are we going to be in for a treat in about a week?

farm24

10 minutes ago, jeny96 said:

these are new sunspots incoming? (latitude -30 and 30)

EUVI/AIA 195 Stonyhurst Heliographic (Earth-view)

Hi! thankyou ❤️ 

(Reverse psychology) What a bunch of losers, those sunspots will never account for anything, they might as well decay right now and rid the sun of their blotchy vestige. 

5 minutes before this happens I wonder: 

I wonder if there is going to be any new sunspots

5 minutes later: this thread says yes

4 minutes ago, Orneno said:

(Reverse psychology) What a bunch of losers, those sunspots will never account for anything, they might as well decay right now and rid the sun of their blotchy vestige. 

What if they do that? 😱 

Or maybe I make them decay 

Huh. I didn’t think of that 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

5 minutes before this happens I wonder: 

I wonder if there is going to be any new sunspots

5 minutes later: this thread says yes

What if they do that? 😱 

i dont know but there is another image what do you think?

and how many days do you think we have to wait?(i dont know but i think in 3-4 days maybe?)

STEREO Ahead EUVI 195

On 2/19/2022 at 9:24 AM, 3gMike said:

Just out of interest I looked for a similar sized Farside AR occurring during Solar Maximum, when you might reasonably expect higher levels of activity. The table below seems to indicate that size is not everything, and if the comparison is valid we might be a bit disappointed.

1287515946_ComparisonFarsideARs.thumb.png.cd826a90ff4ac93076f8daf03210b23f.png

where did you get this graph

1 hour ago, LunarLights58 said:

Huh. Space weather hasn't been this bland for a while.

Yes, and it does not look like it will get any better for several days. The two farside magnetic regions just approaching the eastern limb look to be be fairly quiet on Stereo. There is a (currently) larger area which should be on the eastern limb in four days or so, which might offer some hope - but we've been disappointed before !

February stats are interesting. We've had fifteen separate ARs, but only five of those have been moderately active - 2936, 2939, 2940, 2941 and 2944 - mainly producing C flares. We had three M flares - one from 2944 and two from 2941. The majority of C flares (68) arose between 1st and 7th Feb, with a further 39 between the 8th and 26th.

10.7cm flux has remained reasonably strong - in the range 100 to 130 in the first half of the month, and not falling below 92 for the remainder. That looks good for this part of the cycle.

The only other factor I have noticed, which may or may not be significant, is that the northern polar coronal hole has been absent since 9th February.

Not all of us are disappointed.  I am disappointed that I've had to work two long shifts yesterday (Friday) and today so I haven't had time to play radio with these better-than-average conditions.

On the other hand, I hope for a strong solar maximum because the flux numbers will go much higher than today's. That's what I'm really looking forward to.

The low K index is good for radio but ionization is still low.  More shortwave bands are open but signals are weak and will remain so for another couple of years.

• Like 1