AR 3575

tniickck
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

6 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I was trying earlier to find the email of the lead author of the study that estimated X-flare strength from STEREO-A EUVI imagery, and I came across some details where the Halo CME Twitter/X account was listed as their personal website, so I guess that makes me take such a claim more seriously, heh; but in this case it wasn't even fully visible from SA it seems like, and I doubt their statement is based on any such analysis anyway. X10 definitely sounds too high to me as well, but then again I would guess they have a fair bit of experience looking at things based on their published work as a Solar physicist (not just that paper, but a lot of others too).

HaloCME is a researcher/ Heliophysicist! :) I recommend following him. I think he's from japan.

If only we had a satellite like GOES in orbit around Venus; doesn't sound like a bad idea in general if you ask me.

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

HaloCME is a researcher/ Heliophysicist! :) I recommend following him. I think he's from japan.

Yeah, as I mentioned in my comment I stumbled on the connection when I was looking for their email. I'm not going to explicitly name them here, but I guess anyone curious enough can look it up themselves; I'm fairly certain they themselves had listed the account as theirs anyway, so I don't think they're really trying to be anonymous.

Edited by Philalethes
typo

49 minutes ago, tniickck said:

no way😃

Russian media are already full of shitty news about strong geomagnetic storms from that flare😁

i saw someone going hysterical about that coronal hole that was visible on the sun in the end of november-start of december last year.. thought we're all gonna die.. people make mistakes sometimes 😆 i doubt the CME from this flare will affect earth at any slightest

Just now, willow said:

i saw someone going hysterical about that coronal hole that was visible on the sun in the end of november-start of december last year.. thought we're all gonna die.. people make mistakes sometimes 😆 i doubt the CME from this flare will affect earth at any slightest

this was absolutely same in Russian social networks especially Tiktok and people said that the sun cracked and it will be a disaster😃 somebody said "Don't learn physics and the whole world will be filled with miracles"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

do you think the region will return? :) 

I meant to reply to you earlier,  sorry. The larger regions seem to do just this on occasion.  Mcmath 11976 four times at least.  In 1972 of course. I wouldn’t bet on it, the odds are against it, but it can and does happen. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

how high will it likely rise?

I'm fairly sure we'll hit S2 at least, unless it immediately flatlines and drop, but that's not typical so soon after such an explosive event from what I've seen. Doubtful we'll reach S3, but maybe.

4 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I'm fairly sure we'll hit S2 at least, unless it immediately flatlines and drop, but that's not typical so soon after such an explosive event from what I've seen. Doubtful we'll reach S3, but maybe.

The limb of disappointment strikes again. I’m so so so disappointed right now. I knew it was gonna wait until the limb.

okay I was not meant to quote you, im on my phone so sorry about that haha.

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, arjemma said:

The limb of disappointment strikes again. I’m so so so disappointed right now. I knew it was gonna wait until the limb.

okay I was not meant to quote you, im on my phone so sorry about that haha.

Sounds like you've reached at least a D4 on the disappointment scale.

• Haha 2

Haha, this whole mess is funny, I saw the alerts this morning and thought, finally, a solid and strong flare from center disk.  I couldn’t help but laugh when it turned out to be from a sunspot that had already rotated around the limb because, of course it was.  I’m still optimistic that 3576 is gonna blow, it’s got that look.  

• Like 2