IlikeAuroras

18 minutes ago, Orneno said:

M3!

Seems out to have topped out at almost M6; not bad. I am officially hoping for some fireworks now.

Looking at it now, and it seems the M5.8 was from 3110, though. At least according to SolarSoft, and by the looks of it on SUVI. It also looks like there was a CME associated with it.

5 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Seems out to have topped out at almost M6; not bad. I am officially hoping for some fireworks now.

Looking at it now, and it seems the M5.8 was from 3110, though. At least according to SolarSoft, and by the looks of it on SUVI. It also looks like there was a CME associated with it.

Sure came out of left field.  Didn’t think 3110 was capable of that…

58 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

sunkansascityshuffle.png

This is awesome.

" has magnetically a very complex layout with multiple magnetic delta structures. Although the region was significantly less active on October 1 than on the previous day, a major flare is possible. "

I see only 1 delta i think.. am i lost? lol

also, i have a theory on why it may be quieter today. 

i tried to create a gif like @Philalethes Bythos does, but i cant do the fade. Fml. 

what confuses me most is, there are sunspots on the intensigram that are not really the same in the magnetogram.. or not at the same place exactly?

55 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

what confuses me most is, there are sunspots on the intensigram that are not really the same in the magnetogram.. or not at the same place exactly?

Probably because it's still a bit too far away.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mozy said:

Probably because it's still a bit too far away.

But i mean, there are sunspots that dont have a counterpart visible in the Intensigram at all. Like, i can see one Blue area and on the intensigram are 2 spots. Okay, that happens, but on the magnetogram there is nothing/lightest blue-ish where a fully grown sunspot should be?

Also, is it now more than 1 delta? i can only really find one. Its always hard to tell what is Gamma and Delta for me, maybe you can show me? :) ty! also : is there lower shear today, resulting in less flaring? (thats my theory :D )

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But i mean, there are sunspots that dont have a counterpart visible in the Intensigram at all. Like, i can see one Blue area and on the intensigram are 2 spots. Okay, that happens, but on the magnetogram there is nothing/lightest blue-ish where a fully grown sunspot should be?

Also, is it now more than 1 delta? i can only really find one. Its always hard to tell what is Gamma and Delta for me, maybe you can show me? :) ty! also : is there lower shear today, resulting in less flaring? (thats my theory :D )

Yeah I know what you mean, I reacted to it aswell when I saw it, but I figured it's most likely cus the region is still further away to be able to see everything perfectly.

As of now I believe I can spot atleast 2-3 deltas.

Can't show screenshots, I'm outside 😝

18 minutes ago, mozy said:

Yeah I know what you mean, I reacted to it aswell when I saw it, but I figured it's most likely cus the region is still further away to be able to see everything perfectly.

As of now I believe I can spot atleast 2-3 deltas.

Can't show screenshots, I'm outside 😝

I will wait patiently 🤣 have fun!

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

This is awesome.

" has magnetically a very complex layout with multiple magnetic delta structures. Although the region was significantly less active on October 1 than on the previous day, a major flare is possible. "

I see only 1 delta i think.. am i lost? lol

also, i have a theory on why it may be quieter today. 

i tried to create a gif like @Philalethes Bythos does, but i cant do the fade. Fml. 

Here's the latest for reference:

latest.gif

30 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Well, what seems to be happening, which is what I was talking about recently, is that there is a mismatch between both the intensities and the positions within the polarities, particularly closer to the edge; emphasis here on "within", because the polarities themselves will still match up with the umbrae and penumbrae, but the magnetogram will tend to not get the intensities right due to the variation in the direction of the field lines as viewed from the side rather than from right above. Thus you get e.g. umbrae appearing right at the edge of the different polarities rather than corresponding to the darkest part of the colorized magnetogram, and even some smaller intermediate areas between penumbrae and umbrae not being in the right position inside the polarity at all.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Here's the latest for reference:

latest.gif

Well, what seems to be happening, which is what I was talking about recently, is that there is a mismatch between both the intensities and the positions within the polarities, particularly closer to the edge; emphasis here on "within", because the polarities themselves will still match up with the umbrae and penumbrae, but the magnetogram will tend to not get the intensities right due to the variation in the direction of the field lines as viewed from the side rather than from right above. Thus you get e.g. umbrae appearing right at the edge of the different polarities rather than corresponding to the darkest part of the colorized magnetogram, and even some smaller intermediate areas between penumbrae and umbrae not being in the right position inside the polarity at all.

yeah, its really hard for me to look for deltas this way. where would you say are they rn?

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

yeah, its really hard for me to look for deltas this way. where would you say are they rn?

latest.gif

The big cluster in the middle (red box) looks like one big delta to me. Aside from that, the bottom spots (purple box) also looks like a delta. The top ones (green box) is not quite there for my satisfaction, but could become one.

9 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

latest.gif

The big cluster in the middle (red box) looks like one big delta to me. Aside from that, the bottom spots (purple box) also looks like a delta. The top ones (green box) is not quite there for my satisfaction, but could become one.

Tbh those look more like merged penumbras than deltas