Incoming Active Regions

Supposedly old 3590 is due very soon at around N 17 if my memory is still working.  I would expect to be seeing something around that latitude peeking at us. Although @tniickck might be correct in that all we will see is plage.  Hopefully if this is the case it recovers for another transit! 

6 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Supposedly old 3590 is due very soon at around N 17 if my memory is still working.  I would expect to be seeing something around that latitude peeking at us. Although @tniickck might be correct in that all we will see is plage.  Hopefully if this is the case it recovers for another transit! 

nah, it's gonna be a single big spot, not enough time passed for it to decay

• Like 1

not more than M5

2 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

I wonder what this flare would be registering in strength if it were center disk? M3.5 is pretty impressive for beyond the limb.

• Like 1

Just now, Justanerd said:

The coronal hole opening right in front of it will significantly weaken the region if history is any indicator 🤷‍♂️

It's not even close to it lol

10 minutes ago, mozy said:

It's not even close to it lol

My bad - I could swear 195a view shows a coronal hole opening on this side of the limb literally right in front of the region that just flared 🤷‍♂️ 

in front of meaning west of

Edited by Justanerd
Define in front of

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Doesn't look like this particular region is visible in any of the farside imagery either, could be a new development.

Yep, checked the area in past imagery and the region looks to have developed at some point on the far-side.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Justanerd said:

The coronal hole opening right in front of it will significantly weaken the region if history is any indicator 🤷‍♂️

Was noticing that CH last night also @Justanerd

Anyway, it must be new as old 3590 was Northern Hemisphere at about 17-19 degrees. 

• Like 1

Seeing the aftermath with how the region still is looking after the flare makes me wonder if it actually wasn't a upper M-class afterall? Not sure if I can recall seeing a low grade M-flare with such post-eruption loops raining down like this before.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, mozy said:

Seeing the aftermath with how the region still is looking after the flare makes me wonder if it actually wasn't a upper M-class afterall? Not sure if I can recall seeing a low grade M-flare with such post-eruption loops raining down like this before.

Thoughts?

hm, im unsure. I trust your knowledge. :) :D I dont know how occulted the region is, but i remember a few years ago that the owners explained that once the loops are visible on the incoming limb, the measurements shouldnt be too occulted.

• Like 1

A c class from further behind the limb and a second m class from the original region - SUVI thematic shows two different areas of origin for the last 2 flares

post eruption looping still continues from the original m flare 😮

Am I seeing correctly some sympathetic activity between the flaring region on the southeastern limb and the CH right to the west of it? I swear I see ejecta from the SSW side of the CH beginning about 2155 UTC 

Edited by Justanerd
Looping activity
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Justanerd said:

I would be grateful if I see links to similar cases in history, statistics. I'm not sure that CH weakens AR, why not the other way around?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Open said:

Old 3590?

Presumably. Is the activity on further south on the limb a newly formed region?

Also, the old 3590 has now been named 3614.

Edited by TomyyB
New information
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 3:07 PM, Justanerd said:

A c class from further behind the limb and a second m class from the original region - SUVI thematic shows two different areas of origin for the last 2 flares

post eruption looping still continues from the original m flare 😮

Am I seeing correctly some sympathetic activity between the flaring region on the southeastern limb and the CH right to the west of it? I swear I see ejecta from the SSW side of the CH beginning about 2155 UTC 

Yes. Really unusual CH although I really don’t know that much about how much they might grow in size. This southern CH east limb seems to me to have grown.  We had one a couple years ago that “ ate” an AR I think and became named the “ Anemone “*.  Haha. @MinYoongi coined that perhaps. Anyway as far as I am aware they might produce a KP 5 stream or assist a good CME or disrupt a cme but y’all probably knew that if you lurked for awhile anyway. 😋Mike   * anemone is an aquatic thing that looked identical to the white AR that the CH “ate” no offence intended by this description to @MinYoongi btw. Unless it creeped her out, can’t remember now!  Haha 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Sea critter
  • Like 1

Hey everyone ^^
Been lurking here since November 2023 and thought I would finally join. Something seems to be moving into view behind 3615. Doesn't seem like it has done anything so far but still looks a lil interesting.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 193928.png

Edited by SamDieGurke
  • Like 4