are we going to be in for a treat in about a week?

farm24

8 minutes ago, Orneno said:

@jeny96in the future please try to use the regular font size, thanks 

got it i´m sorry

9 hours ago, farm24 said:

compare it with the biggest sunspot on SWL record: AR2192

AR_MAP_2014_10.12_00_00_00.jpeg.6ec2756e3e2254dd48e89c67643f367e.jpeg

compare the Composite maps of them too.

COMPOSITE_MAP_2014_10.12_00_00_00.jpeg.e7814eac50f44848621945133153a179.jpeg2192

and the one on the farside1849565783_ScreenShot2022-02-16at10_58_54AM.thumb.jpg.1e7cb45454e4a3b56424f1649e46a42f.jpg

so is it a bit smaller than 2192?

9 minutes ago, Bedreamon said:

That's worrying to think about if it was.🙁

Lets not speculate too much about it. Nobody here can pinpoint how strong it was.. 

A question for yall:

Spaceweather.com stated that there were only 2 Regions that big since 2017 on the Farside map. Does someone remember which one the first one was, since the one right now is the second? I dont remember 😵💫😅 

Also: is all the area sunspot/s or can it be faculae/brightness too? I remember someone once saying its often glitchy/faulty?

I gotta be honest, this is the first time i paid attention to the farside map.

45 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

It can’t do crap to earth. Only major radio blackouts would happen and nice aurora 

I guess that might be the case, but who truly knows? Speculation about something like this leads nowhere, really.
Still, the aurora is pretty, I agree, but its effect on electronic things might be... well, that's just going back to non-scientific speculation, which isn't worth it. Probably gotta slow down reading/watching YT channels and their comments (That's all I'm gonna say with that portion of space weather, don't wanna derail anything over something like that).

Edited by Bedreamon

12 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I gotta be honest, this is the first time i paid attention to the farside map.

STEREO has some explanation to the farside maps on their site, https://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/beacon/beacon_farside.shtml.

12 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

2 Regions that big since 2017

One would be back around September 4th-10th, 2017, 3 X-Class flares if I remember correctly.

Edited by Jesterface23

29 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

STEREO has some explanation to the farside maps on their site, https://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/beacon/beacon_farside.shtml.

One would be back around September 4th-10th, 2017, 3 X-Class flares if I remember correctly.

Thank you! 

So this is the biggest Farside Sunspot since 2017, correct?:)

I like this thread.

8 hours ago, Bedreamon said:

I guess that might be the case, but who truly knows? Speculation about something like this leads nowhere, really.
Still, the aurora is pretty, I agree, but its effect on electronic things might be... well, that's just going back to non-scientific speculation, which isn't worth it. Probably gotta slow down reading/watching YT channels and their comments (That's all I'm gonna say with that portion of space weather, don't wanna derail anything over something like that).

I have the same concern/fear

38 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Its still growing but now has a friend with it:

Screenshot 2022-02-17 062146.png

This region my be a banger

Those look like they could affect the earth? I mean in the people or in the technology

17 minutes ago, jeny96 said:

I mean strong geomagnetic storms like g3 or stronger

Sunspot regions don't directly cause geomagnetic storms. Sunspot regions produce solar flares, but they don't always result in Coronal Mass Ejections. Strong CMEs come from complex sunspot regions most of the time, so we will need to wait and see what it looks like when it rotates into our view.

• Thanks 1