CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

30 minutes ago, nancy64 said:

Geomagnetic activities are changes that occur when the magnetic field of the Earth changes due to solar wind or other external factors. It is possible that charged particles from the sun can cause changes in the Earth's magnetic fields. These fluctuations can affect the strength and direction of the field. It is possible to measure geomagnetic activity by using many different indices, such as the K-index, which measures the way that Earth's magnetic field changes. Activating the earth's magnetic field too strongly can cause a large number of problems, such as power outages and problems with radio communications. When there is a strong geomagnetic signal, it is possible to predict and plan for weather events that could impact technology and infrastructure on Earth.

Not sure why you're quoting me here; this very generic statement seems to be entirely unrelated to what I wrote, which was a specific explanation of why the density of the Solar wind is sometimes higher without any CME occurring.

Hace 25 minutos, Jesterface23 dijo:

Todo sigue siendo el CH HSS . El HSS nos ha enfrentado durante unos 2 días. Las velocidades comenzarán a disminuir en los próximos días.

Although I'm also surprised, that no one else talks about solar wind at 600 km per second in this it must have been 2 days since it started, is that neither spaceweather.com nor solar ham, it seemed as if nobody noticed that the solar wind was at 600 km per second in these 2 days

Edited by Isatsuki San

8 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

Although I'm also surprised, that no one else talks about solar wind at 600 km per second in this it must have been 2 days since it started, is that neither spaceweather.com nor solar ham, it seemed as if nobody noticed that the solar wind was at 600 km per second in these 2 days

It’s an ongoing HSS we talked about. The IMF is super weak, so not much aurora activity likely. KP4-5 maybe. After the recent G4s this past month, I think KP4 is hardly worth mentioning for many of us. 

We’re spoiled and only want strong storms!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

Probably because it doesn't really have much of an effect for the most part. Maybe if it had broken KP5 at some point people would mention it. The density is so low, and there is no consistently and significantly negative Bz, so as you can tell the high speed itself is not leading to any noteworthy geomagnetic activity.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Probably because it doesn't really have much of an effect for the most part. Maybe if it had broken KP5 at some point people would mention it. The density is so low, and there is no consistently and significantly negative Bz, so as you can tell the high speed itself is not leading to any noteworthy geomagnetic activity.

And if you can be that too 

8 minutes ago, Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco said:

A CME has arrived :

Imapacto.png

If it is a CME I am trying to find out where it came from. It might be an SIR ahead of the CH HSS and there happens to be no solar wind data from ACE or SOHO currently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Si es un CME, estoy tratando de averiguar de dónde vino. Podría ser un SIR por delante del CH HSS y actualmente no hay datos de viento solar de ACE o SOHO .

No wonder I saw the epam like this, it seemed strange to me I said: wait, that didn't mean that there was a cme nearby?Electron Proton y Alpha Monitor (EPAM)

1 minute ago, Isatsuki San said:

No wonder I saw the epam like this, it seemed strange to me I said: wait, that didn't mean that there was a cme nearby?Electron Proton y Alpha Monitor (EPAM)

I had noticed there was a shift in the solar wind and IMF back around /05 17:00Z, so something seemed to change then to allow the EPAM to rise. Currently the temperature seems fairly low for a CME arrival, if I'd trust only DSCOVR alone. We will wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Me di cuenta de que hubo un cambio en el viento solar y el IMF alrededor de /05 17:00Z, por lo que algo pareció cambiar para permitir que el EPAM aumentara. Actualmente, la temperatura parece bastante baja para una llegada de CME , si confiaría solo en DSCOVR . Esperaremos y veremos.

stereo seems to be "formed an impact" but he is right we should also see soho and ace

beacon_insitu (3).gif

18 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I had noticed there was a shift in the solar wind and IMF back around /05 17:00Z, so something seemed to change then to allow the EPAM to rise. Currently the temperature seems fairly low for a CME arrival, if I'd trust only DSCOVR alone. We will wait and see.

Well let us know! Was there a CH that could be responsible? 

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Well let us know! Was there a CH that could be responsible? 

A southern disk CH that was 20 degrees below us would be a good fit. A central disk CH would be in line for an arrival maybe early on the 7th.

9 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Un disco CH del sur que estuviera 20 grados por debajo de nosotros sería una buena opción. Un disco central CH estaría en línea para una llegada tal vez temprano el día 7.

it seems that solar ham says that he is a cme

8 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I'd still go with SIR. The temperature is low on ACE and DSCOVR, velocities are on the higher end for SIRs though, but if it is a CME it likely should have launched some time around the 3rd.

Possibly, it will be the C 5.2 solar flare on May 2. In my opinion, would that be cme I consider it the most probable?

Edited by Isatsuki San

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I tend to agree with it being a CME. Coronal holes don’t surprise us like this. @Jesterface23

It was forecast in advance, but was overshadowed here by other activity.

More on the general topic: https://www.neoc.com/webcam3/

Quick to see aurora on this one

Update: I'm crying

image.png.bdf3ce3cc67f85fd1f9005cb17abb525.png

Edited by Christopher S.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

There's the CH HSS with a sharp increase in temps. When the Bt is back down to baseline numbers is probably when the velocities and temps will be near peak, however long that takes.

I still think it's a cme, but okay 

6 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

I'd still go with SIR. The temperature is low on ACE and DSCOVR, velocities are on the higher end for SIRs though, but if it is a CME it likely should have launched some time around the 3rd.

There was that faint halo we discussed from Tuesday (02/05); it was ultimately ascribed to a farside event, but I saw some other people on Twitter spot the "stealthy" filament activity I mentioned in the Filaments thread too. Maybe that faint halo was actually a nearside event? I've noticed that filament eruptions tend to be what takes people by surprise the most, but maybe I'm extrapolating too much.

4 hours ago, Philalethes said:

There was that faint halo we discussed from Tuesday (02/05); it was ultimately ascribed to a farside event, but I saw some other people on Twitter spot the "stealthy" filament activity I mentioned in the Filaments thread too. Maybe that faint halo was actually a nearside event? I've noticed that filament eruptions tend to be what takes people by surprise the most, but maybe I'm extrapolating too much.

The filament CME is spotted in C2 imagery before the far side event, but looks to be more eastward. At this point it is a very clear SIR. The CIR started back around /05 17:00Z going down to favorable conditions with velocities near 330km/s. The SIR arrived at /06 00:30Z with low temperatures. The HSS transition may have begun around /06 04:00Z, but had clearly entered by /06 05:30Z with the temperature and velocity spike and we currently continue to be in a CIR/HSS transition zone. I see no signs of a CME arrival

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1