Incoming Active Regions

Activity on the east limb? Huge coronal loops starting to become visible on the AIA images from SDO! This topic is for you! Solar flares and sunspot regions on the east limb that are not numbered yet are discussed in this topic. The previous version of this thread can be found here.

spacer.png

Looks promising, also to note the pool of loops (got its name by @hamateur 1953, speaking of AR 3586) isnt done, and more importantly, behind the limb, barely visible there seems to be an active region with bright loops, hopefully its better that thre recently turned in regions, haha

Edited by Solar_Marcel
got it to work lol
  • Cool 2

23 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Activity on the east limb? Huge coronal loops starting to become visible on the AIA images from SDO! This topic is for you! Solar flares and sunspot regions on the east limb that are not numbered yet are discussed in this topic.

Thanks for this new thread :) at first i thought you were talking about a specific incoming AR/ Loops, then checked and saw no coronal loops so i figured this is the new thread for incoming regions. is the old thread that was started by me still archived? There was a lot of nice info that accumulated over the months :) 

• Like 2

Zojuist, MinYoongi zei:

Thanks for this new thread :) at first i thought you were talking about a specific incoming AR/ Loops, then checked and saw no coronal loops so i figured this is the new thread for incoming regions. is the old thread that was started by me still archived? There was a lot of nice info that accumulated over the months :) 

It will of course exist until the end of time. Or until the servers go up in flames. Whichever one comes first. Just wanting to make a fresh start on the three topics. It also got really big the old topic which is intensive for the server to handle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

You bet! We made sure to keep that, lots of good discussion there! You’ll see it has just been locked and renamed. 

Edited by Sam Warfel

43 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

❤️ thanks guys! off to a fresh start.

Just so we dont go offtopic : This is whats incoming. Any Idea if the "big black blob" in the Northern Hemisphere is a possible recurring region? 

072e6ddd2d2ff233ec7fef060916720d.png

I believe it’s a newly developed region. According to JSOC images and video

43 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

❤️ thanks guys! off to a fresh start.

Just so we dont go offtopic : This is whats incoming. Any Idea if the "big black blob" in the Northern Hemisphere is a possible recurring region? 

072e6ddd2d2ff233ec7fef060916720d.png

Looking at the photospheric map from Jan 29th there was nothing much at that latitude but there was a large positive polarity field at C240, with a high latitude negative above it. I guess they may have re-organised to C210, but whatever the case we cannot tell what the configuration will be.

prelim.pho_jan29_24(crop).jpg.51635143bd606f7b52cfb77f6de13d42.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woah magnificent beautiful loops on the incoming side...

Screenshot-2024-02-17-101902.jpg

I hope there is something complex over there, because as it seems everything on the board now is decaying and/or shrinking and fading away into nothinglessness :( 

Edited by Solar_Marcel
looks haha

36 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I have Halo CME in the highest most regard but writing SCARY BIG ACTIVE REGION is not classy and a bit disappointed to see such writing from him. There is a nice active region on the far side for sure we have seen the CMEs coming from there but we have no idea how the region looks like. Using the word scary does not benefit anyone. There could be a large far side active region there yes but a massive area of faculae also shows up like this on far side imaging. Or two regions close to each other.

I felt the same, there's another specific Twitter person that does this exact same thing so a bit disappointing to see the same thing from Halo CME too..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I have Halo CME in the highest most regard but writing SCARY BIG ACTIVE REGION is not classy and a bit disappointed to see such writing from him. There is a nice active region on the far side for sure we have seen the CMEs coming from there but we have no idea how the region looks like. Using the word scary does not benefit anyone. There could be a large far side active region there yes but a massive area of faculae also shows up like this on far side imaging. Or two regions close to each other.

Exactly. Also the cmes are most likely not from that Region/s but from old 3575 as he himself states later in the Post. I was very disappointed because for the past 5 years he was always very professional and not a sensationalist.. I saw a couple regions on farside imagery as big as this or even bigger. Mostly they were large areas of plage surrounding „normal“ sized sunspots. And even if it were to be that big, big does not equal complex or „scary“ 😕

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Exactly. Also the cmes are most likely not from that Region/s but from old 3575 as he himself states later in the Post. I was very disappointed because for the past 5 years he was always very professional and not a sensationalist.. I saw a couple regions on farside imagery as big as this or even bigger. Mostly they were large areas of plage surrounding „normal“ sized sunspots. And even if it were to be that big, big does not equal complex or „scary“ 😕

Because most of us love this stuff even Tamitha Skov became aware of how some ill informed people are easy prey to some of the hyperbole present on some websites and selects her verbiage very carefully these days.  Even brilliant scientific minds make mistakes.  I'm unfortunately not as circumspect at times in my descriptions having no fear of most things save a certain unnamed feline….  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Unnamed cat. Hagrid

6 hours ago, Solar_Marcel said:

Woah magnificent beautiful loops on the incoming side...

Screenshot-2024-02-17-101902.jpg

I hope there is something complex over there, because as it seems everything on the board now is decaying and/or shrinking and fading away into nothinglessness :( 

This is only a temporary lull, no problem. Within a week moderate activity should resume, solar flux increase yet again on our climb towards Solar Maximum. 

48 minuten geleden, Jesterface23 zei:

We should have only about a 2-4 more day wait before we see the first spots of old region 3575 on our side.

It maybe could be an active region. However, June 2023 was the maximum. Therefore the total sunspot count for the rest of February, March and April should be lower then those of 2023… stay tuned…😉🤔

The region is possibly linked to 7 strong far side CMEs. The region size doesn't matter much, it is about the complexity.

56 minutes ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

However, June 2023 was the maximum. Therefore the total sunspot count for the rest of February, March and April should be lower then those of 2023… stay tuned…😉🤔

If you want to end this in this topic now, "was" could very well be correct. All we need is February and March to have monthly sunspot numbers at or above 129.2 and September 2023 will become the next new possible maximum. It may very well fall back to October, but we'll just need to wait and see. Stay tuned, in another topic.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

It maybe could be an active region. However, June 2023 was the maximum. Therefore the total sunspot count for the rest of February, March and April should be lower then those of 2023… stay tuned…😉🤔

Ah, yes, the excellent scientific attitude of, "I predicted this, therefore what I didn't predict can't possibly occur". Sounds very reasonable.

2 hours ago, Justanerd said:

Patrick, I’ve been reading your theories and postulates about solar max for the past year and my opinion is as follows:

whether or not solar max has come and gone, whether your calculations and theories are correct or not, people are not swayed by your Sheldonistic attitude and demeanor, because in real life, people do not find arrogant know-it-alls charming or cute and therefore acceptable. In fact, quite the opposite. How you present your theory and argue your case is oftentimes more important than the content of the argument where acceptance by your peers is concerned. Learn from someone who has walked that path long before you…

If we were in fact talking about insufferable genius it would be more forgivable, but it's especially bad when the track record so far seems to be closer to a know-nothing know-it-all...

For some more on-topic discussion instead, I see the incoming spot now, looks quite big indeed. The loops in the 171 Å imagery still look impressive, and I see fair amount of transequatorial loops too. Looks like an interesting region for sure.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

The region is possibly linked to 7 strong far side CMEs. The region size doesn't matter much, it is about the complexity.

If you want to end this in this topic now, "was" could very well be correct. All we need is February and March to have monthly sunspot numbers at or above 129.2 and September 2023 will become the next new possible maximum. It may very well fall back to October, but we'll just need to wait and see. Stay tuned, in another topic.

I thought the strong cmes came from old 3575 in the southern hemisphere? Or do you mean other cmes ?