunspots therefore it is easy to focus on changes in umbrae where light bridges form. Keeping a record is a good idea. Truth is once the light bridge has formed the spot is in decay. 

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Newbie said:

Truth is once the light bridge has formed the spot is in decay.

Verily a harbinger of disappointment.

On a different note, if anyone is interested in the transition gifs I've posted previously, I've automated the publication of one such gif at any given time based on the latest imagery to a Google Drive file. It's set to crop out an area that I specify in advance, so it'll be watching whatever I find most interesting at any point in time. It's currently set to look at 3112. Later I might look at the SHARP data from the JSOC DRMS to make them for all the automatically detected regions.

Here's the link to view it.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Landon Moeller said:

Don't believe so. Since the region is so longitudinally elongated, the middle region containing the delta would likely stay its own confined region

Yes and wouldnt that be a beta then? 

Maybe im dumb but can someone tell me where the delta/s are? Solen says multiple, @Newbie said thats redundant (old news i guess?) and i dont see a delta anymore cuz im lost as frick.

29 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yes and wouldnt that be a beta then? 

Maybe im dumb but can someone tell me where the delta/s are? Solen says multiple, @Newbie said thats redundant (old news i guess?) and i dont see a delta anymore cuz im lost as frick.

Capture.thumb.JPG.435da66ee066d986b5b73fe1b413f854.JPG

Don't see any reason why it would be beta. IMO three regions would potentially divided up like this, and the middle one would still contain the delta (assuming there is still one there)

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

can someone tell me where the delta/s are?

043E2A9D-F536-4747-B41B-D82F9D4A2526.jpeg.e5db3493534b4a4f40145da01646d6b4.jpeg

I would also add the Magnetogram but the file size is limiting me.

Edited by Calder
Original image seemed like it might’ve had issues?

37 minutes ago, Calder said:

043E2A9D-F536-4747-B41B-D82F9D4A2526.jpeg.e5db3493534b4a4f40145da01646d6b4.jpeg

I would also add the Magnetogram but the file size is limiting me.

Agree with this assessment, although the leftmost and the bottom ones are pretty weak; and on top of that it seems the penumbrae between the big middle spots is breaking apart too. I don't really have that much hope for this region anymore, but you never know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

the penumbrae between the big middle spots is breaking apart too. I don't really have that much hope for this region anymore, but you never know.

but arent the black spots gorwing more? If you compare pictures from 3h ago to now youll see it. 

@Philalethes Bythos @Calder @Landon Moeller

If that big region in the middle is its own AR the tiny spot would be the delta and not the big one i guess..? thats what i mean.

the big "delta" does seem to drift apart more and more and only the penumbras are lightly touching.

I'm sorry if i sound very unsure, its just i'm having a really hard time understanding this AR. I dont know if its 2-3 AR's, if so, i dont see any significant deltas? But im seeing that the dark cores are getting slightly bigger/darker again. does this mean growth?

1 hour ago, Landon Moeller said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.435da66ee066d986b5b73fe1b413f854.JPG

I believe it's where the arrow is

so you think (like me) this is the only delta? I dont assign the big region delta.

25 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

but arent the black spots gorwing more? If you compare pictures from 3h ago to now youll see it. 

It does seem like they're growing a little, but not that much.

28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

If that big region in the middle is its own AR the tiny spot would be the delta and not the big one i guess..? thats what i mean.

The big positive spot and the negative spot to the bottom left of it still constitute one delta, as far as I can see; the penumbrae do indeed seem to be touching relatively lightly, but they're still visibly forming a single penumbra. Additionally the positive spot underneath seems to be forming a delta with a tiny negative spot as well, but that's on the smaller side. Both of these would belong to that active region whether you split it off from the other regions or not. These are the two that were highlighted in the assessment I agreed with above (the third being another tiny one in the area to the left, which it has been argued should be classified as its own active region).