The return of a banger: AR2992

10 minutes ago, mozy said:

Number 2, looks way more impressive.

X-class perhaps?

Edit: Yes indeed, X-class! 😎

e640c44d55e6be0bb4a0aa277e57e3ce.png

Is this SDO

By the way, can we already see most of the spots (like i posted) or are some hidden? Is the real flare higher or is the reading authentic?

Just now, abc said:

very impulsive flare again -.-

May i ask whats bad about impulsive flares? You mean because longer = better cmes? ☺️

2 minutes ago, abc said:

very impulsive flare again -.-

I mean I'll take it, the region has been fairly quiet, I ain't saying no to an X-class, Impulsive or not :P

And it doesn't really matter since It's a limb flare anyways.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

By the way, can we already see most of the spots (like i posted) or are some hidden? Is the real flare higher or is the reading authentic?

Most of it should be visible, just that we can't see it's configuration yet, don't think it was higher than what the readings show.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mozy said:

Most of it should be visible, just that we can't see it's configuration yet, don't think it was higher than what the readings show.

Thank you. The sunspots dont look that big so im actually a lot impressed.. 

8 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Region's still got it.

How can you tell if it's impulsive?

Very quick rise and drop.

1 minute ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Oh I was just surprised by an X class. That’s all

Oh yeah, i just mentioned being surprised too! Thought the spots looked whimsy. Also alot of alledged faculae + Not much activity the last couple days.

Is it climbing down slower now? Semi LDE? 😂🤔

The X-class isn’t actually as impulsive as it seemed, the decay slowed down a lot partway down. It’s not long-duration, but it’s not as incredibly impulsive as the X2 last time. 
It doesn’t look like the flare was eclipsed, X1.13 is probably very very close to the full power if not it exactly. 

I had said this region had probably calmed down since observing less farside CMEs, but it sure seems to still have some power!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

It doesn’t look like the flare was eclipsed, X1.13 is probably very very close to the full power if not it exactly. 

I had said this region had probably calmed down since observing less farside CMEs, but it sure seems to still have some power!

Thank you for clarifying! I was just wondering because noaa said "beyond the SE limb, will turn into view in 1-2 days." But maybe they just mean the already visible region that will be not foreshortened in 1-2 days anymore? Or there is more to come? Im not too sure but the farside map shows something big and dark still on the farside.. but we already figured theyre not always on point? http://jsoc.stanford.edu/data/farside/ (I attached the tweet and the map) 

1 hour ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

Hi all

I didn't trust to interrupt this thread with a new one (AR3006) or so but the appearing region
looks very interesting - and now the X-flare as well (of course limb sided again);

22-05-03-1-limb.jpg.1268f54580520e496973d1c9e8f0a566.jpg

Regards, Chris

May I ask what exactly looks interesting? Its my first Solar Cycle Observing and to me the spots looked boring before the X1 Flare cuz i thought they were small and not very dark/big (e.g intense) ☺️

2 hours ago, farm24 said:

looks like this is going to be one heck of a spot unless it pulls a 2932

Damn wich one was 2932 again? Can you help me remember what it did?:D

Edited by MinYoongi

33 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

No but they do cause Radio blackout

And that only on the daylit side of the Earth and polar regions.

35 minuten geleden, SunspotRager93 zei:

Like do they cause power outages, EMP's, etc...?

seems you still have to learn a lot about space weather ;) solar flares don’t cause any of what you say. Solar flares can cause radio blackouts on the daylit side and polar regions, radio sweeps and a potential CME. A CME can cause a geomagnetic storm, a geomagnetic storm can cause ground currents where grid operators have taken precautions to prevent outages. 

give our help section a read, it contains a lot of space weather basics 😉

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

And that only on the daylit side of the Earth and polar regions.

Oh-true

57 minutes ago, SunspotRager93 said:

So from seeing the archives it seems like once there is an X class, another will keep happening no matter what. Unless I am wrong.

And also- I think you're wrong.