CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Given they asked if we are in the flux rope a few minutes prior, should be enough info to figure the rest out

1 minute ago, mozy said:

Haha I was just about to comment that 😅

So not reliable ?

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

They aren't, that's the point

I talked to Sam/Orneno and he said the -30 is G5 territory, space weather watch on twitter is saying this storm will rival storms from the last years.. I’m a bit startled 

12 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I talked to Sam/Orneno and he said the -30 is G5 territory, space weather watch on twitter is saying this storm will rival storms from the last years.. I’m a bit startled 

We'll find out, the event certainly seems unprecedented for making the most out of what its got. So far the max is Kp8o, will still need to get past Kp8+ and Kp9- before we reach Kp9/G5

Edited by Jesterface23

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

We'll find out, the event certainly seems unprecedented for making the most out of what it's got. So far the max is Kp8o, will still need to get past Kp8+ and Kp9- before we reach Kp9/G5

But nothing will happen right?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I won't be surprised if we reach G4 again. I'll go with that

Ty for the assessment. I read that the CME flux rope is likely swn type, are you familiar with that? 

8 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I won't be surprised if we reach G4 again. I'll go with that

And I meant to power grids etc

19 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

And I meant to power grids etc

Ah, that will be fine. The threat for that will likely only be for CMEs that reach sub 20 hour travel times. The 2003 Halloween storms were both under 20 hours travel time and I think things turned out mostly well.

Well, I just woke up and I see the center came wow...

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Hablé con Sam/Orneno y dijo que el -30 es territorio G5, el reloj del clima espacial en Twitter dice que esta tormenta rivalizará con las tormentas de los últimos años... Estoy un poco sorprendido 

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/es/archivo/2015/06/22/aurora.html 

left this 2015 record that hardly rivals this storm

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

And the flux rope brings us back to G4. If only there weren't trees to the north of our houses or the weekend is coming to an end.

Many great pictures on social media though ..

That may not be the same as seeing it yourself but it may cheer you up ❤️

• Like 2
  • Cool 1