are we going to be in for a treat in about a week?

farm24

45 minutes ago, jeny96 said:

Oh thats good to read, i'm still worrying about the posibility of a Carrington event

Well for you personaly, there´s nothing to worry about. We have an Atmosphere and an Magnetic "Shield" and that deals with that. Yeah, the Power grid, etc. would be harmed, but no individuum.

12 hours ago, Orneno said:

I have no idea what the “strength” value indicates, so no way of interpreting the numbers.

Now that’s bright limb!

87474ABE-2FE9-4A60-B840-0B24D7852A7B.jpeg

Both STEREO-Images look very interesting...

image.png.2fd7ed334e9cbd3a264ae788c6148ae8.png

image.png.83497c3ccd88ce0ae1f80f2425b8fd51.png

19 hours ago, Orneno said:

Oh mb, I thought they went the other way, pay me no heed

i just had to use a translator to understand what you actually ment, lol 

Well thats the downside of being german here, well yes you learn more english, but you dont know everything...😅

Edited by Solar_Marcel
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Orneno said:

How many days do you think it will take before we can see the whole AR on STEREO A? (By then I’m sure some of it will be on the Earthside too)

I think that I can definitely detect the leading edge on Stereo EUVI 195 at 15:00 UTC, 18th Feb. The farside image seems to indicate maximum width approximately 48 degrees so, at 13 degrees / day rotation, we should see the full region on Stereo by end of day 21st February , or perhaps early 22nd February.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Orneno said:

I have no idea what the “strength” value indicates, so no way of interpreting the numbers.

I found this article describing the process behind producing the farside maps http://jsoc.stanford.edu/data/farside/explanation.pdf  Interesting reading !

From reading that document I believe that the strength value relates to the seismic response detected in that region, but I get the impression that it is complicated by factors which include the location of the region.

I'm currently trying to find an archive of those images to see if I can correlate the number with ARs that have previously appeared on the nearside. Edit: Individual images going back to 2010 are available on same website.

Edited by 3gMike
Update re Archive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daniel anderson said:

Personally, given that i don't see anything really big on STERO A, i don't think it will be a big deal.

If you compare the far side map with the imagery from STEREO A, we can only see a tiny part of the AR from STEREO right now. It looks small, but once the whole thing rotates into view, it could be seen to be much larger indeed. 

1 hour ago, daniel anderson said:

Personally, given that i don't see anything really big on STERO A, i don't think it will be a big deal.

Hard to say. I read somewhere, sometime ago, that farside-maps are not too accruate. but im not experienced enough to confirm or deny that.

19 minutes ago, Orneno said:

If you compare the far side map with the imagery from STEREO A, we can only see a tiny part of the AR from STEREO right now. It looks small, but once the whole thing rotates into view, it could be seen to be much larger indeed. 

Youre absolutely right :) 

For everyone interested : here is a picture of the farside map yesterday, and today compared. looks like something split off on the bottom of the region. Not sure if it lost area.

3106793b1e27ed39d76e354d2bcfe048.png445bb0ae560b4df7841e4205523fde95.png

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Hard to say. I read somewhere, sometime ago, that farside-maps are not too accruate. but im not experienced enough to confirm or deny that.

The GONG far side map is n out accurate but the SDO one is very acurate

7 hours ago, jeny96 said:

It could be something yo worry about?

It could be danguerous?

I wouldn't go by Geryl's predictions imo. Nothing against him at all, but rather his predictions and their odd method. It's just... so strange and very much critiqued in his "Coming Sunspots" thread. I'm all for new ways of predicting/analyzing anything, but his might be too unreliable to be truly useful. But that's just me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, farm24 said:

Where is that type II radio coming from?

Type II bursts are associated with coronal mass ejections (CMEs) and are produced at the leading edge of a CME, where a shock wave accelerates the electrons responsible for stimulating plasma emission.

I just dont know where the CME/Flare comes from. Doesnt seem to be center disk.

11 minutes ago, No pseudoscience said:

Since nobody has mentioned it yet (at the time of writing)(I'm surprised that nobody has said it yet) [there's to many comments I'm referring to to quote them all] there is no connection between solar/geomagnetic activity and seismic activity. although one person tries to trick people into thinking that they have "proof" that they for some reason won't even ever show it to anybody, they have no legitimate degrees in neither geology nor astronomy, none of the papers he published are peer reviewed (peer reviewed means that they have been reviewed by qualified professionals, and they have conducted the same experiments in the paper and have found similar results to the ones in the paper) ,

They have not even made a single prediction using what they claim to have "proven" . 

if not even a 50 megaton nuclear weapon could release the tension built up for centuries between tectonic plates then how could a bunch of protons that can't even get to the stratosphere do anything? it's safe to say that there's no connection there.

I tend to ignore such pseudoscience nonsense.

Thanks for saying it though!

1 hour ago, No pseudoscience said:

Since nobody has mentioned it yet (at the time of writing)(I'm surprised that nobody has said it yet) [there's to many comments I'm referring to to quote them all] there is no connection between solar/geomagnetic activity and seismic activity. although one person tries to trick people into thinking that they have "proof" that they for some reason won't even ever show it to anybody, they have no legitimate degrees in neither geology nor astronomy, none of the papers he published are peer reviewed (peer reviewed means that they have been reviewed by qualified professionals, and they have conducted the same experiments in the paper and have found similar results to the ones in the paper) ,

They have not even made a single prediction using what they claim to have "proven" . 

if not even a 50 megaton nuclear weapon could release the tension built up for centuries between tectonic plates then how could a bunch of protons that can't even get to the stratosphere do anything? it's safe to say that there's no connection there.

Thanks, aptly named @No pseudoscience 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuhnate said:

Too much coincidence for there not to be a correlation between earthquakes and coronal hole streams or imf boundary sector crossings. Also if u don't think the sun effects geoactivity you should science more. Let's take for example nucleation of particles due to cosmic rays in Si rich magma. 

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, the confidence of one unqualified person is not applicable if every qualified expert disagrees with the one lier

Unless you can predict an earthquake before it happens multiple times in a row, then you are mistaking pseudoscience for actual science. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Kuhnate said:

Uhhh no. We're currently in what's called a "solar minimum". She's been quiet. Our magnetosphere is now atleast -25% power so even small things effect our planet more. (Like starlink satellites getting effed up, increase in lightning, aurora with low level kp, picking up ground charging from small cme ) 

we're not down 25% and i dont know where you even take those numbers from. 

but alas, can we please stay ontopic here?