The return of a banger: AR2992

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Fun fact: The X-Class Flare did not produce a CME :) 

Is that a bad thing?

13 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

a geomagnetic storm can cause ground currents where grid operators have taken precautions to prevent outages. 

I am sorry for the all the questions, but is a geomagnetic storm a bad thing then?

13 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

give our help section a read, it contains a lot of space weather basics 😉

Ok, I will see where that is. Thanks!

27 minuten geleden, SunspotRager93 zei:

I am sorry for the all the questions, but is a geomagnetic storm a bad thing then?

No, for people on Earth space weather isn’t causing anything bad! Space weather is important for satellite operators, grid operators, HF-radio communications, … and of course Aurora enthousiasts 😉

look at space weather as a nice thing, great imagery of solar flares on the Sun and magnificent Aurora on high latitude locations 🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

And also- I think you're wrong. 

Oh my bad. Also I have a question. How have you already seen 5 X classes, when they are rare to see?

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

No, for people on Earth space weather isn’t causing anything bad!

Dang then I have been lied to haha. Oh well I really don't believe it, I was just making sure it doesn't do anything bad. But can't sunspot max or solar max (whatever it is called by) cause something bad because it has lots and lots of solar flares everyday?

1 hour ago, SunspotRager93 said:

How have you already seen 5 X classes, when they are rare to see?

Actually the past 4 I have seen in one month and the 5th one is this month. I don't know... I just get lucky i guess... and if you watch, you will see 1 or 2 or 3 or- ok you get the point lol. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yep! Looks eruptive. Not relevant for us, but still pretty.

Yeah, it was a bit long duration and we got a Type IV radio burst, which often come from the larger and more powerful CMEs (type II is more common)

• Like 1

• Sam Warfel changed the title to The return of a banger: AR2992
3 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Yeah, it was a bit long duration and we got a Type IV radio burst, which often come from the larger and more powerful CMEs (type II is more common)

The Type IV Burst was just popping up on my Twitter! The C-Flare released that too. I'm wondering if it was eruptive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Oh right! They did launch a new GOES just recently in fact?

Yes, but it doesn’t appear to have any space weather instrumentation other than maybe a solar particle event sensor. Otherwise, it’s all focused on terrestrial weather. 

8 uren geleden, SunspotRager93 zei:

But can't sunspot max or solar max (whatever it is called by) cause something bad because it has lots and lots of solar flares everyday?

No! At least not for us humans that are living their lives on Earth unless you live in space.

1 uur terug, MinYoongi zei:

So am I right when saying we still cant tell the magnetic layout?

it needs to be more than 10° away from the limb on the visible side to be able to see the magnetic complexity of a sunspot region 

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

Not enough to be sure of anything other than it’s not a simple alpha, which we already knew because of the flares. 

if it is possible for a spotless plage to produce an M flare, it might be possible for an alpha to produce an X flare xd

Maybe interesting for some of you, but take it with a grain of salt since i dont know whos behind solen.info exactly, here :

"S7539 [S29E79] continued to rotate into view. The region has polarity intermixing, however, it is uncertain if it is the source of recent M and X flares, or if there is another region trailing it.The C2 flare at 21:11 may have been associated with a CME, however, analysis of this awaits the availability of relevant LASCO imagery."

But its still very early, as @Vancanneyt Sander already mentioned. I just think its interesting to think about the "main cause" for the M-X Events being a trailing region.

1 uur terug, MinYoongi zei:

Maybe interesting for some of you, but take it with a grain of salt since i dont know whos behind solen.info exactly, here :

"S7539 [S29E79] continued to rotate into view. The region has polarity intermixing, however, it is uncertain if it is the source of recent M and X flares, or if there is another region trailing it.The C2 flare at 21:11 may have been associated with a CME, however, analysis of this awaits the availability of relevant LASCO imagery."

But its still very early, as @Vancanneyt Sander already mentioned. I just think its interesting to think about the "main cause" for the M-X Events being a trailing region.(2) (PDF) A Formula for the Start of a New Sunspot Cycle(2) (PDF) A Formula for the Start of a New Sunspot Cycle

Jan Alvestad published this article with me in Astrophysics and Space Science

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/342766380_A_Formula_for_the_Start_of_a_New_Sunspot_Cycle