Incoming Active Regions

47 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

Hopefully nice and still big...

It appears to be pretty big. I spotted it 2 days ago via its prominences and it still has not turned into view yet.

It looks to be almost as bright as 3590 

Screenshot 2024-02-29 133214.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jay-B said:

It appears to be pretty big. I spotted it 2 days ago via its prominences and it still has not turned into view yet.

It looks to be almost as bright as 3590 

Screenshot 2024-02-29 133214.jpg

there seem to be a few spots visible now, but they kinda seem lame and weak... 
Or maybe i am Mistaken here and our region is behind that whats showing on the limb now

10 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

there seem to be a few spots visible now, but they kinda seem lame and weak... 
Or maybe i am Mistaken here and our region is behind that whats showing on the limb now

It looks like that is only the first half of the spot. But yeah, what is visible does not look like its all that interesting.

3-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Jay-B said:

It looks like that is only the first half of the spot. But yeah, what is visible does not look like its all that interesting.

3-1.jpg

In decay. But he can perform a resurrection.
However, something may still be hiding behind the limb.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

Absolute unit of a CME was launched moments ago. I wonder if this was possibly from old AR3576? I believe old AR3576 should be rotating back into view in a few days.

Screenshot_20240309-171135~3.png

It could just be a filament, But a very beautiful eruption indeed.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

Absolute unit of a CME was launched moments ago. I wonder if this was possibly from old AR3576? I believe old AR3576 should be rotating back into view in a few days.

pretty!

43 minutes ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

It could just be a filament, But a very beautiful eruption indeed.

I wondered this also. 

d1d71979e23384bc0c429a9aaf983cbe.png

To me it looks like the big region there is too much in the middle to produce an eastern cme like that but im by no means an expert. @Jesterface23 i bet you enjoy the CME imagery so i'll tag you :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

That looks to have been a large filament eruption maybe 40-50 degrees over the limb.

My only argument against it being a filament would be that when viewing SUVI and SDO it looks like it's velocity is too fast for a filament and there's a small visible shockwave. It begins around the 22:00:00 mark on 03/09

1 hour ago, Parabolic said:

My only argument against it being a filament would be that when viewing SUVI and SDO it looks like it's velocity is too fast for a filament and there's a small visible shockwave. It begins around the 22:00:00 mark on 03/09

It might be just happen to have been the angle it launched at to give it the wide shock. The filament overall looks too wide to have come from a sunspot region.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Warfel said:

That is a gorgeous eruption. I’ve about had it with SC25 and missing us.

I’m totally sympathetic.  At least the Europeans got a decent show recently and even @tniickck got to see some decent aurora though.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I’m totally sympathetic.  At least the Europeans got a decent show recently and even @tniickck got to see some decent aurora though.   

I saw it on the 29th, but that was just a tiny KP3 ripple.  Not the G5 we could have had multiple times already.
We deserve better!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

I saw it on the 29th, but that was just a tiny KP3 ripple.  Not the G5 we could have had multiple times already.
We deserve better!

I completely agree @Sam Warfel  I would promise you a repeat of Aug 4 1972 but the bz stunk on that one!  I will remain cautiously optimistic for the next three years or so.  Although our SFI may not be awesome,  the sun is far from done with us despite unfounded predictions to the contrary.   And Solar max ain’t even here yet btw.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

yes! considering that I live at the 50th geomagnetic latitude

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Parabolic said:

Isn't old AR3576 now AR3599? Do you mean AR3590?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

10 hours ago, Loganas said:

Isn't old AR3576 now AR3599? Do you mean AR3590?

I might be miss remembering, I'll have to check again. It probably was a filament as mentioned above. 

15 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

I might be miss remembering, I'll have to check again. It probably was a filament as mentioned above. 

Looking back, I was initially thinking of Old AR3590 but I guess I went back a few too many rotations haha. The angle of the eruption does somewhat match the position ar3590 was in last rotation. I won't completely disagree with those who have much more experience than I. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

Looking back, I was initially thinking of Old AR3590 but I guess I went back a few too many rotations haha. The angle of the eruption does somewhat match the position ar3590 was in last rotation. I won't completely disagree with those who have much more experience than I. 

Everyone, experienced or not makes mistakes either here solar soft or any number of other places.  Sometimes I catch my own, or others will catch them for me, no big deal.  😆

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

Ah gotcha, no biggie! In the end we're all just a bunch of nerds who like to look at a huge glowing ball for fun :lol:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Meloney said:

This image of the sun from March 9 from Perseverance looks promising. I think we might be in for a nice surprise!

Bild_2024-03-10_222417182.png

no surprises (you got radioheaded) 

the right big spot is 3590 and there is probably 3595 in the middle, so both will likely return inactive

Edited by tniickck
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 3:08 PM, tniickck said:

no surprises (you got radioheaded) 

the right big spot is 3590 and there is probably 3595 in the middle, so both will likely return inactive

This sounds a bit pessimistic @tniickck  Say it isn’t so!! Haha. Later dude. Mike. 

12 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

This sounds a bit pessimistic @tniickck  Say it isn’t so!! Haha. Later dude. Mike. 

the region still looks big but i dont think we've seen CME's from it. not too sure since i cant take a look at things daily atm :( 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

the region still looks big but i dont think we've seen CME's from it. not too sure since i cant take a look at things daily atm :( 

Yeah. Presently I am happy to see the recent arrival of four new active regions in the Northern Hemisphere* @MinYoongi I was becoming a bit concerned that the pessimistic outlooks for Cycle 25 might have had some merit.  However, If you take a look at Growth of thread,  irrefutable logic returns thankfully to that thread.  * oops. 3607 is Southern Hemisphere. My bad. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
3607 SH