AR3615

Wolf star
Go to solution Solved by Davbit,

59 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

huh?

im confused. :D  Might have to wait for more imagery to get the double flare.

Look at SUVI thematic - it shows two different positions in ar3615 flaring 

Actually looking at it on 131a the first stage is a loop triggering a second stage that triggers the actual flare 😮

Edited by Justanerd
Clarification
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

is there really a relation?

From what I've been observing there's a good chance their relationship has strong influence in their behavior. Ofcourse there is a good chunk of other important contributing factors that ultimately determine their evolution.

7 minutes ago, tniickck said:

no

to anyone who is interested: I am alive and well after the incident in Moscow

I'm also glad to know you are well ❤️‍🩹

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mozy said:

New flare ongoing, finally the region is waking up

came here to say this. very quick m1

complexity wise it looks unchanged if not a bit less complex than a few hours ago. what do you say @mozy ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tniickck said:

no

to anyone who is interested: I am alive and well after the incident in Moscow

Good to hear you're well :)

When you have the chance, would you be able to explain why you say they don't?

When I look at the surface up close (304aia) during the eruptions from yesterday and today, there's flocculi that light up and connect the two regions. 

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

came here to say this. very quick m1

complexity wise it looks unchanged if not a bit less complex than a few hours ago. what do you say @mozy ?

I'd say it's looking even better now, still gaining spots. My hopes are high.

6 minutes ago, mozy said:

I'd say it's looking even better now, still gaining spots. My hopes are high.

I compared imagery from the last ~6ish hours and did not notice a lot of change, but maybe I focused too much on the delta and not the region as a whole?

Edited by MinYoongi
Typo

Two successive flares, were they impulsive like they always do to frustrate us when they are in the earth facing disk? If anyone could point to resource on how its identified as impulsive or eruptive, would appreciate it. I know looking at LASCO, CME, if any is detected and confirmed. But, have seen experts here comment on it much earlier. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, RajSim said:

If anyone could point to resource on how its identified as impulsive or eruptive, would appreciate it. I know looking at LASCO, CME, if any is detected and confirmed. But, have seen experts here comment on it much earlier. Thanks. 

Often you can tell from the flux signature alone; if the flux drops back down almost as quickly as it went up, it will tend to be impulsive, whereas if it drops much more slowly it will tend to be eruptive. It's not always the case though, and sometimes the downward slope is more intermediate, so one should definitely take a closer look at the situation before making any pronouncements. In the UV imagery you can also typically get clues, as for eruptive flares you will tend to see material visibly move in various wavelengths, with coronal waves and coronal dimming being particularly prominent in the 195 Å imagery, whereas impulsive flares will mostly just be bright flashing without much or any sign of movement at all.

But of course, even when there's something that looks like a good eruption from UV imagery we all wait with bated breath for the LASCO imagery to confirm.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Often you can tell from the flux signature alone; if the flux drops back down almost as quickly as it went up, it will tend to be impulsive, whereas if it drops much more slowly it will tend to be eruptive. It's not always the case though, and sometimes the downward slope is more intermediate, so one should definitely take a closer look at the situation before making any pronouncements. In the UV imagery you can also typically get clues, as for eruptive flares you will tend to see material visibly move in various wavelengths, with coronal waves and coronal dimming being particularly prominent in the 195 Å imagery, whereas impulsive flares will mostly just be bright flashing without much or any sign of movement at all.

But of course, even when there's something that looks like a good eruption from UV imagery we all wait with bated breath for the LASCO imagery to confirm.

Thanks a ton!