AR 3575

tniickck
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

First LASCO imagery in already, definitely a big blast.

Protons rising now too, right on schedule. Seems like ≥50 MeV and ≥100 MeV didn't move that much before going back down, but maybe that'll change depending on the trajectories.

2 minutes ago, Justanerd said:

NASA is known for modeling the shockwave first - perhaps that is what this is 

so not earth directed?

6 minutes ago, tniickck said:

yep, but I guess it is too early 

@Jesterface23 it does not look that fast on Nasa enlil, crazy. how do you calculate the speed?

15 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

how do you calculate the speed?

Personally I grab an image from LASCO and use an online measurement tool to see roughly how many Solar diameters it's traveled, like so:

download-18.png

Then I note the launch time, which seems to have been ~13:05, which means 1 hour and 13 minutes has elapsed since then in the above image. Divide distance by speed, and voilà, a rough estimate.

That comes out to ~2160 km/s now, so the first estimate of 2900 km/s was probably a bit over the top, I just used the given value of 15 Solar radii per hour for that. It's hard to tell exactly though, could be higher too, but it's almost certainly at least over 2000 km/s in any case.

Edited by Philalethes
grammar
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

@Jesterface23 it does not look that fast on Nasa enlil, crazy. how do you calculate the speed?

15 Rsun in km is ~700km * 15. It traveled that distance in about 1 hour, so divide by 60 twice to get km/s.

There isn't really even a shock in coronagraph imagery to give us any chance at an arrival at L1. The CME looks fairly small, similar to the July 23rd, 2012 CME.

Edited by Jesterface23

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

There isn't really even a shock in coronagraph imagery to give us any chance at an arrival at L1

I thought so since the region rotated off 1-2 days ago. so the nasa enlil is true to trajectory?