AR2993/2994: X flare!

For example, here is the next most recent M-flare (16th at 14-52-15 UT).  You can see the bright spot that is the flare, and the dark cores of the large sunspots, showing it's from right between them.

Solar flares do not emit much in this wavelength, that's why it's so dim compared to the other images (Also only strong flares, M-class or higher, are visible here).  This is handy because it doesn't blow it out into a giant white blur, and this is also the only wavelength that shows both the sunspots and the flares at once.
Otherwise, you'd have to mess with overlaying several wavelengths and the visible light one to find the exact location.

image.png.6412a4d52e0d5a2594f12f31e454e3a3.png

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I never really watched the AIA channel that u mentioned. I mostly stick to Suvi as its updating faster. 

I like the more wavelength options offered by SDO's AIA, and the easier last 48 hour vids.

And there goes another one, M3 this time!

3 minutes ago, Orneno said:

For example, here is the next most recent M-flare (16th at 14-52-15 UT).  You can see the bright spot that is the flare, and the dark cores of the large sunspots, showing it's from right between them.

Solar flares do not emit much in this wavelength, that's why it's so dim compared to the other images (Also only strong flares, M-class or higher, are visible here).  This is handy because it doesn't blow it out into a giant white blur, and this is also the only wavelength that shows both the sunspots and the flares at once.
Otherwise, you'd have to mess with overlaying several wavelengths and the visible light one to find the exact location.

image.png.6412a4d52e0d5a2594f12f31e454e3a3.png

I like the more wavelength options offered by SDO's AIA, and the easier last 48 hour vids.

This is great to know! Thank you so much! Also another M flare rn. Hope to read soon from you if it came from the same spot again:)

Looks like the southern of the two large spots this time.
From what I've seen, that one seems to be a bit more active than the northern one.

image.png.86f0a78180b5f0e7ab34e0c49c232785.png

Just now, Orneno said:

In like 5 mins we should have AIA 1600 imagery to confirm it

X class!

X1.5 so far

• Thanks 2
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

From what I've seen, that one seems to be a bit more active than the northern one.

image.png.86f0a78180b5f0e7ab34e0c49c232785.png

In like 5 mins we should have AIA 1600 imagery to confirm it

X class!

Keep us updated! I thought its only a beta class. The northern one looked more active today

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

¡Mantennos informados! Pensé que solo era una clase beta. El norteño lució hoy más activo

it's a beta-gamma-delta really although I don't know if it's confirmed correctly since it's missing, but x5 are possible with his delta points I think

• Sam Warfel changed the title to AR2993/2994: X flare!
Just now, Orneno said:

I know the AIA 304 imagery is really cool right now, you can see the ejected plasma

Im soo excited for the 48h video

Just now, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Oof I’m not shaking like when I saw the first x class.  Oh that’s sad

Why sad?

Just now, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Oof I’m not shaking like when I saw the first x class.  Oh that’s sad

You're just getting used to it, we'll have a lot more X classes this SC!
I'm not quite as excited as the last one because it's right on the limb, not really geoeffective.

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

You're just getting used to it, we'll have a lot more X classes this SC!
I'm not quite as excited as the last one because it's right on the limb, not really geoeffective.

It’s not as exciting as when you see your first X class. I’m like right now “oh cool An X class” I mean I’m excited asf just not shaking and so that other crap 😂 

• Like 1