Incoming Active Regions

3 hours ago, SamDieGurke said:

Hey everyone ^^
Been lurking here since November 2023 and thought I would finally join. Something seems to be moving into view behind 3615. Doesn't seem like it has done anything so far but still looks a lil interesting.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 193928.png

Magnetogram suggests an Alpha type sunspot?
image.png.9ff434d7c9c508527058f982ae8b6a31.png

In front of AR3615 closer to the center of the disk; is that a perfect example of a coronal hole? It's not as visible on the 171 Angstroms though.

https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/latest_4096_0193.jpg

15 minutes ago, IDNeon said:

Magnetogram suggests an Alpha type sunspot?
image.png.9ff434d7c9c508527058f982ae8b6a31.png

In front of AR3615 closer to the center of the disk; is that a perfect example of a coronal hole? It's not as visible on the 171 Angstroms though.

https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/latest_4096_0193.jpg

Yeah unfortunately looks like it's just alpha for now. Hoping there's something still hiding behind it although far side imagery doesnt really suggested that I think as it looked pretty small on there. But who knows. There also are some loops behind the limb in the northern hemisphere, might also be something hiding behind there. And yeah the thing in front of AR3615 is a coronal hole

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mozy said:

Eruption going on behind the limb, new active region on Its way? 😎

Is the increased flow due to that eruption? Is slowly increasing, almost at M

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very excited to hear about any interesting new spots appearing on the limb.
I'm part of a Solar Flare Sounding Rocket Campaign launching from Poker Flat Alaska in the next few weeks (FOXSI-4 and HI-C Flare rockets)!  The plan is to sit on the launch pad waiting for a flare, but there's gotta be an active region that actually flares!  Hope we have some really cool stuff rotate onto the disk soon.

• Cool 2

An anti-hale spot would indeed be interesting as I understand it.  More likely to have magnetic instability leading to flaring and possible CMEs. I wish you good luck!   Mike 

20 minutes ago, DanicaShardae201 said:

I'm very excited to hear about any interesting new spots appearing on the limb.
I'm part of a Solar Flare Sounding Rocket Campaign launching from Poker Flat Alaska in the next few weeks (FOXSI-4 and HI-C Flare rockets)!  The plan is to sit on the launch pad waiting for a flare, but there's gotta be an active region that actually flares!  Hope we have some really cool stuff rotate onto the disk soon.

2 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Yep. South nine limb event.  Probably in incoming regions but haven’t checked.  Excitement about a C flare.  Haha. Well the next two weeks should be interesting, lets hope. @DanicaShardae201  heads up

We're all in Alaska now and this happened during dinner! We knew there was a flare but had no idea where. Very excited to see the region that made this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DanicaShardae201 said:

We're all in Alaska now and this happened during dinner! We knew there was a flare but had no idea where. Very excited to see the region that made this.

I generally use solar soft. It is typically the quickest but probably not quick enough for your needs! Typically 15 min for an update as to full details.  Good luck. Mike  

With a special thanks to @Chris_Wicklund on Twitter

3615 seems to have grown a lot since rotating off the Visible Disc. :)  

No big CME's in Lasco Coronagraph so we cant know if its just growth, Faculae, another Region or anything of course but its something worth watching.  About 6-7 Days away from the eastern limb, i think. Correct me if im wrong :) 

fdda6548f490c429051e07d913d97ef9.png

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, people use this farside monitor way too much in their "forecasts", I keep seeing Twitter hype posts everyday about regions being so huge on the farside and 90% of the time they rotate into our view It's literally nothing or just one big alpha spot at most with nothing going on. It's just too inaccurate.

Sure they can indeed be big or growing but I still wouldn't hype anything up if there's no activity seen (CME's) at all from the farside.

That's just my take on it, not trying to be a negative andy but I'm lowkey tired of seeing it every week.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, tniickck said:

at least two decent were from there, check last models

Which models? I looked at lasco and cactus monitor and I did not see anything worth mentioning, saw nobody talk about anything worth mentioning on here or twitter either so maybe I missed something :) 

52 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Which models? I looked at lasco and cactus monitor and I did not see anything worth mentioning, saw nobody talk about anything worth mentioning on here or twitter either so maybe I missed something :) 

lollipops

• Cool 1

Sander stepped in a bit ago over a mars rover thing also.  Personally (and this is just me) whenever the baseline flux dips below the  C level for some inexplicable reason when we become bored.  Patrick pops up again.  Could just be a coincidence.  Probably is.  

5 hours ago, mozy said:

Not gonna lie, people use this farside monitor way too much in their "forecasts", I keep seeing Twitter hype posts everyday about regions being so huge on the farside and 90% of the time they rotate into our view It's literally nothing or just one big alpha spot at most with nothing going on. It's just too inaccurate.

Sure they can indeed be big or growing but I still wouldn't hype anything up if there's no activity seen (CME's) at all from the farside.

That's just my take on it, not trying to be a negative andy but I'm lowkey tired of seeing it every week.

Hot but relatable take. 

Though the data is "ahead" of what SWPC and the rest of us probably actually use, it's garbo. Rorshach forecasting? 

Let me try to be constructive about it: A mission like STEREO would benefit us immensely. I would vote towards a mission with the objective of far-side analysis. What we have right now is super uber low resolution composites that don't really concern most of the Earthbound, Earth-orbiting, or Lunar-orbiting satellites/missions. However, it would provide the much-needed insight into the entire lifespan of these sunspots.

Edited by Christopher Shriver
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Christopher Shriver said:

Hot but relatable take. 

Though the data is "ahead" of what SWPC and the rest of us probably actually use, it's garbo. Rorshach forecasting? 

Let me try to be constructive about it: A mission like STEREO would benefit us immensely. I would vote towards a mission with the objective of far-side analysis. What we have right now is super uber low resolution composites that don't really concern most of the Earthbound, Earth-orbiting, or Lunar-orbiting satellites/missions. However, it would provide the much-needed insight into the entire lifespan of these sunspots.

Certainly wouldn’t disagree with your sentiments.  But it is the best we presently have.   Until we redirect the funds into better stuff, that is.  Mike 

In fact, your post reminded me just now of a Scott Mcintosh  post awhile ago where they were able to use whatever was still available from a failing satellite which still had some portions functioning.  Which at the time also reminded me of Apollo 13 when Eugene Kranz said paraphrasing here  “ What do we have on the spacecraft that is still working?”  Ha  

Rorschach Forecasts love that especially Hopefully you intended humour there   

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

3 uren geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Maybe you can find something in the unproven section🫢

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mozy said:

I don't see you as negative andy, lol ❤️😃
I can well understand your opinion and tend to share it and definitely agree with you on most points.
as sander mentioned in another thread and i mentioned here, i haven't noticed much activity yet either so it may just be big. i only made the post because even if the quality isn't super good you can definitely see that the region is growing a lot probably.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i only made the post because even if the quality isn't super good you can definitely see that the region is growing a lot probably.

I don't think that's the case everytime, we've seen this before and It turned out to be one big spot only.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 2