Jump to content

Unspecified geomagnetic activity


Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Mainly watching the red 47-68keV line and it is dropping slightly.

There still may be another day of activity when the flux rope arrives. The signs of the arrival will be the temperature and density drop. The only reliable satellite right now is SOHO though, then maybe using ACE's glitchy data to help confirm when it happens.

Dscovr and ace data when it comes to BZ is solid. The speed etc could be funky 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

How can we know? I tried finding stuff about flux ropes but it’s very complicated. You said something about density and Temperature ? What else?

The IMF parameters not being as jagged and the parameters should rotate over time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mozy said:

Possible to reach G5 with these conditions?

I don't think so. The G5 limit is about 1.5x G4.

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Rotate to what 

The Bx, By, and Bz components will all gradually change over its duration rather than random quick changes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I don't think so. The G5 limit is about 1.5x G4.

The Bx, By, and Bz components will all gradually change over its duration rather than random quick changes.

That makes sense. Do you think this is a long flux rope? 

Also is the flux rope the core of the CME? Is it the same ? I see people talking about the core and a flux rope and wonder if it’s the same 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It is possibly it will go into the 25th. There was a weaker looking CH, so it may just degrade and transition into that at some point before then.

But I mean the strongest part of the CME, does it Level off over time or not 

Oh and thanks for the info about th ch, gotta be honest as the solar cycle progresses I don’t pay attention to them anymore 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

The flux rope Bt can do just about anything. A gradual decline, level then a gradual decline, or a gradual rise and fall.

Okay, I’m getting more and more confused 😂 sometimes cmes sweep through in no time especially faster ones, so I thought this may be one of them but it’s more of a direct hit so more plasma thus taking longer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Okay, I’m getting more and more confused 😂 sometimes cmes sweep through in no time especially faster ones, so I thought this may be one of them but it’s more of a direct hit so more plasma thus taking longer?

Overall, yes a longer lasting CME

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Okay, I’m getting more and more confused 😂 sometimes cmes sweep through in no time especially faster ones, so I thought this may be one of them but it’s more of a direct hit so more plasma thus taking longer?

It can vary quite a bit, depending on how it hits. Try thinking of it more or less like a cylindrical tube coming at us; if the middle of the tube hits us, then the entire diameter of the tube will move across us, but if only the edge of the tube hits us, then only a small part of that interior will hit us (instead of the diameter, it will be a chord in geometrical terms). On top of that there's also a lot of variation in how wide the tube is when it hits us and how fast it's moving; as per this paper, the radial dimension of the interior of the tube can vary from 0.1 to 0.5 au (and I'm not sure if that is considering the fact that the tube in reality isn't straight, but bent), and the speed of it is 300 to 1000 km/s (most of the time, I assume).

This is needless to say simplifying it a lot, but maybe that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

It can vary quite a bit, depending on how it hits. Try thinking of it more or less like a cylindrical tube coming at us; if the middle of the tube hits us, then the entire diameter of the tube will move across us, but if only the edge of the tube hits us, then only a small part of that interior will hit us (instead of the diameter, it will be a chord in geometrical terms). On top of that there's also a lot of variation in how wide the tube is when it hits us and how fast it's moving; as per this paper, the radial dimension of the interior of the tube can vary from 0.1 to 0.5 au (and I'm not sure if that is considering the fact that the tube in reality isn't straight, but bent), and the speed of it is 300 to 1000 km/s (most of the time, I assume).

This is needless to say simplifying it a lot, but maybe that helps.

Ty

 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you also agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy.