AR2993/2994: X flare!

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Can you please explain that for dumb people? (me) 

The unit for the “strength” number is a measurement of how large an angle the AR draws out on the surface of the sun, so it seems to be an estimate of how big the colored area of the AR is. 

Just now, Orneno said:

The unit for the “strength” number is a measurement of how large an angle the AR draws out on the surface of the sun, so it seems to be an estimate of how big the colored area of the AR is. 

So it is not an indication of how "strong" or "complex" the Region is? I'm still interested in the CME generated today. Pretty fast according to cactus, but ... i dont know how good/precise cactus is? 

Just now, MinYoongi said:

So it is not an indication of how "strong" or "complex" the Region is? I'm still interested in the CME generated today. Pretty fast according to cactus, but ... i dont know how good/precise cactus is? 

TL;DR : Can it be a Dud when it comes around? 

Just now, MinYoongi said:

If I’m not mistaken, CACTUS is pretty accurate 

Tf why is autocorrect being dumb

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Can it be a Dud when it comes around? 

It’s a possibility. 

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Okay. Because in the Nasa model, the velocity didnt look like ~1800km/s. I'll link it so you guys can look at it.

https://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/iSWACygnetStreamer?timestamp=2038-01-23+00%3A44%3A00&window=-1&cygnetId=261

I don’t know how to tell CME speed so I don’t know if that does or doesn’t look like 1800km/s

Edited by Solarflaretracker200

31 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

So it is not an indication of how "strong" or "complex" the Region is? 

Here is the reference document.  Discusses both strength and signature.  These are not fundamental physical quantities but derived metrics quantifying the features described in the paper.

http://jsoc.stanford.edu/data/farside/explanation.pdf 

Edited by Drax Spacex
wordsmithery
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Drax Spacex said:

Discusses both strength and signature.  These are not fundamental physical quantities but derived metrics quantifying the features described in the paper.

http://jsoc.stanford.edu/data/farside/explanation.pdf 

Maybe it's the language barrier, but can you maybe explain this a bit easier-to-understand? I have such a hard time wrapping my mind around this whole thing. Read this a few times now, I'm sorry.

I would not be so bold to claim that I understand the paper entirely.  I was mainly answering the question what is "strength" using dimensional analysis by looking at the units (microhemispheres) which indicates an angular size - same as used to describe sunspot size.  I presume an automated image analysis calculates the area of the Strong Active Region (SAR) and calls it "strength."

• Like 1

Just now, Drax Spacex said:

I would not be so bold to claim that I understand the paper entirely.  I was mainly answering the question what is "strength" using dimensional analysis by looking at the units (microhemispheres) which indicates an angular size - same as used to describe sunspot size.  I presume an automated image analysis calculates the area of the Strong Active Region (SAR) and calls it "strength."

Ah. Yeah so pretty much what Orneno said about Area.

I saw something with sound helioseismology too on the stereo/gong farside maps but its too specific for me to understand.

What do you Guys think of 2975 looking at EUVI? 

47 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

It’s a possibility. 

I think it looks pretty huge in euvi but maybe its post eruption arcades?

13 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Looking on Stereo the region is not particularly bright, so probably not very active. I think that the brighter patch on the trailing edge could possibly even be the old AR2976.

ahead_euvi_195_latest13-04-22.jpg.04dacf395b4c2a6ecaf5b91888e63cee.jpg

Btw i think you encircled an area thats already visible on the earth facing disc? Look at the coronal hole

50 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Btw i think you encircled an area thats already visible on the earth facing disc? Look at the coronal hole

Yes, I think that’s the 2990 area. 

Check out these massive bright loops! Is this a glimpse of the possibly large returning 2975?

I know it’s a long ways behind even the STEREO limb still, but those loop stand so high off the surface we can see them from pretty far around the corner. 

8623AF73-D7E7-4295-8027-78B39D657602.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Check out these massive bright loops! Is this a glimpse of the possibly large returning 2975?

I know it’s a long ways behind even the STEREO limb still, but those loop stand so high off the surface we can see them from pretty far around the corner. 

What do you think it is?? AR2975?

36 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Yeah. But like i said, could those be post eruption arcades? Or what exactly do/could they indicate? Magnetically complexity? 

Ive read the region will start turning to the limb on saturday. What do you think? Longer?

27 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I strongly think so :)

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Ive read the region will start turning to the limb on saturday. What do you think? Longer?

The STEREO limb, maybe, not the Earth-limb. 

35 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Yes I think so 

• Like 1

Just now, Orneno said:

The STEREO limb, maybe, not the Earth-limb. 

Yes I think so 

But Stereo is not that Far from earth.. I read on the Farside-Map Page 5 Days from Limb. Do you Agree with that? Someone on Twitter wrote as early as Saturday or something along those lines.

I still try to figure out how long before we can see it on SDO on our Limb + How many days until somewhat geoeffective

9 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I referred to yesterday's synoptic map

synoptic-map_apr13_02-56(red).jpg.5a5fd86fcfa27ebf44ab9d21060a8827.jpg

Using Coronal Hole 75 as a reference I believed that the two leading spots were ARs 2988 and 2989. Those spots were separated by about 39 degrees (equivalent to 3 days rotation, so it seemed reasonable that the circled area could be AR2975 returning. Checking again I can see that the higher spot is too high . That means that the area I circled was actually AR 2989. Subsequently, during the day, a new AR to the west of AR 2989  was identified as AR2990, so that probably developed from the faint faculae.

I agree that AR2975 is still behind the limb on Stereo.