IlikeAuroras

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

Hello SFT, LDE - long duration event usually over 30 minutes or more as opposed to impulsive - over in a few minutes. LDE's usually produce a CME..... but not always. 

N.

Hey @Vancanneyt Sander, could we get that added to the acronym database? SFT and I would have found that useful, so others might in the future!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

LDE Added to the forum acronym list

Thank you!

Were the M2, M3.9, and M1 in the last 24 hours all from this region?

It appears they were, at least the M2.4 and M3.9. The M2 was nice and long-duration. I see we got at least two Type II radio bursts confirming that some of these were eruptive. Looking at LASCO however, I don’t see any CME at all… it’s a bit weird 

29 minutes ago, Orneno said:

It appears they were, at least the M2.4 and M3.9. The M2 was nice and long-duration. I see we got at least two Type II radio bursts confirming that some of these were eruptive. Looking at LASCO however, I don’t see any CME at all… it’s a bit weird 

They are from this region from a little complex part on the east side of the region.

The M3.9 was pretty eruptive, but the CME it produced looks slow. 

3 hours ago, Orneno said:

Thank you!

A type2 radio burst does not always confirm eruptiveness sadly

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

A type2 radio burst does not always confirm eruptiveness sadly

I believe it does technically, it’s just the CME can be super weak, almost invisible and inconsequential. Decent CMEs often tend to get a Type IV as well as a Type II. 

After all (as far as I understand it), a radio emission is caused by the leading edge of a CME, so if there’s an emission it has to be a CME. It just might be tiny. 
It might even be so weak it fell back into the sun and didn’t escape, but I have no idea if it actually works like that or not that’s just a wild guess.  After all, if it it wouldn’t technically be a CME in the first place. 

9 hours ago, Orneno said:

I believe it does technically, it’s just the CME can be super weak, almost invisible and inconsequential. Decent CMEs often tend to get a Type IV as well as a Type II. 

After all (as far as I understand it), a radio emission is caused by the leading edge of a CME, so if there’s an emission it has to be a CME. It just might be tiny. 
It might even be so weak it fell back into the sun and didn’t escape, but I have no idea if it actually works like that or not that’s just a wild guess.  After all, if it it wouldn’t technically be a CME in the first place. 

Hello Orneno I made a topic in insightful reading and posted some information which may help to explain the question above, wrt to solar radio emissions and CME's.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 2