Region 3078

MinYoongi

4 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It's really simple. So the basic rule is that within the penumbral area of the main polarity there is one or more sunspots with opposite polarity. In this case we have a very easy example as the core of the region is blue on the magnetogram and to the right of that blue zone there is a red zone and when you compare that with the HMI you'll see that the red part contains two spots, and those are within the penumbral area of the main polarity (blue) so that's a delta. 

For completeness, I've indicated the two both on HMI and magnetogram, so you'll now be able to identify every delta in the future 😉 

3078_HMI.png3078_magnetogram.png

PS.: There's also a delta in the making in the left part but the penumbral area there is not that big so I left that out as of now but can change. 

Hi Sander,

Those two spots do not appear to be "delta" to me. Forgive me, I'm a bit new to sunspot classification, but those two spots do not appear to be in a single penumbra of opposite polarity.  That doesn't (to me) to be the case with this spot.

I do however, see a number (several ) of small deltas on the left and lower left. As soon as I can get some bandwidth, I'll send a pic of what I mean.

2 minuten geleden, WildWill zei:

Those two spots do not appear to be "delta" to me. Forgive me, I'm a bit new to sunspot classification, but those two spots do not appear to be in a single penumbra of opposite polarity.  That doesn't (to me) to be the case with this spot.

It’s in the same penumbral area of the main polarity spots (even though penumbral area has other polarity!) making them delta spots. 
the spots on the left have one delta (as it has grown since my last analysis)

2 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It’s in the same penumbral area of the main polarity spots (even though penumbral area has other polarity!) making them delta spots. 

To me it appears like the left one has grown a tad, and the right (bigger) one has shrunken/drifted a bit? 

39 minutes ago, Orneno said:

SpaceWeatherLive, section/tab called “solar images” and then hit GOES/SUVI, or if you’re not on mobile then GOES is the option in the menu, not Solar Images 

Thank you!

• Like 1

@WildWill I've taken a closer look again, five delta spots in the region, two in the western part one in the eastern part and two in the bottom part. Western part had the most growth in strength the others two are stable and have some magnetic shear and two new ones at the bottom. It's a good structure that gives me confidence for more M-class solar activity with a slight chance for X-class.

3078_HMI.png3078_Magnetogram.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

@WildWill I've taken a closer look again, five delta spots in the region, two in the western part one in the eastern part and two in the bottom part. Western part had the most growth in strength the others two are stable and have some magnetic shear and two new ones at the bottom. It's a good structure that gives me confidence for more M-class solar activity with a slight chance for X-class.

3078_HMI.png3078_Magnetogram.png

Which ones have the magnetic Shear? How do you see it?

Also, does it matter how close together inside the shared penumbra the spots are?

because to me atleast 2 of the ones you shown are so tiny/porelike i wouldnt even have noticed them.

Zojuist, MinYoongi zei:

Which ones have the magnetic Shear? How do you see it?

Also, does it matter how close together inside the shared penumbra the spots are?

If two spots of opposite polarity are squashed closely together there’s a strong magnetic shear. The two right deltas to the right are relatively close to the opposite polarity elongated spot

• Like 1

1 minuut geleden, MinYoongi zei:

So the other deltas dont have such strong shear because theyre not squashed in like the western ones.

They can also contribute to solar flares but the real strong fireworks only happen when there’s enough mix (BGD) and shear. Most regions with strong magnetic shear created the best X-class events 😊

So with this region with several delta structures we’ll likely see more M-class solar flares, if the shear gets stronger there might be an X in the making.

let’s hope the region continues to evolve so we’ll get a nice active period 😎

35 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, but this is what i see at the location you specified: 70886D1B-21A1-492A-9FE6-8F7E42A96F15.jpeg.11a8e5afff291a65221bf7b6bd7d0581.jpegF40E9EE3-CB95-48E3-959C-A79386DC6CFA.jpeg.5033a4696437f82ecb20e9ad42b95445.jpeg

In the non-colorized magnetogram, we can see clearly that the area is not surrounded or "inside" the penumbra. But, I was looking at the big spot, here we can see the two small white dots on the west side... Thee also appears to me to be one on the north side... 

Additionally, we can see a couple of deltas on the left - those tiny white dots to the left of the main (leading) region.  On the colorized version, we can see a number of additional small, tiny delta's trying to poke thru.  
4FF0EA69-7491-48BC-AC08-39B71795EAA4.jpeg.5e2cb2560765007948d641e238f71bbc.jpeg

Thanks!

WNA

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 1

16 minuten geleden, WildWill zei:

In the non-colorized magnetogram, we can see clearly that the area is not surrounded or "inside" the penumbra.

