Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, David Silver said:

Hope many get to see aurora tonight. Raining here in the Northeast US. Is this now the strongest storm of this cycle?

I was about to say that it at least looks like the Dst keeps dropping, but I just looked at the index provided by the World Data Center for Geomagnetism in Kyoto, the "original" Dst index, and the last measurement provided there is "only" -116; I'm not quite sure what source SWL is using, or how they're arriving at their current and predicted number.

21 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The EPAM will be something to watch if ACE can stay up. Not for certain, but it may drop once the flux rope hits.

well 82 density is giving ace...  the solar wind 880 km per second?

Edited by Isatsuki San

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

ACE está teniendo problemas de datos una vez al día y DSCOVR está teniendo problemas con la copa de Faraday. SOHO actualiza tal vez una vez por hora, pero puede ser lo mejor que tenemos en este momento,

ultimo2dia.png

So if there is 800 of solar wind per second?

29 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

SOHO just updated to just below 750km/s, so there certainly was a shift in the sheath

I see normal updates on SWPC data, are you having issues?

11 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

In Hamburg (Germany), the clouds have given me respite to see a small aurora and after 5 minutes it was completely cloudy

Schön zu hören! In NRW nichts, zu viel lichtverschmutzung. / Nice to hear 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

So if there is 800 of solar wind per second?

SOHO peaked at around 750km/s. The density has the biggest difference between all of the satellites, but that has dropped. It's an awesome event so far and even back to G3 as I type this. You have nothing to worry about from this CME.

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I see normal updates on SWPC data, are you having issues?

Every parameter for ACE is having issues, but is giving some rough values at least. The magnetometer on DSCOVR is fine

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

SOHO peaked at around 750km/s. The density has the biggest difference between all of the satellites, but that has dropped. It's an awesome event so far and even back to G3 as I type this. You have nothing to worry about from this CME.

Every parameter for ACE is having issues, but is giving some rough values at least. The magnetometer on DSCOVR is fine

DSCOVR sadly often has issues when a CME hits. ACE is very old. 😕 

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

DSCOVR sadly often has issues when a CME hits. ACE is very old. 😕

Someone should pitch to Elon Musk that it'd be highly beneficial to his endeavors to fund improved satellite coverage of space weather; maybe that'd get some capital converted into a shiny new satellite with more reliable coverage and bleeding-edge equipment.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

31 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

In Hamburg (Germany), the clouds have given me respite to see a small aurora and after 5 minutes it was completely cloudy

I was able to see a glimpse of it here in Cologne right overhead too. Sadly only for a short duration due to the clouds moving in.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Descuide, DSCOVR a menudo tiene problemas cuando aparece un CME . ACE es muy antiguo.😕 

Sometimes I wish I was a millionaire to improve that satellite and even better defenses against geomagnetic storms with the electrical industry. 

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

No, we just happened to reach G4 again somehow

very well, the bz continues north anyway, how did the geomagnetic storm kp8 arrive?

2 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

ACE is having it's about once a day data issues and DSCOVR is having faraday cup issues. SOHO updates maybe once an hour, but may be the best we have right now,

latest2day.png

It seems the epam is slowly going down, are we close to that trail now?Monitor de electrones, protones y alfa (EPAM)

24 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

It seems the epam is slowly going down, are we close to that trail now?

Mainly watching the red 47-68keV line and it is dropping slightly.

There still may be another day of activity when the flux rope arrives. The signs of the arrival will be the temperature and density drop. The only reliable satellite right now is SOHO though, then maybe using ACE's glitchy data to help confirm when it happens.

The Bz doing some serious gymnastics right now.

Well I'll be damned; as I was looking for signs of the aurora in the distance I saw what I at first thought were just some oddly lit clouds, but as I kept looking there was a definite green glow, and then the ribbons became quite apparent. Not bad.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1