Initial analysis and modeling indicated Earth-directed transients from
both events with speeds of 667 km/s and 841 km/s respectively. The
second and faster CME is expected to catch up and combine with the first
transient from the M4 event. The combined arrival of both events at the
magnetosphere protecting Earth is expected early on 31 March. Additional
analysis and tweaking of the forecast is expected to continue throughout
today."

New forecast

WSA-Enlil is now showing both CMEs with two peaks for wind speed at Earth, the first at 2022-03-31 01:00 and the second at 2022-03-31 12:00.

I trust the human-in-the-loop estimates for CME speed using imagery from both Stereo A and LASCO coronagraphs.  Automation that uses LASCO alone can yield a foreshortened view and underestimated CME speeds.  Including also the partial side view from Stereo A provides a more complete 3D picture.

1 hour ago, Drax Spacex said:

WSA-Enlil is now showing both CMEs with two peaks for wind speed at Earth, the first at 2022-03-31 01:00 and the second at 2022-03-31 12:00.

I trust the human-in-the-loop estimates for CME speed using imagery from both Stereo A and LASCO coronagraphs.  Automation that uses LASCO alone can yield a foreshortened view and underestimated CME speeds.  Including also the partial side view from Stereo A provides a more complete 3D picture.

Space Weather Message Code: WATA50
Serial Number: 67
Issue Time: 2022 Mar 29 1710 UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G3 Predicted

Highest Storm Level Predicted by Day:
Mar 30:  G1 (Minor)   Mar 31:  G3 (Strong)   Apr 01:  G2 (Moderate)

Another Update :)

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Hey Guys.

i saw this tweet and wanted to ask if the 2 regions combined into one now? If not, what does "magnetically connected" mean? 

Also, due to low C-class flaring i thought the region (for now) shot its energy? 

I am not completely sure of all the mechanisms involved, but I assume it's that both sunspot groups have made connections with each other. Energy can potentially intermingle between the two and lead to instabilities that could produce more flares.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

The spot is still looking pretty complex, but X-ray flux is quieter in comparison to the insanity we saw yesterday. Hoping it still has more for us before it becomes less geoeffective!

Did it Decay or grew further?  Yeah it was insane yesterday! It just refused to be pissed off :D

when will it become less geoeffective?

15 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Did it Decay or grew further?  Yeah it was insane yesterday! It just refused to be pissed off :D

when will it become less geoeffective?

I haven't noticed any decay yet. It still looks potent. M

And just as we were talking... another M-flare is in progress now!

4 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Finally, official Beta-Gamma-Delta for AR2975! Definitely the best so far this solar cycle. 
That’s a pretty good sunspot lineup in general too. 
image.thumb.png.00bcaa2db398dafc81df933e97e3d521.png

Quite impressive indeed. It's very complex. Some big things could be coming!

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Sadly, it’s beginning to rotate away from directly earth-facing. 

True... however I wonder if its neighbor, AR2976 has some tricks up its sleeve. It seems the two may be interacting. Either way, both will be geoeffective for at least a couple more days.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Jesterface23 said:

I managed to just about match the SWPC WSA-ENLIL model on the first one, see if this can do the same lol.

For this second CME I'll have a preliminary arrival at /31 14:00Z +-6 hours at L1. I think STEREO A will take a direct impact by the first CME, but a side impact by this one.

Your predictions are consistent with SWPC.  They predicted second CME arrival at /31 12:00Z.  Go Desmos!  I think that's the calculator you're using for your predictions.

53 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

Quite impressive indeed. It's very complex. Some big things could be coming!

Shearing (increasing separation between spots of opposite polarity?) and sunspots observed rotating about their umbra could be a prelude to an X-flare - as though the sunspots are shifting and circulating around seeking to find the right positional combination to unlock the flare!

SWPC describes AR2975 (N13W25, Dhc/beta-gamma-delta) as "continuing to exhibit significant reorganization within its intermediate and leader spots, with shearing evident throughout the period."

Edited by Drax Spacex
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

Your predictions are consistent with SWPC.  They predicted second CME arrival at /31 12:00Z.  Go Desmos!  I think that's the calculator you're using for your predictions.

The second CME in the SWPC's WSA-ENLIL run doesn't actually match my prediction. In the model the second peak is behind the dense wall of protons. 

I don't use Desmos for arrival time predictions. That is just me trying to use my best learned theories to get an idea of what a CME or past CMEs possibly look like.

How I made this and prior preliminary arrival times is below,

l = 2022/03/28 20:10Z || Launch
a = 03:35Z  || Northwest side of the CME reaching 31.5Rsun in LASCO C3 imagery
b = 04:25Z  || Southeast side of the CME reaching 31.5Rsun in LASCO C3 imagery
x = 00:50    || 'a' and 'b' 31.5Rsun time difference
m = 04:00Z || Average 31.5Rsun time
7:50             || Enter value 'x' into a specific formula or going off a graph to get a value. In this case making a small adjustment for some possible error I have 8.4 and multiplied that by this 7 hours and 50 minutes. This is from 'm' minus 'l'
~65.8 hours of travel time and preliminary arrival of 2022/03/28 14:00Z

It's not over 'till the CMEs arrive heh. 2 out of 6 (so far) model runs are 2 hours off at least

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

The second CME in the SWPC's WSA-ENLIL run doesn't actually match my prediction. In the model the second peak is behind the dense wall of protons. 

I don't use Desmos for arrival time predictions. That is just me trying to use my best learned theories to get an idea of what a CME or past CMEs possibly look like.

How I made this and prior preliminary arrival times is below,

l = 2022/03/28 20:10Z || Launch
a = 03:35Z  || Northwest side of the CME reaching 31.5Rsun in LASCO C3 imagery
b = 04:25Z  || Southeast side of the CME reaching 31.5Rsun in LASCO C3 imagery
x = 00:50    || 'a' and 'b' 31.5Rsun time difference
m = 04:00Z || Average 31.5Rsun time
7:50             || Enter value 'x' into a specific formula or going off a graph to get a value. In this case making a small adjustment for some possible error I have 8.4 and multiplied that by this 7 hours and 50 minutes. This is from 'm' minus 'l'
~65.8 hours of travel time and preliminary arrival of 2022/03/28 14:00Z

It's not over 'till the CMEs arrive heh. 2 out of 6 (so far) model runs are 2 hours off at least

How are they "off" by 2hours?