You’re looking it wrong, you’re still new at this so we’re here to help ;). On the magnetogram you can’t see the penumbral area, it only shows the magnetic polarity zones with its field strength (positive blue or negative red). So each region has a main polarity (with a difference between north and Southern Hemisphere where north is negative and south is positive), this region on the Southern Hemisphere has as main polarity + (blue). Each spot has its own polarity but the penumbral area can have multiple polarities as there is no distinguishment visually. So within the same penumbral area of the main polarity spots there can be spots of opposite polarity and those are the delta spots. Or simple said: have a penumbral area with one red and one blue spot and you have a delta 😜

ps: your images are so small I couldn’t even see it 🙈

• Like 1

They are small, sorry... if ya click on em, you can resize them a bit..

I was under the impression that that the HMI Magnetogram (non colorized), would help to show you whether your spot is completely within the penumbra of an opposite polarity.  I.e, a "black" spot completely inside a "white" area and Vice versa. Is that not so? 

Thanks

WA

19 minuten geleden, WildWill zei:

I was under the impression that that the HMI Magnetogram (non colorized), would help to show you whether your spot is completely within the penumbra of an opposite polarity.  I.e, a "black" spot completely inside a "white" area and Vice versa. Is that not so? 

Well before SDO the black/white magnetogram was all we had and it was horrible to work with 😜 but it was also due to the resolution of SOHO 😂. With SDO we have now bigger resolution and a more clear magnetogram that also displays the field strength (only in colorised) which is an extra.

the magnetogram only shows the polarity of what’s underneath it regardless of wether it’s a spot or penumbral area. That’s why you’ll always need to combine HMI (visual) with the magnetogram to be able to see each spots polarity and if it’s in a confined penumbral area visually or not. So purely based on a magnetogram you can’t do magnetic classification 😉

21 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

People without mod image upload perms have to do workarounds sometimes 😆

Users have image upload permission but each user has a disk space limit to save server costs. Members can always remove earlier images to free space. 

• Like 2

I've been looking at 4 things, Magnetogram, colorized Magnetogram, white light & enhanced. I only use the black and white to determine if a spot is completely surrounded by opposite polarity, after looking at the colorized and not being able to make a determination from it. The others are just spot identification not classification. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Well before SDO the black/white magnetogram was all we had and it was horrible to work with 😜 but it was also due to the resolution of SOHO 😂. With SDO we have now bigger resolution and a more clear magnetogram that also displays the field strength (only in colorised) which is an extra.

the magnetogram only shows the polarity of what’s underneath it regardless of wether it’s a spot or penumbral area. That’s why you’ll always need to combine HMI (visual) with the magnetogram to be able to see each spots polarity and if it’s in a confined penumbral area visually or not. So purely based on a magnetogram you can’t do magnetic classification 😉

Users have image upload permission but each user has a disk space limit to save server costs. Members can always remove earlier images to free space. 

I screenshot my stuff with gyazo and then copy paste the pictures. no limit that way since theyre stored on the gyazo server and only displayed here, like tweets get embedded.

Hello, Am a newbie! Have been following the forum since last Sep. Fortunate to have had witnessed the spectacle at Maine on a solo aurora hunting trip on Nov 4th 2021, thanks to this forum. Ever since , I want to take the family (we live in Boston) for them to experience. But, that's yet to work out. I see the Sun nicely warming up in time for the start of the season. Curios to see the two successive M flares from 3078 today would give us a show. Usually, I wait for the verdict to be made by expert moderators. Thought would learn something :)  
How do I link the solar flares and if there is an associated CME to the list under as captured by CACTUS (under Latest CME link). The onset times in UTC don't seem to match. I know there is lag in knowing if there was an associated CME and would it be earth directed, as we have to wait for LASCO. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It's really simple. So the basic rule is that within the penumbral area of the main polarity there is one or more sunspots with opposite polarity. In this case we have a very easy example as the core of the region is blue on the magnetogram and to the right of that blue zone there is a red zone and when you compare that with the HMI you'll see that the red part contains two spots, and those are within the penumbral area of the main polarity (blue) so that's a delta. 

For completeness, I've indicated the two both on HMI and magnetogram, so you'll now be able to identify every delta in the future 😉 

3078_HMI.png3078_magnetogram.png

PS.: There's also a delta in the making in the left part but the penumbral area there is not that big so I left that out as of now but can change. 

Thanks for that Sander. I had been trying to make it work on the basis of each spot having an umbra and penumbra, as indicated below 🙄

latest_4096_HMIBC_15_08_2022.jpg.4829006c7d2600ab7a6413c47da9b463.jpg