are we going to be in for a treat in about a week?

farm24

1 minute ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Of course it happens while im skiing. And while I am (like now 😂)

I cant even go skiing. We have really stormy weather here in Austria and +10°C ☹️

6 minutes ago, farm24 said:

Lucky too warm here

You can thank stereo b for that not being a thing

but than we also could not see the far side... Stereo Behind would be on L2, We need one farther out than STEREO A, like on L3 or something like that

6 hours ago, Solar_Marcel said:

image.png.63df7cfbb2747da1754da9e6d2a10be8.png

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

92177258_Screenshot2022-02-20191613.thumb.jpg.812b4b75ba2f6645ea309e8b3e48aace.jpg

Lonely Sunspot...

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, farm24 said:

It started spinning for some reason/ some sort of glitch and the antennas couldn’t communicate with earth

So it’s gone

Dang..

But what exactly is the difference between STEREO A and STEREO B? Aren't they the same thing?

Edited by Solarflaretracker200
ENGLISH

23 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Dang..

But what exactly is the difference between STEREO A and STEREO B? Aren't they the same thing?

Exactly the same thing, only on different positions. one is right, one is left.

Stereo A (Ahead) sees the Sun, before it is facing us.

Stereo B (behind) sees the Sun after we did, thus making it able to see what regions are up to once they rotate off the limb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Exactly the same thing, only on different positions. one is right, one is left.

Stereo A (Ahead) sees the Sun, before it is facing us.

Stereo B (behind) sees the Sun after we did, thus making it able to see what regions are up to once they rotate off the limb.

For some reason though in 2014 there was full disk images combining stereo a and b

That could see the entire sun

20 minutes ago, farm24 said:

For some reason though in 2014 there was full disk images combining stereo a and b

STEREO A is closer to the Sun than Earth making it have a shorter orbit while STEREO B is further away having a longer orbit. In 2023 after about 17 years both satellites and Earth will be nearly aligned and the closest together since the STEREO satellites were launched in 2006.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LunarLights58 said:

We really really need new solar observation probes on all sides of the Sun. 

We do.  I find it shocking that we have no significant solar observatory missions coming or even proposed. Nothing.

ESA has two or three probes coming that will fly eccentric orbits around the sun hoping to catch glimpses of the polar regions that we know little about.  The Russians have two probes coming along intended to leave the solar system at a high enough speed to take measurements of the interstellar medium from up to 85 AU by the middle of the century.

But as far as steady observation of the sun like STEREO, there's nothing even planned.

On 20/2/2022 at 2:35, jeny96 said:

Voy a ser honesto... no lo entendí en el último tweet  😅 (tal vez podría ser el primer idioma es español y soy un aficionado en esta área)

hola solo dijo que uso la palabra "amenaza" por el filamento solar, pero nada mas  eso dijo en el twitter ese (wave only said that he used the word "threat" because of the solar filament, but that's all he said on twitter)

9 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I dont want to lose hope that someday, somehow, Stereo B will be revived.

No. I dont want to take your hope but i quote: "Four years after the initial loss of communications anomaly with STEREO Behind observatory, NASA has directed to cease periodic recovery operations with the last support on October 17, 2018." 

2016 they could periodicly communicate with STEREO B, but the Battery State was very very low and because of the Spin it could not be stabilised, so the solar panels also couldnt charge the battery

Quote: "Communications with Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory-B (STEREO-B) were lost on Oct. 1, 2014, due to multiple hardware anomalies affecting control of the spacecraft orientation. Communications with STEREO-B were re-established on Aug. 21, 2016, during a monthly attempt to reach the spacecraft using NASA's Deep Space Network. During the next weeks, the NASA and the Johns Hopkins APL STEREO teams worked tirelessly to discover the spacecraft's current conditions and to recover the spacecraft fully. The attempt to recover the spacecraft was not successful. STEREO-B has now been out of contact since Sept. 23, 2016. 

Well, they now dont even try to re-establish the contact, even if they could (and they can) track STEREO B with the DSN (DeepSpace Network)

😔

Source: https://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/behind_status.shtml

14 hours ago, Solar_Marcel said:

I cant even go skiing. We have really stormy weather here in Austria and +10°C ☹️

but than we also could not see the far side... Stereo Behind would be on L2, We need one farther out than STEREO A, like on L3 or something like that

92177258_Screenshot2022-02-20191613.thumb.jpg.812b4b75ba2f6645ea309e8b3e48aace.jpg

Lonely Sunspot...

And oh look, it isnt lonely anymore...

image.png.54d8b019f2454aaf757e060cb9f3b368.png

Edited by Solar_Marcel
Error

34 minuten geleden, Solar_Marcel zei:

These 2 Sunspots appear very "indented" on the HMI Dopplergram... 

The umbra is a colder region and thus tends to be a bit “deeper” than the solar surface. That’s also why it’s not possible to determine the magnetic layout of sunspot regions that are so close to the limb.

81629E99-ABB4-49C6-8318-A3025CA3C060.jpeg

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The umbra is a colder region and thus tends ggggggggggggggggggggggggto be a bit “deeper” than the solar surface. That’s also why it’s not possible to determine the magnetic layout of sunspot regions that are so close to the limb.

81629E99-ABB4-49C6-8318-A3025CA3C060.jpeg

Ohhhhh thanks, i didnt know that! Well, learned something new 😁

Does this say anything or what is tahat dopplergram for?

Just now, Solar_Marcel said:

Ohhhhh thanks, i didnt know that! Well, learned something new 😁

Does this say anything or what is tahat dopplergram for?

eh, what happened to your reply??

Edited by Solar_Marcel

2 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Is AR2936 or AR2954 to be correct a dud?

well yes, but also no. 

I dont know what may be still behind the limb aaaaand we dont know if it developes more Sunspots. Now we have to play the waiting/patience game. Just wait, and see.

3 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

The region might have connected to you with telekinesis and heard you talking about it shrinking...🤪😅

6 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

also do we know that it is AR2936?

1 minute ago, Solar_Marcel said:

The region might have connected to you with telekinesis and heard you talking about it shrinking...🤪😅

SHHHH! We don't want it to.... *looks around quickly* umm... *whispers* shrink more 

2 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

Now we have to play the waiting/patience game.

Alright then...works for me lol

4 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

also do we know that it is AR2936?

Yes I think so 

• Cool 1

SHHHH! We don't want it to.... *looks around quickly* umm... *whispers* shrink more 

🤣

look, it wouldnt do that, or would it?

Yes I think so 

well ok then.

HOW do we know? Because i dont know how it can be said that a specific region is that region of the past rotation...

Edited by Solar_Marcel
I cant write in English, lol