Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

19 minutes ago, RajSim said:

Its a bummer entire Northeast of US is cloudy tonight. Wishing our european members a great show!

It's very cloudy here in the U.K. at the moment. A slight chance cloud might lift in my locality around 3 a.m. !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

-17 south bz when the g4 storm was on that day 24 of manzo so it can be said that this storm barely surpassed it

The peak Dst was -163, and now we're at -170. There's also the Russell-McPherron effect near the equinoctes making geomagnetic activity more prevalent, so the fact that we're seeing more activity now despite last month's storm having occurred right after the equinox is further testament to this storm being stronger.

I did see the Bz flip just now, but it can flip back just as quickly; we'll see.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
  • Like 1

Just now, Philalethes Bythos said:

El pico Dst fue -163, y ahora estamos en -170. También está el  efecto Russell-McPherron cerca de los equinoccios, lo que hace que la actividad geomagnética sea más frecuente, por lo que el hecho de que estemos viendo más actividad ahora a pesar de que la tormenta del mes pasado ocurrió justo después del equinoccio es un testimonio más de que esta tormenta es más fuerte.

Vi el giro Bz hace un momento, pero puede retroceder con la misma rapidez; ya veremos.

Yes, the BZ towards the north is calm, I am at peace, it can be said that I am a hyperactive person and that when I am afraid of something I get very nervous, so as long as the BZ is in the north, calm down and I will be at peace.

9 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

The peak Dst was -163, and now we're at -170. There's also the Russell-McPherron effect near the equinoctes making geomagnetic activity more prevalent, so the fact that we're seeing more activity now despite last month's storm having occurred right after the equinox is further testament to this storm being stronger.

I did see the Bz flip just now, but it can flip back just as quickly; we'll see.

what do you expect if it flips back down?

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Have you seen the drop in temperature, speed, etc? 

I think that is because it has switched from DSCOVR to ACE for the moment.

A drop in temperature could indicate that we have been hit by the CME core. The core could also explain the rapid shift of the Bz.

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, arjemma said:

I think that is because it has switched from DSCOVR to ACE for the moment.

A drop in temperature could indicate that we have been hit by the CME core. The core could also explain the rapid shift of the Bz.

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

DSCOVR having issues. ACE was down and is back up, so I'm guessing the SWPC will switch to that soon.

ah, thanks. 
So we either hit the core (isnt that a bit early?) or its the different satellite. i remember unreliable data when they switch. the BZ seems to be accurate though since the KP is lessening.

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

So we either hit the core (isnt that a bit early?) or its the different satellite. i remember unreliable data when they switch. the BZ seems to be accurate though since the KP is lessening.

The sheath comes first and flux rope comes second. DSCOVR and ACE are slightly different, but the velocities seems to have risen to somewhere around 700km/s at this point.

Random guess of a flux rope arrival around 05:00Z, give or take a few hours

Edited by Jesterface23