The return of a banger: AR2992

6 hours ago, Calder said:

Its brightness does look interesting on STEREO and it has been flaring a bit, but the lack of CMEs in the last 48 hours has me thinking that it has lost some of its complexity. Only time will tell.

FFFD25F2-CB04-45E4-9CB6-1E0056AF8567.jpeg

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

Yeah, it’s calmed down the CMEs unfortunately 

Yeah, it is bright! But Orneno and You are right. 

Im just confused that it's growing very rapidly (1000+ strength in like a day) but calming down and also not being on the GONG + Stereo Maps anymore. Maybe thats due to its close limb proximity? I'll edit this and attach some pictures in a short while.

28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yeah, it is bright! But Orneno and You are right. 

Im just confused that it's growing very rapidly (1000+ strength in like a day) but calming down and also not being on the GONG + Stereo Maps anymore. Maybe thats due to its close limb proximity? I'll edit this and attach some pictures in a short while.

I'll never trust these farside images 😅

On another note, we got 2 fast growing regions near center disk, might wanna start a new thread for them soon.

6 minutes ago, mozy said:

I'll never trust these farside images 😅

On another note, we got 2 fast growing regions near center disk, might wanna start a new thread for them soon.

May i ask why? 

Yep! Saw that. But i think for them its almost like a week until we see them on the limb/stereo so i'll wait 1-2 more days to see if they persist.

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

May i ask why? 

They usually always look way bigger & better than what they actually are, just giving false hopes to people :P

I assume It'll be the same for this region as it's super quiet. (watch activity start picking up shortly after I say this;))

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

To add to what @Orneno said, AR2992 fired off an X2.25 which is currently the most powerful solar flare of SC25. Which is the cycle we are in, as you may know

Oh that's cool! Does the number of the solar cycle mean how many we have gone through or how many years it could last? 

On 5/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, Orneno said:

Also, welcome to the website!

Thank you! People seem kind here already!

Another question... Is it a guess or do we have something on the back side of the sun that tells you this is Ar 2992?

Just now, LunarLights58 said:

What did 12992 do last time?

X2.25.

1 minute ago, SunspotRager93 said:

Does the number of the solar cycle mean how many we have gone through or how many years it could last? 

The number of the solar cycle just means how many cycles have happened so far. 

28 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

The number of the solar cycle just means how many cycles have happened so far. 

Since humans started counting them, that is.  The sun's probably been doing it since before the Earth formed.

30 minutes ago, SunspotRager93 said:

Another question... Is it a guess or do we have something on the back side of the sun that tells you this is Ar 2992?

We know exactly when it rotated around the west limb, and we know exactly how long it will take to re-appear at the east limb, if it survived, and we know exactly how far north/south it was.  Because we can see something bright is flaring just behind the east limb (and also can see it on the rudimentary helio-seismology images), and we know that's about where 2992 should be, and there were no other regions close to 2992, it's a pretty safe guess that this region is 2992 returning. Because 2992 fired off some powerful flares right as it was going over the west limb, it's a pretty safe bet that it is the source of the farside CMEs and flares we have just been able to glimpse over the limb.
It's technically possible 2992 could have decayed away to nothing, and a new but also complex and active spot appeared in almost the exact same spot during the area's trip around the backside of the sun, but this is highly unlikely.  That would be fast for spots to decay and grow, especially a complex and active one like 2992 was and this incoming region appears to be.

But no, we do not have any direct observation of the farside of the sun.  STEREO A is a little bit ahead of Earth in Earth's orbit, with it we can see a little ways behind the east limb of the Earth-facing disk.  The region in question, 2992 returning, is actually visible on STEREO A already.  Unfortunately, it only has two wavelengths of imagery, and we can't actually see the sunspot or gauge its complexity, nor measure flares.  So, not very helpful.

You may see some "farside imagery", that uses "helio-seismology", the practice of measuring the vibrations in the sun that are caused by large active sunspot groups.  This gives us a hint at farside imagery, at least the large active sunspots, but it is rudimentary and not very reliable.

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Now, now... don't give it any ideas 🤣

It's flaring currently :)  Is it greatly occulted or is it semi-accurately picked up by goes? Does anyone know that? It looks impressive in Suvi/SDO @mozy ! But i dont know if its really a sign of regrowth or anything. What do you guys think?

14 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

It's flaring currently :)  Is it greatly occulted or is it semi-accurately picked up by goes? Does anyone know that? It looks impressive in Suvi/SDO @mozy

Impressive is probably the last word I would use for that flare, more like passing gas.

Nevertheless, always a good sign to see something rather than it being constantly quiet.

Edited by mozy
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mozy said:

Impressive is probably the last word I would use for that flare, more like passing gas.

Nevertheless, always a good sign to see something rather than it being constantly quiet.

Ah shoot, i thought based on imagery that its maybe greatly occulted, because the loops looked beautiful.

45 minutes ago, SunspotRager93 said:

I’m sorry for all the questions… but have we ever had any direct farside observation?. If so, why don’t we use it? 

We have not, so far it’s been too expensive for people to want to put a spacecraft at L3, especially since we’d need one at L4 or L5 to communicate. 

26 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Wasn’t STEREO B a direct farside imagery?

I know I have been asking question after question and I am sorry, but what is stereo b?

29 minutes ago, Orneno said:

We have not, so far it’s been too expensive for people to want to put a spacecraft at L3, especially since we’d need one at L4 or L5 to communicate. 

Oooh that makes sense. 

9 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Maybe this is just me, but this is getting off topic. 

Not much else to talk about anyways as we're still waiting for the region to rotate into view, I don't mind seeing conversations rather than it being all dead.

Also It's been like 2 questions and you're starting to say It's getting off topic😕

Would understand if It's been going on for 2+ pages.

• Like 2

Just now, mozy said:

Not much else to talk about anyways as we're still waiting for the region to rotate into view, I don't mind seeing conversations rather than it being all dead.

Also It's been like 2 questions and you're starting to say It's getting off topic😕

Would understand if It's been going on for 2+ pages.

Ok true lol. For some reason I thought there was more than as many questions that have been asked 🤣

I guess we can just kill time by answering questions bc there is nothing much else to do lol

Well now that has been said... I will be glad to continue to ask questions as much as i can @SunspotRager93

Anyways 

21 minutes ago, SunspotRager93 said:

but what is stereo b?

STEREO B was a satellite on the farside if I am not mistaken 

• Cool 1

5 minutes ago, SunspotRager93 said:

I'm sorry if this is getting off topic, I am just new here and want to know. 😁

No its fine! That was my fault, please it's fine.

6 minutes ago, SunspotRager93 said:

What was it for?

Well Stereo B took pictures of the farside and Stereo A which is still around, takes pictures of the earth facing side of the sun. So put the two together... and you had a full field of view of the sun. 

2 hours ago, mozy said:

0982dc748005ec436df4fbab18cc1adc.png

can we tell from SDO imagery? Or does it make those regions appear better than they are like EUVI?

8d1ca72ee2de04ef4f044fccdddc740f.png

is this the first little sunspot? Does it look like a delta ? (in front of the maybe bigger spots?)

f0c808373a882b3870ccaf5914545f02.png

or is it just plage?

ea7094d4094fdb84fd872733cc846d72.png

to me it looks like 2 little sunspots with a "big" sunspot (very close to the limb)..