AR2975, M9 flare

Sam Warfel

11 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

I was wondering what you thought about sunspot 2975

Same as everyone else here. It’s the most complicated magnetic polarities of any AR we’ve seen this cycle so far, and has sustained the highest background X-ray flux so far, along with 5+ M-class flares. 

It’s pretty big, but more importantly, it’s very complex. And it doesn’t look to be decaying yet. 

• Like 1

I'd say 72,048 seconds from the time CME 2 launched at a distance of 36 million km from the sun.

But I may have made a mistake.  Haven't checked my work yet. Lol.

EDIT:

Looks right. CME1 launches at time 0, velocity 355 km/s. CME2 launches 30,240 seconds later, velocity 504 km/s. At that time CME1 is 10.7 million km from the sun. Velocity difference is 149 km/s.

So CME2 traveling 149 km/s faster takes 72,048 seconds to make up that 10.7 million km difference.

Edited by KW2P
Added text
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Just wondering, where are those velocities available?

I got the data from an earlier comment in this thread asking for a solution. I meant to quote the post in my reply but failed to.

2 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:
Homework Problem

Given:
Cactus calculated CME #1 to have a speed of 355 km/s.
Cactus calculated CME #2 to have a speed of 504 km/s.

#1 2022/03/28 12:00| 01 | 306| 146| 0355| 0065| 0221| 0520| II
#2 2022/03/28 20:24| 02 | 301| 160| 0504| 0043| 0416| 0589| II

Find:  The date and time when CME #2 will catch up with CME #1

Is the first one really that slow?

Btw: why no updated Goes Data? No Xray Flux and all pics Black

1 uur geleden, Orneno zei:

Same as everyone else here. It’s the most complicated magnetic polarities of any AR we’ve seen this cycle so far, and has sustained the highest background X-ray flux so far, along with 5+ M-class flares. 

It’s pretty big, but more importantly, it’s very complex. And it doesn’t look to be decaying yet. 

It is the sunspot we predicted in Coming sunspots!

quote: Hidghly complex sunspot March 20-22

visible on Stereo March 21…

48 minutes ago, KW2P said:

I'd say 72,048 seconds from the time CME 2 launched at a distance of 36 million km from the sun.

But I may have made a mistake.  Haven't checked my work yet. Lol.

EDIT:

Looks right. CME1 launches at time 0, velocity 355 km/s. CME2 launches 30,240 seconds later, velocity 504 km/s. At that time CME1 is 10.7 million km from the sun. Velocity difference is 149 km/s.

So CME2 traveling 149 km/s faster takes 72,048 seconds to make up that 10.7 million km difference.

Yes, KW2P, that's what I calculated also:  72048 seconds=20hrs

2022/03/28 20:24 UTC + 20hr = 2022/03/29 16:24 UTC

x=x0+v*t

CME #1 had a 8hr24min head start.  In that time, it had traveled 355km/s*((8*60+24)*60)s=10735200km.

CME #2 is traveling (504-355)km/s=149km/s faster than CME #1.  The time it would take for CME #2 to travel the make-up distance to catch CME #1 is 10735200km/149km/s=72048s=1201min=20hr

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Yes, KW2P, that's what I calculated also:  72048 seconds=20hrs

2022/03/28 20:24 UTC + 20hr = 2022/03/29 16:24 UTC

x=x0+v*t

CME #1 had a 8hr24min head start.  In that time, it had traveled 355km/s*((8*60+24)*60)s=10735200km.

CME #2 is traveling (504-355)km/s=149km/s faster than CME #1.  The time it would take for CME #2 to travel the make-up distance to catch CME #1 is 10735200km/149km/s=72048s=1201min=20hr

So they will not interact? Or merge?

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

So they will not interact? Or merge?

Only time will tell. The velocities from cactus are estimations and may have a similar result as model runs.

2 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Good question.  The cactus estimates of speed may be based on two dimensional imagery alone without estimating the velocity component along the Sun->Earth vector.

Yeah, I just couldn't find the exact matching numbers, so I wasn't sure of it what you shared came from cactus lol.

Edited by Jesterface23

41 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Btw: why no updated Goes Data? No Xray Flux and all pics Black

It's back now - GOES view of the Sun was temporarily eclipsed by the Earth.

16 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Only time will tell. The velocities from cactus are estimations and may have a similar result as model runs.

Yeah, I just couldn't find the exact matching numbers, so I wasn't sure of it what you shared came from cactus lol.

Ah - I see the discrepancy in the numbers not matching - the cactus values for the median velocity changed between now and when I first pulled the data for the rows with halo type II:

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/latest-cmes.html

Edited by Drax Spacex

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

You already did awesome math 😅!

I still wonder what flicked the switch for this region.

Lol, thanks, but I think I'd lose my engineer stripes if I couldn't solve that one.

The simple answer is the convection patterns underneath 2975 which create and shape the magnetic fields, but you already knew that. Sufficient complexity of the fields results in a lot of "conflict" as the fields wrestle with each other and so instability. I liken the photosphere to watching a pot of boiling water in slow motion or watching the growth of a cumulus cloud. Can you predict exactly what each little parcel of water or air is going to do? No, because the motion is chaotic.  We can assign probabilities but no hard answers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Actually the sunspot region exploded on the 27th. A smaller magnetic region popped up mid-day on the 26th and seemed to set off a chain reaction.

To be fair to Patrick he did also say he expected it to grow more complex in 5 days, so his prediction does seem to be reasonably consistent with the development of AR2975

39 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

To be fair to Patrick he did also say he expected it to grow more complex in 5 days, so his prediction does seem to be reasonably consistent with the development of AR2975

Can we kindly keep the pseudoscience out of this thread.

There is a thread for this already

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

They have been constant asf. 

"

Initial analysis and modeling indicated Earth-directed transients from
both events with speeds of 667 km/s and 841 km/s respectively. The
second and faster CME is expected to catch up and combine with the first
transient from the M4 event. The combined arrival of both events at the
magnetosphere protecting Earth is expected early on 31 March. Additional
analysis and tweaking of the forecast is expected to continue throughout
today."

New forecast

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Can we kindly keep the pseudoscience out of this thread.

There is a thread for this already

You are addressing your comment to the wrong person. I was simply responding to earlier posts by Patrick Geryl  and Jesterface.

If you are willing to open your mind, and use real scientific rigour, instead of branding alternative views as pseudoscience, you might learn something useful.

• Like 1