AR 3575

tniickck
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

1 minute ago, tniickck said:

i dont see🤔 where? 

Check my link that I edited into the comment

I don't know if I'm exaggerating but I think that's the most impressive CME I've seen on SUVI this solar cycle so far.

It looks so fast lol

6 minutes ago, mozy said:

Oh lol, well check SUVI yourself then I guess 

Thanks for the video, much better quality than suvi. :D  I dont know if it was 3575,  was it that much south? Altough its the most likely candidate (that we know of)

how fast is "extremely fast" 

appromaxely?

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Thanks for the video, much better quality than suvi. :D  I dont know if it was 3575,  was it that much south? Altough its the most likely candidate (that we know of)

appromaxely?

you can see the filament flying away on insane speed, never seen this before

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

appromaxely?

No idea, not my strongest point

and we getting type iv emission from the farside. must be the second carrington event

incoming proton event

50 and 100 mev are jumping right now

Edited by tniickck
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, tniickck said:

and we getting type iv emission from the farside. must be the second carrington event

incoming proton event

50 and 100 mev are jumping right now

I remember we had an S1 storm from the. Farside 2023 or 2022 that’s pretty rare right?

30 minutes ago, mozy said:

No idea, not my strongest point

lol same

Why is 10mev not moving @tniickck ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I remember we had an S1 storm from the. Farside 2023 or 2022 that’s pretty rare right?

13 March 2023 and 16 or 17 July 2023, exactly. Proton events from farside happen only when really strong flares and CMEs occur

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tniickck said:

13 March 2023 and 16 or 17 July 2023, exactly. Proton events from farside happen only when really strong flares and CMEs occur

Thank you for reminding me about the correct date, it’s nice to know I’m somewhat remembering it right! :) 

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

appromaxely?

Assuming a mostly transverse component, I'm estimating ~13 Solar diameters in 2 hours 50 minutes from C3 imagery, which would be ~1800 km/s.

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

by my calculations the ejecta passed about 1.4 Sr in 12 minutes. This corresponds to the speed about 2700 km/s

I think it's better to use longer time periods, because even small variations in time on those small scales can cause a big difference in the outcome.

The proton response seems to be very strong though, significantly stronger than the X3.3 so far judging by the ≥100 MeV ones.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I think it's better to use longer time periods, because even small variations in time on those small scales can cause a big difference in the outcome.

Got it. thanks! 

S2 from the farside. i have never seen this before

• Cool 1

17 minutes ago, tniickck said:

Got it. thanks! 

For what it's worth I also just measured the distance taken on C2 between 06:36Z and 06:48Z, which is maybe what you did too, and I also get a total of 1.4 Solar diameters in that time (rather than radii, I'm assuming you also meant diameters) for the same speed as you did, ~2700 km/s.

I'm not sure why it seems to be moving that fast when measured that early though. Maybe it's because the first light we see at 06:36Z is from the sheath moving sideways out from the eruption and thus misleading.

If I instead use the center of the ellipse representing the shock around the apex of the flux rope itself (the "smoke ring" you see in many "clean" CMEs) at 06:48, and I take the time of the eruption of the flux rope itself as seen on SUVI at around 06:27, I get ~1.63 Solar diameters in ~21 minutes, corresponding to ~1800 km/s again. Since that checks out with the current C3 estimate I'd think that would be a better way to estimate from early imagery.

That's of course still assuming there's no angle to it, but since we're now ~3-4 days past it rotating out of view there should be some, so the true speed is probably a bit faster than this too. Actually, we can probably use the ellipse to get an idea of this angle as well, at least making a simplistic assumption that it's a rotated circle (which it probably isn't); that way we can simply take the inverse sine of the semi-minor axis divided by the semi-major axis, which I measure at approximately 0.33 and 1 respectively in the 06:48Z image, for an angle of ~20°.  Taking the cosine of this we see that we'd be seeing ~94.3% of the true speed from our perspective, so dividing the estimate of ~1800 km/s by that we get ~1900 km/s instead.

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

S2 from the farside. i have never seen this before

Yeah, this proton event was pretty huge; I've never seen the ≥100 MeV protons reach 1 pfu either.

• Like 2