Incoming Active Regions

I wonder what will emerge for us in the east. They appear mainly in the northern part of the nice loop, which surprises me because I didn't expect AR 3614/3590 to survive.
In the southern part I am curious to see the return of AR 3615 and what is left of it.
I'll tame the anticipation, but not the curiosity.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 9:43 PM, MinYoongi said:

very nice @Jay-B ! I hope everyone in the US that was able to enjoy the solar eclipse had much fun. 

Yes, thoroughly enjoyed! Thanks. When I started following this community for aurora hunting, never thought would be able to see corona with naked eye. Mesmerizing feeling on Mon when I observed from Northeast Vermont. Managed to capture the same using 14 exposures and blending. Amazed at how close the pic turned out to be of what I saw. Guess would add eclipse hunting to my aurora hunting passion ;)

Corona.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, tniickck said:

yall see these rising loops behind the incoming limb? 

Yeah, M-flare from the south & something big erupting on the northern side

6 minutes ago, mozy said:

0f57e3ef40e62d23e3fd39db2300057c.png
https://gyazo.com/0f57e3ef40e62d23e3fd39db2300057c

Here a nice 304A screenshot i took, that shows the southern region as the culprit for the M flare :) Thought you all might enjoy it.

On a side note, is the northern eruption a filament or in relation to the CME?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Here a nice 304A screenshot i took, that shows the southern region as the culprit for the M flare :) Thought you all might enjoy it.

Looks like a similar situation like when AR3614 & AR3615 flared at the same time with the impulsive flare on the south & the eruptive one on the north.

Edited by mozy

20 minutes ago, Aten said:

Looks like there was an M5 flare from just beyond the limb.

14 minutes ago, tniickck said:

yall see these rising loops behind the incoming limb? 

8 minutes ago, mozy said:

Looks like something huge, I don't think I've ever seen that much movement in 131 Å, looks almost like 304 Å looks when a large filament erupts.

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yeah, seemed like it came from there, although my eyes were drawn more towards the northern eruption beyond the limb. Doesn't look like much is visible there in 304 Å, so I'm assuming it's a CME, although I'm not sure if it's trying to erupt and falling back down or if it's about to release something big, heh.

Just now, Philalethes said:

Looks like something huge, I don't think I've ever seen that much movement in 131 Å, looks almost like 304 Å looks when a large filament erupts.

Yeah, seemed like it came from there, although my eyes were drawn more towards the northern eruption beyond the limb. Doesn't look like much is visible there in 304 Å, so I'm assuming it's a CME, although I'm not sure if it's trying to erupt and falling back down or if it's about to release something big, heh.

So you think the eruption is still ongoing?

7 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Thanks for the image. I actually had a hard time spotting where the flare came from based on SDO. There is hardly any brightening to be seen on SDO but on the image you provided the M5 must have come from the south-east limb. But there was a big but not bright eruption behind the north-east limb. A very strange sequence of events.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

So you think the eruption is still ongoing?

It's hard to say. In the most recent 131 Å frames the plasma still seems to be expanding outwards, which I guess is indicative of "yes"; but it seems to look a bit fainter like what it typically looks like when the plasma mostly rains back down, so could be a failed eruption. I guess we'll find out more soon.

Just now, Marcel de Bont said:

Thanks for the image. I actually had a hard time spotting where the flare came from based on SDO. There is hardly any brightening to be seen on SDO but on the image you provided the M5 must have come from the south-east limb. But there was a big but not bright eruption behind the north-east limb. A very strange sequence of events.

Yep! Its best visible in 304A actually. 0f57e3ef40e62d23e3fd39db2300057c.png

1 minute ago, Marcel de Bont said:

The "not bright" part to me sounds like a filament of some sort, maybe? 

13 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Why couldn't this have been 3 days earlier. I'd love to see what a strong M flare on the limb would look like during totality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marcel de Bont said:

The M5 must have come from the south-east but there is a major ejection on the north.

That is super cool! where do you find these videos?

2 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

ezgif.com-animated-gif-maker.gif

This is a really interesting eruption. The M5 must have come from the south-east but there is a major ejection on the north.

What is your best guess or theory? :) 

12 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

"AIA/HMI Browse Data" then just click the date range, wavelength you want to see and let it generate the movie. In Marcel's video, "AIA 94"

I thought all those videos were behind by a few hours at least.