Region 3078

MinYoongi

7 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

Emerging on C3... I think this is the most impressive one we have seen yet in this latest string of CMEs. I initially did not see any ejecta directed more to the N on C2, but C3 is showing a more complete picture. I'm actually wondering if these are multiple CMEs in very quick succession. The northern ejecta almost looks like it's a hair ahead of the denser stuff in the SW.

Capture.JPG

and what about trajectory now? :o looks cool :)

20220817_192600_2.0_anim.tim-den.gif

• Like 1

I look almost everywhere for imagery, but mainly JHelioviewer with differenced imagery. They have an online version here, https://helioviewer.org/.

In the coronagraph imagery a glancing blow would be on the side of the dull shock and direct hit would be the bright side with the flux rope. In this case, we might be right between the two.

Noting that this is two CMEs actually. the second is more southward and the first is directed south-southwest. I'm not sure if the second is Earth directed.

I'll go with a preliminary arrival time of 2022/08/20 02:00Z -4/+6 hours.

19 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But too far south right? (Only stereo available)

I think that might be an "illusion" of sorts arising from the fact that the filament isn't visible over the disc itself, if you look at the video on their site of the 304 Angstrom wavelength, it's easier to interpolate how it's moving out of the sunspot. It could be that it is indeed blowing out too far south, but it's hard to distinguish that from movement towards the line of sight that would be relatively faster instead, due to the lack of proper depth. To my untrained eyes it almost seems like a chunk of it could be moving towards us. I do however agree that it looks like the most sizable portion of it seems to be moving too far south.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos

The CME is Earth directed with another part bright, part dull halo. In C2 imagery it looks like a glancing blow if it is fast enough. Will need to confirm in C3 imagery once available.

Apparently I didn't give the C3 imagery enough time to load. I came to a preliminary arrival time of 2022/08/21 12:55Z -8/+12 hours for the imagery available so far.

Edited by Jesterface23

29 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The CME is Earth directed with another part bright, part dull halo. In C2 imagery it looks like a glancing blow if it is fast enough. Will need to confirm in C3 imagery once available.

I was just looking at C3, and there seems to be a noticeable halo component, still waiting for a bit more imagery there. Did you conclude that it was Earth-directed just by looking at C2, or something else?

Edited by Philalethes Bythos

11 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Did you conclude that it was Earth-directed just by looking at C2, or something else?

It can take as little as C2 imagery. As long as a halo is >180 degrees the CME is Earth directed. Given if a halo is near 180 degrees, odds are it may not make it to Earth though.

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

It can take as little as C2 imagery. As long as a halo is >180 degrees the CME is Earth directed. Given if a halo is near 180 degrees, odds are it may not make it to Earth though.

Agreed, I rather meant that I was personally struggling to make out a halo on C2; now that I look closer I think I can see it quite faintly. On the beginning of the C3 imagery it's easier to see, and it seems like there's a slight halo all the way around (360 degrees), but I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

That’s the one I’m talking about

Heh; I commented it just as I saw the "new reply" notification pop up, I was also talking about that one.

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Here's a model for today and im really surprised

It is a pretty good CME, but I think the bulk went south and that may show in later model runs.

13 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Is that something NOAA or someone else releases, or do you process their imagery yourself?

I use JHelioviewer, but Helioviewer is an online version, https://helioviewer.org/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i think lasco has diff imagery themselfes or what do you mean

Perhaps I'm not interpreting that right. When I think of differenced imagery, I think about imagery that has been processed to highlight only the relevant portions, like when you e.g. change saturation or contrast of images to highlight details that stand out or pieces that have been manipulated. Some searches leads me to believe that this indeed what is referenced here, as I found some results indicating that means imagery where you subtract the pre-CME imagery from the post-CME imagery. If this is available for LASCO, I'm not aware of it.

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I use JHelioviewer, but Helioviewer is an online version, https://helioviewer.org/

I see, interesting. There's a package for it in the AUR, I'll check it out.

• Cool 1