AR2975, M9 flare

Sam Warfel

2 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I am seriously impressed by the magnetic layout and activity on display here from sunspot region 2975. I'd bet we get an M5+ solar flare within the next 24 hours from this thing.

I definitely agree. This is one of the more impressive sunspot groups so far this cycle. It's active right now with high level C-activity. Keeps threatening to cross back into M!

1 minute ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

X flare???

It's possible! Something this complex will carry that potential.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

X flare???

Yeah, it looks that way. We have not seen anything close to this level of complexity since September 2017. This is nothing close to that yet, but I would be surprised if it didn't produce at least one X-flare. It is still in a growth phase.

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Short question, does someone know why GOES isnt updating rn?

I remember it sometimes having outages

Probably an eclipse (when the moon goes in front of GOES)

Also it appears the 2975 is now a B-G-D

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yup! Was an issue on my end :) !! 

Is the region still growing? Is it likely to die down soon? 

Glad it's working! 

The region is still in a growth phase, so I wouldn't say it's dying down yet. X-ray flux is current mid to upper C-class, so it's probably going to produce more activity soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

Glad it's working! 

The region is still in a growth phase, so I wouldn't say it's dying down yet. X-ray flux is current mid to upper C-class, so it's probably going to produce more activity soon.

Ah! I know its hard to predict sunspot growth, but how do you define a grow phase?

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Ah! I know its hard to predict sunspot growth, but how do you define a grow phase?

If a sunspot group appears to be increasing in size, developing more spots, and is becoming more magnetically complex, I call that a growth phase. Currently, AR2975 has been expanding and developing new spots, and also now has a beta-gamma-delta magnetic field which indicates plenty of complexity.

Will just have to keep watching to see what it does 🙂

And here we go again! Yet another M-class flare has started 👀

Flare.png

Edited by Flareguy18
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Really? Enlil looks like 1

Typically we only see 1 CME modeled by WSA-Enlil, but I now see in the updated Enlil run they have incorporated 2 CMEs.

Yep Double whammy CMEs Stereo A confirms the second CME is Earth-directed with a similar profile as the first CME - though the second CME may be a slightly stronger and faster.  I don't hear the cannibal CME drums just yet, but... 

Edited by Drax Spacex
2 CMEs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Im bad with cme forecasting. Does the 2nd one looks like it will boost impact by alot? Some opinions?

The 2nd CME looks potentially faster/stronger so it could sweep the first one up. The result could be a stronger geomagnetic storm, but it's pretty early on in the forecast/analysis. Awaiting to see what SWPC says...

1 minute ago, Flareguy18 said:

The 2nd CME looks potentially faster/stronger so it could sweep the first one up. The result could be a stronger geomagnetic storm, but it's pretty early on in the forecast/analysis. Awaiting to see what SWPC says...

Does it really? It was a pretty short M1 Flare compared to the somewhat long m4 flare. Wow :)

i think the region calmed down for now

I managed to just about match the SWPC WSA-ENLIL model on the first one, see if this can do the same lol.

For this second CME I'll have a preliminary arrival at /31 14:00Z +-6 hours at L1. I think STEREO A will take a direct impact by the first CME, but a side impact by this one.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Does it really? It was a pretty short M1 Flare compared to the somewhat long m4 flare. Wow :)

i think the region calmed down for now

Flare was weaker, but often when you have multiple CMES in a shorter timeframe, the successive ones become faster because the interplanetary medium is "cleared out" by the earlier CMEs. That's what can make the later ones faster.

The AR region is still crackling with some lower level activity but I still think we will see more M-class activity before long.

• Like 1