are we going to be in for a treat in about a week?

farm24

2 hours ago, Bedreamon said:

On the opposite side, I saw this. Don't know why the word menace is used, since that heavily implies to me it's a spot with giant/powerful flare potential (and possibly high-level geomagnetic storms), but that might be hyperbole. Hopefully.

I have the same question(the use of the word menace) 🤔

34 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Menace…

doesn’t that mean dangerous?

C5 flare from our region. If it was earth facing it may have been an M flare. 

But a C flare Even if it were a M flare isn't danguerous...

And the sunspot doesn't look danguerous does it?

Edited by jeny96

11 minutes ago, Bedreamon said:

There's a reply clarifying what he means by menace, if you wanna see it: 

I'm gonna be honest...i didn't understand him in the last tweet 😅 (maybe could be first languaje is spanish and i'm an amateur in this area)

Edited by jeny96

7 hours ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

Many thanks for your listing, 3gMike

Since todays (19.0) strengths is only "3290" it seems to decay very fast. So I personally do not expect a big show when optimal earth directed in a week or so. All in all the other two backside regions are increasing a little. Just another hope...

Regards, Chris

Do you think its decaying or maybe the limb proximity makes the systems not pick up on it correctly anymore?

C.5 Flare just in from our favorite region. Probably wouldve been M-Class really, due to it being on the limb.

Update: Strength down to 2837. Region is still big, and was just flaring. Somethings not adding up. 

2 Options :

1.) The Region decayed/stabilized a little bit after the big flare/eruption and is now still large in area/faculae

2.) the limb proximity makes the systems not pick up on it correctly anymore

5823ace91e38035d9e23b7622cc76ad1.png

37 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you think its decaying or maybe the limb proximity makes the systems not pick up on it correctly anymore?

2.) the limb proximity makes the systems not pick up on it correctly anymore

Hi Min

I personally think it is really decaying cause there have'nt been big flares since the "great one". But, as you mentioned, maybe the limb proximity could influence the seismic measurments a little, too. But we have to check more datas to get more experiences, too. 😉

I still do expect some spots coming around next hours, but magnetic activity could be low anyway, so lets wait.

Regards, Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

Hi Min

I personally think it is really decaying cause there have'nt been big flares since the "great one". But, as you mentioned, maybe the limb proximity could influence the seismic measurments a little, too. But we have to check more datas to get more experiences, too. 😉

I still do expect some spots coming around next hours, but magnetic activity could be low anyway, so lets wait.

Regards, Chris

13 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Aww man

image.png.63df7cfbb2747da1754da9e6d2a10be8.png

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Well it may only be the leading spot of the group

image.png.35afbc37426c05d3f676762d18f21b46.png

2 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I mean it still looks like it could do something. It’s still pretty big 🤷‍♂️ 

It’s been flaring on the other side of the limb almost non-stop, the C5 with CME was partially eclipsed, it may well have been M-class. 
I think it can definitely do something!

• Like 1

1 uur geleden, Orneno zei:

it may well have been M-class. 

Doubt it as the loops where already above the limb plus it wasn’t much flattened at the peak so it was likely C8. 
the reason it was bright is because of the facula, but not much spots to see for now so it doesn’t look so good 😜

15 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Doubt it as the loops where already above the limb plus it wasn’t much flattened at the peak so it was likely C8. 
the reason it was bright is because of the facula, but not much spots to see for now so it doesn’t look so good 😜

😒☹️😭

image.png.62e43295206728705d3b09315108855c.png

Well mostly faculae so far... i can see one (big?) sunspot in there, but nothing much interesting comes around sadly. The sun appearently doesn´t want us to get a nice show from it. The Sun rather prefers to hide big things/shows from us than show us, am i right? :((

The sun is simple being the sun🤷‍♂️

😅😂

I wish we could see 360° of the sun...

Edited by Solar_Marcel
Well it just sent it as i was still writing, lol

12 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I believe that the strength index is modulated according to proximity to the limb, i.e. peak strength is indicated near centre disk. I would need to investigate more deeply to confirm that certainly.

I have re-examined data relating to the region FS 2015-075. As well as producing AR2373 at 15/16deg latitude, it also produced AR2376 at 12/13 deg latitude on 1st July, but that produced no significant flares. Another region AR2381 appeared at 15/16deg latitude on 5th July. It is not clear that this was part of the same region, but given the latitude let's assume it was. That region was slightly more active. It was classified beta for 5th / 6th and produced an M1 and M1.7, along with 9 C class flares on the 5th. It was designated Beta-Gamma on 7th / 8th but only managed 4 C class on the 7th, followed by a single C on the 9th (after reverting to Beta).

10.7cm flux is currently quite low, so I would not expect too much activity.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

image.png.c9cc9b0a18a961ee2a43414ddb9da293.png

I was bored, so i stitched and layered 3 recent pictures of STEREO in GIMP, to see what would look like, and well, it looks quite interesting. Given that this region is mostly faculae by now i guess we have to wait and see what really is hiding behind the limb.

Edited by Solar_Marcel
Typing error

Just now, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Of course it happens while im skiing. And while I am (like now 😂)

Lucky too warm here

35 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

I wish we could see 360° of the sun...

You can thank stereo b for that not being a thing