Region 3078

MinYoongi

6 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

If you apply the rules of the magnetic complexity of sunspots you’ll see it has a beta-gamma-delta configuration! There is a clear delta visible in the region.

Yeah Sander just had a look at updated pic thanks

N.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

If you apply the rules of the magnetic complexity of sunspots you’ll see it has a beta-gamma-delta configuration! There is a clear delta visible in the region.

Just came here to ask. But i cant find the delta (i still suck at imagery interpretation) can someone maybe show me where the delta is ?

58 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Just came here to ask. But i cant find the delta (i still suck at imagery interpretation) can someone maybe show me where the delta is ?

It's really simple. So the basic rule is that within the penumbral area of the main polarity there is one or more sunspots with opposite polarity. In this case we have a very easy example as the core of the region is blue on the magnetogram and to the right of that blue zone there is a red zone and when you compare that with the HMI you'll see that the red part contains two spots, and those are within the penumbral area of the main polarity (blue) so that's a delta. 

For completeness, I've indicated the two both on HMI and magnetogram, so you'll now be able to identify every delta in the future 😉 

3078_HMI.png3078_magnetogram.png

PS.: There's also a delta in the making in the left part but the penumbral area there is not that big so I left that out as of now but can change. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It's really simple. So the basic rule is that within the penumbral area of the main polarity there is one or more sunspots with opposite polarity. In this case we have a very easy example as the core of the region is blue on the magnetogram and to the right of that blue zone there is a red zone and when you compare that with the HMI you'll see that the red part contains two spots, and those are within the penumbral area of the main polarity (blue) so that's a delta. 

For completeness, I've indicated the two both on HMI and magnetogram, so you'll now be able to identify every delta in the future 😉 

PS.: There's also a delta in the making in the left part but the penumbral area there is not that big so I left that out as of now but can change. 

Ah! Thank you! 🙂 

I noticed the left one, but the spots are not big as of yet so i dont really pay much attention to them.

Did that delta form quickly? Because yesterday it looked pretty boring.

• Like 1

7 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Ah! Thank you! 🙂 

I noticed the left one, but the spots are not big as of yet so i dont really pay much attention to them.

Did that delta form quickly? Because yesterday it looked pretty boring.

It changed a lot in 24h, rapidly changing regions can turn into complex regions fast and pose a stronger threat for stronger solar flares. So that's the main reason to learn to magnetically classify sunspot regions so you can know this before SWPC gives an update on the classification during the day. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Wow, this is looking like a very complex AR! I’m glad, it’s been a while since we had some decent fireworks. 

Edited by Orneno

10 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

May be a nooby question, but isnt the AR too far south?

It will depend on the CME characteristics and propagation as a CME is an ever expanding cloud. But we haven’t had a CME yet, let’s wait if there will be any significant solar flare and then see ;) 

And as of now a R1 radio blackout 😎 and yes by region 3078

2 minutes ago, mozy said:

Finally some action again 😎

welcome back mozy 😛 

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It will depend on the CME characteristics and propagation as a CME is an ever expanding cloud. But we haven’t had a CME yet, let’s wait if there will be any significant solar flare and then see ;) 

And as of now a R1 radio blackout 😎 and yes by region 3078

yeah true! I just thought that maybe that far south is an unfavorable position.