CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Region 3590

Ingolf

12 minutes ago, Trip said:

Dang, here it is!

Also, I realize the probability is extremely low, but what are the chances the recent X1.6 had an impact on the ongoing communications outages for cellular data? I'm just looking at some graphs and it seems like they happened at nearly the same time, a bit later on the outages side. Just speculating..

https://www.space.com/sun-2-solar-flares-february-22-2024-cell-phone-outages

Unlikely. Theres only one provider affected... also no earth directed CME (which wouldnt have impacted in 5 minutes either). we had many, many X flares this cycle with no effect on AT&T or other providers. I encourage you to think a bit further. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Trip said:

Dang, here it is!

Also, I realize the probability is extremely low, but what are the chances the recent X1.6 had an impact on the ongoing communications outages for cellular data? I'm just looking at some graphs and it seems like they happened at nearly the same time, a bit later on the outages side. Just speculating..

Extremely unlikely as there would have had to been radio emissions above 30GHz and even up to 300GHz frequency. We are talking about high R4-R5 radio black outs which only can be caused by extreme X-ray events. 

Edited by Parabolic
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Unlikely. Theres only one provider affected... also no earth directed CME (which wouldnt have impacted in 5 minutes either). we had many, many X flares this cycle with no effect on AT&T or other providers. I encourage you to think a bit further. 

There are multiple providers affected though if you check https://downdetector.com/

At&t, T-Mobile, Verizon, Consumer Cellular, Boost mobile, Straight Talk, even Tracfone of all things. Some larger cities are saying they aren't able to use their emergency lines for police and rescue. But I digress, I'm no expert on the topic. Between the news stories and timing of each event, seemed worth looking into.

12 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

Extremely unlikely as there would have had to been radio emissions above 30GHz and even up to 300GHz frequency. We are talking about high R4-R5 radio black outs which only can be caused by extreme X-ray events. 

Good info, thank you 🙌
Is that specifically for disrupting the ability to bounce signals through the ionosphere, or are there also possible electrical effects on the lines carrying power to the towers? (considering an outburst was large enough)

33 minutes ago, Trip said:

https://www.space.com/sun-2-solar-flares-february-22-2024-cell-phone-outages

Hmm. How in the world did they mess that article up so badly. They didn't even seem to take the time of the second flare into account, at night.

7 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Hmm. How in the world did they mess that article up so badly. They didn't even seem to take the time of the second flare into account, at night.

Given how fast it was put up, likely they just wanted to put something out as fast as possible to be listed in top news stories/sources when people searched about phone outages. Looks like they used the listed times for maximum intensity for each.

Edited by Trip
Including which times used*

14 minutes ago, Trip said:

There are multiple providers affected though if you check https://downdetector.com/

At&t, T-Mobile, Verizon, Consumer Cellular, Boost mobile, Straight Talk, even Tracfone of all things. Some larger cities are saying they aren't able to use their emergency lines for police and rescue. But I digress, I'm no expert on the topic. Between the news stories and timing of each event, seemed worth looking into.

Judging by some of the services that are seeing outages on that site I'd say it looks more like some issue with the Internet, but I haven't looked into it at all. I'd assume it's just coincidence.

18 minutes ago, Trip said:

Is that specifically for disrupting the ability to bounce signals through the ionosphere, or are there also possible electrical effects on the lines carrying power to the towers? (considering an outburst was large enough)

It would only be for radio communications, electrical effects on wires is something you'd only see from geomagnetic storms rather than from flares themselves.

• Like 2

re: multiple carriers affected:

My understanding is that the problem is with ATT carrier. DownDetector has complaints from those initiating calls from other carriers....where the recipient is on ATT. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

re: multiple carriers affected:

My understanding is that the problem is with ATT carrier. DownDetector has complaints from those initiating calls from other carriers....where the recipient is on ATT. 

I used Downdetector to check and see the overall networks in complaint, but between myself and the office, I can confirm T-Mobile, and Verizon are having issues of their own as well as At&t. It seems to be sporadic for everyone though. Just a couple miles away a coworker is using At&t just fine and hasn't had issues all day.

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I dont think so. @tniickck had a chart in here a few days ago, but i dont remember it fully.

Yes I’m almost certain @MinYoongi is correct in her observation.  However its gotta be very close.   As @arjemma remarked a while back about another monster. “ This region is a Beast!”   Well, maybe its Beast meets Megabeast now! It’s gotta be close. And hey, it ain’t 10486 from 2003 with its high-end X series that just refused to die, but it’s certainly outperforming my expectations so far! 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Yes the widespread cellular outage is real.  And yes the commencement of the outages were correlated, within a few hours after the second X flare.  But this doesn't imply a causal relationship.

Lol, yes we are passed this already.

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I dont think so. @tniickck had a chart in here a few days ago, but i dont remember it fully.

it really is. if it won’t get it's size reduced by the end of the day, it means it will be the largest of the cycle. the top 1 now is a group from May 2022 (1190 in size), the top2 is ar3354 with 1150

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tniickck said:

it really is. if it won’t get it's size reduced by the end of the day, it means it will be the largest of the cycle. the top 1 now is a group from May 2022 (1190 in size), the top2 is ar3354 with 1150

Thank you :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Justanerd said:

Are the Type II & Type IV radio emission alerts from the x flares?

I have never seen the estimated velocity so low (154 km/s) on a radio emission. Just curious 

I know that’s a dumb question because at 154km/s it would have taken 11.25 days for those emissions to reach earth so what/where are they coming from? Is the advised ev a typo?

I’m gonna pop in here with a brief thing If I may and try to clarify(!) a misunderstanding I had a few weeks ago as well that although I was close, I missed the ferry, so to speak! @Newbie being much smarter than me stepped up and helped me visualise how wave travel through the sun from a large event may travel through the suns plasma and exit in our direction even when we are unable to see the physical representation of a huge shock on the far side!! Amazing. Then I thought about it and recalled that I have used plasma cutting torches before and plasma is as electrically conductive as lightning, so of course it can!  Wish I’d spent more time in school in the 1960s and less time partying sometimes!  Hahaha 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

To get a bit back to topic, how is the region looking complexity wise?

@MinYoongiJust a casual glance says it has not lost any of its complexity yet, and growing as I type this.  I haven’t checked the synoptic map. But it certainly looks larger and I’m lousy at deltas too perhaps @tniickck will weigh in here. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

To get a bit back to topic, how is the region looking complexity wise?

Would be nice if you or someone else could post a picture and show delta areas. I never see them. 

I compared last both SDO 171 images, seems the region is getting a little bit more active and unfortunately magnetic fields went stronger. 

9 minutes ago, AurorahunterPA said:

Ugggghhhh it is so close to geoeffective position. If it could just blast a doozey right at us tomorrow while my area is sunny over this weekend that would be CLUTCH!!! COME ON LETS GOOOO 3590 KEEP EM COMINGGG!

It is actually sunny in Seattle today!  Haven’t seen it in a few months!  Haha. Amen @AurorahunterPA 

• Like 1